Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Snow depth

Snow depth

Hi all

I'm new and naive here so firstly hello all. Secondly, I need help on snow depths.

I've been to uni/college, done a few seasons, got a job, decided it was rubbish, got another job, decided it was rubbish, traveled, got a decent job and now I'm in the market to move away to ski more more more. Practicalities aside (job etc) which I'm on top of, I'm struggling between Europe and North America as a place to set up. Skied a reasonable amount in Europe, 3 seasons, but never in N.America.

I would love to live in Europe where friends and family could visit but, having researched all the snow depths for resorts where I would be keen to go, North America consitently gets at least double the amount of snow compared to Europe. So, without wanting to offend anyone, am I right in thinking that Europe, lifestyle aside, doesn't really offer the skiing experience that North America does?

either place is probably an upgrade from where you live now.
    www.skiwisp.com
    Home sweet home.

I hear Verbier and Chamonix really suck.

The States may get more snow, and lots of snow is nice but skiing is about terrain.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I would agree about terrain but if you compare euro places like that to, for sake of argument, BC resorts like Whistler/Fernie/Revelstoke, would you still say the same?

Easy decision: pick up a helicopter cheap on craigslist, head to Alaska.

I grew up skiing in the kootenays. I've had a season pass at many of the different resorts here over my skibum career. It seems they all have good points and bad points. After a season in Chamonix the resorts here were anticlimatic, except for the powder skiing/ tree skiing. I have had a sled for the last 16 years and find exploring the mountains here is what stokes me. There are no boundarys. A little less quantity but the quality is life altering.
    Snow quality and snow quantity has probably been talked about pretty heavily on this site. All the different skiing experiences seem to be worth doing though.
    Variety is the spice of life. Enjoy!

So many variables, such a personal decision. If you're thinking of transplanting your life for several years rather than just another season, I think considerations besides pure skiing could sway this. I'd start by selecting some top 3 / top 5 ski destinations in both NA and Europe and then see where I can get the best job/career, best quality of life (including friends), experiences, etc, etc. This way you won't miss on excellent skiing but you still introduce other elements in the equation.

Good luck, it's a nice problem to have.
    You really need to stop knowing WTF you're talking about. (Tippster)

Quote Originally Posted by revitup View Post
    A little less quantity but the quality is life altering.
    can you explain what you mean here? Kootenays are on the list for sure

Quote Originally Posted by revitup View Post
    Snow quality and snow quantity has probably been talked about pretty heavily on this site. All the different skiing experiences seem to be worth doing though.
    Variety is the spice of life. Enjoy!
    I've read through as many threads on here as I can handlelooking for pearls of wisdom and not found anything on this. Could you direct me to a thread or maybe give me a quick summary??

Grateful for all the help

I'm European living in the US, and I prefer the skiing here. In general, in popular ski areas, the terrain is less steep here, but the snow is much, much better. However, if you put in some effort you can find plenty of steep stuff here as well.

It sounds like you are young, so why not try it out in NA for 1-3 years and then move back to EU? If you never try you will always wonder what you missed.
    Dwell not upon thy weariness; thy strength shall be according to the measure of thy desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    lots of snow is nice but skiing is about terrain.
    This seems about the right response from a lone peak skier

Well I've been looking at the Kootenays a lot and, from the videos and photos of what I've seen, there seems to be more than enough steeps and varied terrain around. Perhaps I was unlucky but, during the seasons I did in Europe, snow was usually talked about a lot more than it fell meaning that a lot of potential runs were often never really available.

Maybe, having never skied in NA, I'm over-rating it, perhaps all that snow isn't really such a big deal? I just don't know which is why I'm looking for the advice

I like listening to English speaking non-americans... things like Uni, rubbish and keen are perfectly acceptable and correct, but you just don't hear them that much....

it's the little differences...

You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in Paris?
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

Does my post come with audio?!!

If you moved to Alta, I don't think you'd miss Europe one bit.....nor do I think you'd find it "flat". You'd love it.

To be fair, it's not cheap either!

If you're a European and don't have work permit in US you'll find it hard to relocate there. I just wanted to spend one season in US but my even my tourist visa application got refused.. so thats one consideration. Pretty much the same goes for Canada I guess.

You really don't know until you've tried though so if you've spent 3 seasons skiing in Europe then why not go to N-America next time. I'll be in US for couple months and in BC for couple more months next season and I do think I will be missing some aspects of Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurred
    If you moved to Alta, I don't think you'd miss Europe one bit.....nor do I think you'd find it "flat". You'd love it.
    Have you ever been skied or been in Europe and where? Just checking..

Quote Originally Posted by keksie View Post

Have you ever been skied or been in Europe and where? Just checking..
    Nope, I've never been skied.

Is this the part where you tell me how rad it is and how lame Alta is?

Quote Originally Posted by Blurred View Post
    Is this the part where you tell me how rad it is and how lame Alta is?
    yes

How is Kootenays compared to Rogers pass area?
    Dwell not upon thy weariness; thy strength shall be according to the measure of thy desire.

Jay Peak, VT averages about 350" of snowfall per season. Aftermath of WWII European charm and mild temps ta boot.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Chnaiur View Post
    How is Kootenays compared to Rogers pass area?
    The rogers is in the heart of the columbia mountains. The kootenays are the southern portion of the columbias. The southern rockies, most of the purcell, most of the southern selkirks and part of the southern monashees make up the kootenays. The rogers divides the southern and northern selkirks. That being said the kootenays is very big diverse area. In general there is more snow in the west than the east kootenays (rain shadow effect). The lizzard range of the east koots (fernie) is unique where it gets hit pretty hard from both maritime systems and continental systems. From south to north the mountains get larger and more glaciated. which more or less butts into the rogers. That area is a very unique part of the world. I don't think there is any other interior rainforest out there that far from any major body of water. I guess that is why the majority of the worlds heliskiing is there.
    Check it out on google earth. There are so many remote areas in the koots that it will take days to get into the depths of it.
    The rogers you don't need a sled, else where in the columbias you need a sled with a few exceptions.
    There is amazing terrain at the rogers and it goes and goes. I think up to 6000 + ft lines off the highway. Pretty good for car access.
    Oh ya, there are alot of people at the rogers but you will rarely see another set of tracks in the kootenay backcountry.

Quote Originally Posted by keksie View Post
    If you're a European and don't have work permit in US you'll find it hard to relocate there.
    You are doing it wrong, then... Just fly into Mexico, then sneak across the border in Texas. You should be just fine.
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

Quality or Quantity? Resort or Backcountry?

You should also ask yourself these questions....

Quality? Terrain or snow pack or both? You should probably be looking at Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, and Interior BC.

Quantity and BC? Year round skiing? Maybe the Pacific North West, near some Cascade volcano/glacier areas.

Just saying....

north shore mountains + 50ft or interior bc + 30ft

gee i don't know
    holy fucking shitballs

Quote Originally Posted by girafastyle View Post
    Quality or Quantity? Resort or Backcountry?

You should also ask yourself these questions....

Quality? Terrain or snow pack or both? You should probably be looking at Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, and Interior BC.

Quantity and BC? Year round skiing? Maybe the Pacific North West, near some Cascade volcano/glacier areas.

Just saying....
    I'm not looking at all year round, living in the Canary Islands is great for surf kitesurf and weather so would be just for the winter.

Quality and terrain is most important, interior BC for affordability is my NA choice.

Would be interested to hear some more Euro perspectives on this not having experience of both sides of the Atlantic myself