Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TREX Decks

TREX Decks

Anyone have Trex decking. Mine is falling apart after just 5 years of use. There is a class action litigation filed that is intended to handle serious warranty issues. This is going to be at least a $10,000 settlement anyone else been thru this?
    Do Not buy TREX it is a Bull Shit product 25yr warranty my ass
    TREX deck =
    "Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is" -Charles DeMar
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I'm a carpenter who has installed several Trex decks and would never use it at my own home. That said, is it the actual Trex material falling apart or was conventional wood framing used underneath?

No the Trex is breaking down. The product was made in a Nevada plant and has been known to fall apart
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Ipe wood is the only way to go for decks. It is a bitch to work with but will out last the house.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

I have seen multiple Trex decks that have failed. A coworker of mrs rootskier has a 1400 square foot deck that failed and the only thing he got out of the deal was two units of new Trex delivered. Fucking bullshit.

The stuff blows ass. Go with Ipe or one of the similar rainforest woods, or better yet, a paver patio.

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    Ipe wood is the only way to go for decks. It is a bitch to work with but will out last the house.
    I'll quote this to make sure people get it. Go IPE or don't build the deck. Just finished mine and while the installation sucked in so many ways, I will never need to worry about that deck again.

what does IPE stand for ?

looking at making a small deck ... thinking cedar or treated

Pavers! +++++++++++++++1

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    what does IPE stand for
    It's a rainforest wood that actually encompasses a few different species that lumberyards/builders tend to call Ipe.

It's hell to work with (heavy, hard on tools, requires predrilling for screws) but will outlast just about anything and look good for a long time.

i hate rainforests, so sounds like a win/win.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I have seen multiple Trex decks that have failed. A coworker of mrs rootskier has a 1400 square foot deck that failed and the only thing he got out of the deal was two units of new Trex delivered. Fucking bullshit.

The stuff blows ass. Go with Ipe or one of the similar rainforest woods, or better yet, a paver patio.

????????? no replacement labor, removal ect....WTF

Quote Originally Posted by yonskion View Post
    ????????? no replacement labor, removal ect....WTF
    He's too nice or something...I wondered the same thing. I think the deal is that one of the units was like 75% of the replacement pieces but they gave him two full units (or three or whatever, I was drunk last time I was there) so he got twice as much as he needed and thinks he scored.

on class action suits the settlement is prepared so you get what you get I think.
    I would not feel good about selling the free material to anyone even at 50% of retail

Had two clients that I represented in litigation with a similar product for shingles called American Cemwood. Basically, they made shingles from a mixture of wood chips and Portland cement. Several problems arose. They did not include any pre-drilled or pre-formed nail holes so when you drove in the nail, it started hairline cracks in the shingle. Time, water, freeze and thaw fractured the shingle, and they would come sliding off the roof. A 12" wide shingle 3/4" of an inch thick and about 10" long coming off a two story roof was not a good thing.

Other problem was what you are experiencing here, retention of moisture causing the wood particles to swell and blowing up the product. Great idea, bad design/execution. There is virtually no way to seal the product from exposure to moisture. It just delaminates.

Fortunately American Cemwood was bought by Weyerhauser Company who had the bucks to pony up about $140 million in settlement of class action suits.
    http://www.cemwoodclaims.com/

Looks like Trex has done the same at least for some claimants.

http://www.trex.com/legal/classaction.asp

What are some good composite options out there if you don't have the choice of real wood? We can't build a wood deck due to building code.

...eseehc fo modgnik eht ni ssertrof reeb A
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    i hate rainforests, so sounds like a win/win.
    LOLZ....
    pmiP triD remroF

-dna-

!!!timoV cimotA erutuF

-ottom-

"!!!emit a ta anigav eno dlroW eht gnirolpxE"

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle23 View Post
    What are some good composite options out there if you don't have the choice of real wood? We can't build a wood deck due to building code.
    Would you mind expanding on this? I have never heard of a building code not allowing wood decking. Fire danger? Are you framing the structure of the deck out of wood or steel? I'm just curious.

I looked at TimberTech before I decided on IPE. It seemed to be better construction than Trex.

Lattitudes by New Cedar is supposedly good. It's going on three years now, but I used Rhino for mine and have just slight problems like two or three bubbles over the whole deck. The place I bought the Rhino said Trex was shit and they wouldn't carry it.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by SorryBro View Post
    Would you mind expanding on this? I have never heard of a building code not allowing wood decking. Fire danger? Are you framing the structure of the deck out of wood or steel? I'm just curious.

I looked at TimberTech before I decided on IPE. It seemed to be better construction than Trex.
    Yes to the fire danger (in the mountains), and yes to extremely strict building codes in Boulder County, Colorado. I don't know about the framing though. We're probably 1-2 yrs from being able to have the money for a 2nd story deck, so we're in the initial stages of figuring it out.

jeebus that's bad news Labelle - I'm in eastern boulder cty and have expected to add some wood decking to my existing deck. Are you saying the county code doesn't allow wood decking or is that maybe a mountain/fire danger thing?

Quote Originally Posted by yonskion View Post
    There is a class action litigation filed that is intended to handle serious warranty issues. This is going to be at least a $10,000 settlement
    No it's not.

As mentioned later in the thread you'll get a couple of packs of decking or something.

If you wanted to sue for your actual losses/remediation you probably should have opted out of the class action, issued separate proceedings and borne the risks & costs of litigation. Unfortunately that's the way class actions work. Punishing the defendant (to a degree) but rarely fixes the problem faced by individual plaintiffs - who in most cases didn't know they've suffered a "loss" until the post card arrived in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    No it's not.

As mentioned later in the thread you'll get a couple of packs of decking or something.

If you wanted to sue for your actual losses/remediation you probably should have opted out of the class action, issued separate proceedings and borne the risks & costs of litigation. Unfortunately that's the way class actions work. Punishing the defendant (to a degree) but rarely fixes the problem faced by individual plaintiffs - who in most cases didn't know they've suffered a "loss" until the post card arrived in the mail.
    I have come to the unfortunate realization Trex =

If you wanted an ugly deck just use pressure treated?

Would have lasted and you could have joined the chromated arsenic suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    It's a rainforest wood that actually encompasses a few different species that lumberyards/builders tend to call Ipe.

It's hell to work with (heavy, hard on tools, requires predrilling for screws) but will outlast just about anything and look good for a long time.
    It's also referred to as Brazilian Redwood.

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle23 View Post
    Yes to the fire danger (in the mountains), and yes to extremely strict building codes in Boulder County, Colorado. I don't know about the framing though. We're probably 1-2 yrs from being able to have the money for a 2nd story deck, so we're in the initial stages of figuring it out.
    I'm pretty sure Ipe has a class 1 fire rating, or whatever it is concrete has. Check and see what they say at the city offices.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.