Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I'm going to throw some east coast love in here so that we can have some singletrack that is dictated by actual trees, not just by where the grass has been worn down.

No particular trail, but a few days bombing around Kingdom Trails is about the most fun one can have on a bike and therefore, IMHO it is a must do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

^what he said.

crab in my shoe mouth

Pocupine rim at sunrise

Maroon creek Aspen to CB. (possibly illegal today?)

where are the kingdom trails located?
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

Quote Originally Posted by stupendous man View Post
    where are the kingdom trails located?
    The Northeast Kingdom of VT.

Tahoe Meadows to Mr. Toads on the Tahoe Rim Trail has gotta be right up there. 60 miles of excellent singletrack with views all around:

There's also a 36 mile trail that goes between I-80 and Hwy 49 in Tahoe National Forest that doesn't suck:

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96240"]This One[/ame], which goes from Packer Saddle to the "A" Tree to Lavezolla Creek to Downieville ain't too bad either.

I 2nd the 70+ miles of the [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95045"]North Umpqua Trail[/ame].

The Oakridge, Oregon trail SYSTEM should be on the list, including Bunchgrass:

PFFFT.

Mountain biking is just a fad!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    I'm going to throw some east coast love in here so that we can have some singletrack that is dictated by actual trees, not just by where the grass has been worn down.

No particular trail, but a few days bombing around Kingdom Trails is about the most fun one can have on a bike and therefore, IMHO it is a must do.
    I'm going to agree, I'm not into name dropping trails or anything like that, but all you west coast wide open trail types need to come to the east and ride some twisty turny rocky rooty mossy slimy up and down goodness. I think that is a must do. The fall is a nice time for it.

I'll second:

Kingdom Trails
    Downieville
    Le Brésilien
    Just about any section of the Tahoe Rim Trail

In no particular order:

Kingdom trails, Flight of Icarus (Utah/Colorado border), Iron curtain or Fruita in general, Rose to Toads, Umpqua River Trial, Whistler, porcupine rim, Fight Trial (Halifax, Nova Scotia), Downieville.

Here is another euro todo...2384m vert from glacier to venosc (les deux alpes)

And another glacier descent...alpe d'huez

Last edited by Ripzalot; 09-05-2011 at 01:21 AM.

OTB to Deer creek with with light snow at the top and sun poking through light rain toward the bottom. Sweet!
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Just about any section of the Tahoe Rim Trail
    Word.

I think The Flume Trail to the TRT back to Spooner should be on the list.

The Flume isn't technical, but it may be the most spectacular trail I've ever biked or hiked in my entire life. The TRT heading back south to Spooner is pretty technical. Mostly on the uphills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

can't think of a specific ride on the sunshine coast that has the views and epicness, lots you can see georgia straight across to vancouver island, but the trails themselves are so well made and fun you can't help but start giggling like a little girl on some of them. Heard a tourist the other day say if tubes was the only trail he could ride for the rest of his life he'd be happy lol.

^^^^ Yes - if we were talking trail systems the xc loops in and around Roberts Creek would have to be in the category but they don't quite have the epic views. Maybe needs a trail off Elphinstone

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    Here is another euro todo...2384m vert from glacier to venosc

TR: Super Mega Epic Pilgrimage to Les Deux Alpes - Teton Gravity Research Forums

I can't believe how steep that trail is down to Venosc, but the trails aren't that good imo....the views are second to none, but the trails left a bit to be desired.....rode some non-bikepark trails in the area, and those were much better! rad area though and would love to go back and explore more, my time there was limited to 3 days and we were kinda tied down to what the group was doing...

White Mesa on a full moon night. The gypsum reflects the moonlight almost as well as snow. Riding through the shadowy canyons gives the feeling of being in another world; as is the moonlight reflecting off the soda springs. The risk of being caught by a shotgun wielding rancher adds to the experience.

--- and of course Mr. Toads.

good thread to bump.

for me the criteria would include length, vertical drop (ideally, not always), short- and long-range views. bottom line: would you tell a friend Yep you should drive 10 hours to hit this ride?

living in tahoe has spoiled me...i wouldn't put downieville on the list.

-kingsbury / star lake / scott lake / toad's.

-umpqua river trail.

-kernville has some truly outstanding trails (in addition to the cannell plunge trail, which gives you around 7,500 vert feet of descent, there are some other unnamed trails in the area that are insanely good).

-mt elwell in the lakes basin near downieville:

^^^Mt. Elwell makes the list for best place to take your bike on a hike. My list includes Rose to Toads on the TRT, all of the Colorado Trail (maybe hiking the Wilderness areas), Peaks Trail to Frisco/bikepath to Copper/up and over Wheeler Trail to Breck, Whole enchilada, copper canyon.
    I've heard of rides on ancient Inca trails, and I'd love to do some rides in some tropical areas but don't know of any particulars.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    I can't believe how steep that trail is down to Venosc, but the trails aren't that good imo....the views are second to none, but the trails left a bit to be desired.....rode some non-bikepark trails in the area, and those were much better! rad area though and would love to go back and explore more, my time there was limited to 3 days and we were kinda tied down to what the group was doing...
    it's the largest vertical descent in the alps, which is why i posted. not sure what your criteria is for being good but it is a series of connected downhill courses not a singletrack trail, if that's what you're after. but yes, better views are probably hard to come by.

For sheer fun factor alone

Raystown Lake, Pa

[QUOTE=Marius;2550691]Zermatt, Gornergrat - Riffellake
    The Matterhorn looks cool in the pic.

Is Interlaken on your list?

I liked parts of the Peruvian Andes. The trails may not be technical, but the altitude makes everything harder. The scenery is also great, especially seeing Machu Picchu from afar.

The trails in Denali could make it for me by scenery.

If the Monarch Crest is going to make the list, I'd have to suggest that the exit route be Greens Creek. You get the best alpine parts of the Crest and a much better downhill finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    If the Monarch Crest is going to make the list, I'd have to suggest that the exit route be Greens Creek. You get the best alpine parts of the Crest and a much better downhill finish.
    ...but it's way shorter than Starvation, Agate, or Silver Creek to Rainbow, so it wouldn't be my choice. Just my .02

I've only done Starvation and Silver Creek/Rainbow, and Starvation was WAY better.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy