Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How do you handle getting old?

I'm having a very tough time with this right now. I'm only 35, but my body has been breaking down for the last 10 years. I've had three knee surgeries and am looking at another one soon. The thing is, after an MRI, x-rays and numerous evaluations by a couple of orthopedists, no specific injury can be determined. I'm being told my cartilage is bad. Fair enough, but I've gone through their 'cartilage rehab injections', lifting light weights, resting, whatever....and nothing is helping. In fact, my knee keeps getting worse.

To be fair, I must also say that I've been a long-time gout sufferer. One of the worst maladies one can go through and not get any credit for pain. I've broken numerous bones, had plenty of injuries, etc... but nobody knows how bad a toe can hurt until they get gout. Lots of new studies on it - it's not necessarily diet and drink that causes it and it's not hereditary - it's bad luck.

Anyway, my current ortho claims my knee is messed up because of gout. I call bullshit on this. All attacks have been in my left knee (only twice) and my right knee has never experienced gouty pain (my surgery knee). I've torn my meniscus twice in my right knee, had surgery, tore my patella once and had surgery on that. Now, my MCL feels like it's torn along with my Meniscus, again - complete different feeling than a gout attack, but the docs won't listen. I've had fluid taken out of my knee and studied, fluid and blood injected to regenerate the growth of cartilage, blah blah blah...... Just sick of it and nothing has worked.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I may just be fooked for the next ski season and possibly beyond. I've got the gout under control for the time being, but I can barely walk because of my knee. Every time I go to the doc, I can actually see his eyes light up after I've been talking to him for five minutes and he finally remembers my case. It doesn't instill much confidence.

I know I'm done with the big drops, skiing bumps, etc... I just want to get out in the BC and take some pictures. I don't even know if I can do that now and it's depressing me.

Champ in high school and college to chump now. I think organized sports killed my body. Football, basketball, track, rugby, soccer.... Thank God I have a brain and it paid for college..... I just feel I'm wasting away sitting at a fucking desk, rehabbing at home each week so I can go back to my fucking desk. This weekend last year I was camping and skiing Hintertux. This year, well, I'm typing this and feeling like shit.

boo hoo, I know.

really ... sounds like you've lived a life and a half already. Heck you've still got sex goin' for ya, right?? All I've got is sympathy, and hope that you're at the peak of your pain cycle so you can look forward to some relief in the near future. Snide crankiness can help sometimes: "If I'm suffering, so is everyone around me!" I've also developed an appreciation for higher quality alcoholic beverages.

Cider. I need cider. I just got back from Ireland, made the best of it, but I need cider. And I can't find it in Germany! The humanity!!!! I only say this because cider is low in purines, very low, and doesn't affect gout. And it's damn tasty.

Fuck, I just got married, I love my wife to death, she loves me, I explained everything to her and she undertands. Thank you for that. I just feel wothless. I have stories, I have some footage, I have some pics, but it's not the same. I want to experience this stuff with her.

The subject of my thread - getting older and dealing - I think I've had a pretty quick fall to uselessness.

Truth? - I think I'm a bit jealous of some of the people on this site. I didn't start skiing until I was 19. Didn't surf until I was 22. I spent my youth in a small logging town in Oregon playing football and basketball and jumping in track and doing team shit when it never really fit me. My coaches and my dad wouldn't let me do the supposed 'extreme' sports back in high school (89-92) I was a really good athlete and a great student. But it's not what I wanted. Shit, the North Umpqua was my backyard and I had to sneak out to go ski or bike. I guess I'm just disappointed that I only got a few good years. It ain't coming back. I'm going to end up with a lot of money but being very bitter and telling little kids to get off my lawn.

Just bummed now as the snow is falling in the Alps.

Mind over matter, and a positive attitude. Enjoy what you CAN do, and do it lots.
    And take hemp oil! eat well, but not too much. and dont be bitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    what happened to Shadam this year? Usually by now he is posting drinking reports daily.

I'd never wish what I have on anyone. Maybe one hour.

hemp oil? Ummmm....... f'ing young hippies. Give me a nug.

deutsch, you probably, most likely, have a form of connective tissue disorder. welcome to the club, that many people have this going on, with loose joints and cartilage issues...not all people develop problems with it but some of us do. my body has been getting fucked up for about 5 years now following a major kayaking accident, but things have also been slowly improving. one thing i can recommend- DO NOT STRETCH!! don't always listen to the pt's...they don't know everything, they just follow a book or two unless they have been at it for years, and have seen it all, you dig?

you are in germany- that is good. they do have the best medicine in the world, hands down. trust me, i have been there twice for medicine. once for surgery and once for infectious disease issues.
    here is what i would do if i were you:

1) go see an expert classical homeopath. you can be helped immensely if not "cured" of your connective tissue disorder. the problem is, no smoking buds while on treatments, but that is ok cuz you will appreciate the fact that you are getting better, you will feel it. go drink some hopped up beers and ales instead till you are ready to puff again. i know cuz i am on the same road. are you in munich? let me know and i can get you the name(s) of the best homeopath in bayern from the real deal source.

2) get tested for lyme disease. don't bother with blood tests. there is a doc in pforzheim i can send you to. yes, it will cost a bit but he is IT for the planet. he will test you with his method. chances are it is not causing your problems but you never know, it's worth the 150 e or so to find out. he saved my life and many others.

i also know of a manual therapist of sorts, who is one of the best on the planet, hands down, in munich, who might be able to help with some things. you needn't tell him any of your symptoms. he'll put his hand on your head for 2 seconds and pretty much know your life history- no shit. if you wanna take that route.

pm me if you want info.

in the meantime, go grab an augustiner brau, prost!
    Last edited by mysteryzombie; 10-09-2009 at 08:46 PM.

liquor

drugs

young women
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

You're in the home of homeopathy.
    Stop relying on traditional medicine and try something else.
    I've seen homeopathy cure the incurable.

Uggg,

lived in Japan three years, lived in Germany for over 3....

Not saying I won't listen to new things, just want to hear something new. Been there, tried it. A lot of my frustration stems from trying 'new' stuff too.

I'll PM

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mysteryzombie View Post
    deutsch, you probably, most likely, have a form of connective tissue disorder. welcome to the club, that many people have this going on, with loose joints and cartilage issues...not all people develop problems with it but some of us do. my body has been getting fucked up for about 5 years now following a major kayaking accident, but things have also been slowly improving. one thing i can recommend- DO NOT STRETCH!! don't always listen to the pt's...they don't know everything, they just follow a book or two unless they have been at it for years, and have seen it all, you dig?

you are in germany- that is good. they do have the best medicine in the world, hands down. trust me, i have been there twice for medicine. once for surgery and once for infectious disease issues.
    here is what i would do if i were you:

1) go see an expert classical homeopath. you can be helped immensely if not "cured" of your connective tissue disorder. the problem is, no smoking buds while on treatments, but that is ok cuz you will appreciate the fact that you are getting better, you will feel it. go drink some hopped up beers and ales instead till you are ready to puff again. i know cuz i am on the same road. are you in munich? let me know and i can get you the name(s) of the best homeopath in bayern from the real deal source.

2) get tested for lyme disease. don't bother with blood tests. there is a doc in pforzheim i can send you to. yes, it will cost a bit but he is IT for the planet. he will test you with his method. chances are it is not causing your problems but you never know, it's worth the 150 e or so to find out. he saved my life and many others.

i also know of a manual therapist of sorts, who is one of the best on the planet, hands down, in munich, who might be able to help with some things. you needn't tell him any of your symptoms. he'll put his hand on your head for 2 seconds and pretty much know your life history- no shit. if you wanna take that route.

pm me if you want info.

in the meantime, go grab an augustiner brau, prost!
    The one thing I have not done is check out a homeopath here in Germany. Seriously, I'm on it now. I've got choices in Regensburg and Nurnberg and both are less than 30 minutes away.

I don't think it will help, but I will try. How do I explain this? I've got an MS and have turned down numerous offers to do a PhD. Not bragging, I just chose to move around the world on the gov dime I'm from Oregon, surf, ski, bike, hike, camp - I'm open and my mind is. I've tried so many 'alternative' medicines....I'm willing to try more. Things get dicouraging after a while. I'm there. I will check this out here in Germany, though. I'll give anyting a go at this point. Thank You!

PS - I LOVE Augistiner. Bad for my Gout, though My fave Helles in Germany! Dead Guy Ale - my Death Bed Beer. If that's not available, give me a Belgium Trapister

i will get you a name of a homeopath. my mentor/teacher is from berlin and trained in both greece and at hannemann in germany, she knows the right people.
    but take it seriously, it has worked wonders for millions.

and you should get checked for borreliosis, that is what you need to ask for in german, because with your outdoor pursuits, in the past you have prolly been bitten by at least one zecke. in pforzheim you should be tested, you can get there by autobahn in 3 hrs from munich.

augustiner is the best! i have a six pack of the helles and one of the optimator here. it's hard to find in the usa. that is because the usa kind of sucks in many ways (but that is my opinion).

go see a homeopath and hopefully it will ge tyou on your feet again and you can hit up the eisbach!

Please do. A name, that is. I'll write more later. No time right now...

lemme know in germany where you are and i will hook it up

Quote Originally Posted by DeutschBag View Post
    Truth? - I think I'm a bit jealous of some of the people on this site. I didn't start skiing until I was 19. Didn't surf until I was 22. I spent my youth in a small logging town in Oregon playing football and basketball and jumping in track and doing team shit when it never really fit me. My coaches and my dad wouldn't let me do the supposed 'extreme' sports back in high school (89-92) I was a really good athlete and a great student. But it's not what I wanted. Shit, the North Umpqua was my backyard and I had to sneak out to go ski or bike. I guess I'm just disappointed that I only got a few good years. It ain't coming back. I'm going to end up with a lot of money but being very bitter and telling little kids to get off my lawn.

Just bummed now as the snow is falling in the Alps.
    I went to Southern Oregon U.

I took up tennis at 19 and made all-conference college and USPTA class 1 certification. I started skliing at 30 and snowbaording at 40. Took up table tennis a month ago at age OLD. Perspective. After age forty the one piece of advice I will give is if you want to stay active you can't be in top shape. Fitness is a compromise. The fitter you are the more at risk you put your old body for injury. You have to know when enough is enough or you'll just wear yourself out; it's a very fine line. Find some things (and I mean things) you like. Cycling, hiking, swimming. Swimming, for me, is a cure-all. When I'm beat up and my hip, shoulder, knee, etc. all hurt I head for the pool.

This year I've had elbow surgery and cortisone shots in my shoulder. I haven't been able to swing a golf club for almost two years after playing 100 rounds a year for a decade. I moved on. If you habg your hat on one sport as you get old you'll be miserable. The tennis club is FULL of miserable old men clinging to a game they can no longer play.

My brother has had trhree knee surgeries and took up snowboarding at age 55and he loves it. He lives in Indiana and does 30 days a year..

Quote Originally Posted by mysteryzombie View Post
    - DO NOT STRETCH!! don't always listen to the pt's...they don't know everything, they just follow a book or two unless they have been at it for years, and have seen it all, you dig?

!
    Quoted for truth. IMO, unfortunately, PT is largely a sham. Each "procedure" is billed seperately each visit. Stem, Chrio, heat and you can bank that they will do every procedure they can on every visit. Dumbasses almost ruined my freshly surgical elbow and the guy runnning the place was "world famous". Fucking thieves..

in general I try to party more, take more risks, and get laid more often than ever.

that's kinda true, but seriously, welcome to the club. I have been fortunate not to have the chronic/over-use soft tissue injuries that you have, but I have definitely lost a step or two since college. staying active and in shape is more important to me now than it ever has been, because for me being sedentary is the kiss of death. my condition deteriorates exponentially now if I am sedentary. I think you really need to adapt your activities (or the fashion in which you do your existing activities) to be much lower impact. I actually do party quite a bit and still take significant risks, but I try to treat my body better overall; eat well and the risks are much more calculated (lower consequences). frankly I am amazed I haven't torn an ACL or any other ligament yet, but that could happen tomorrow. I think strengthening and in particular, stretching are key. bottom line is you gotta adapt, keep your head up and press on. a buddy of mine went through a serious bout of gout for several months and was basically debilitated. healthly active guy and couldn't use his fucking foot b/c he had gout. I didn't understand it either, but eventually it just completely dissapeared. now he is probably in better shape than I am and I had totally forgotten about it until I read this. looking back on it now, he was going through some personal/relationship stuff at the time and I personally think it was probably stress/lifestyle related.

Have you accepted the lord Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour?

good luck, going thru alot of the same shit.

I am goingthrouhg the same thing right now. 2 back surgeries in 10 years, 41 yrs old, ski raced up until 21, NCAA Div 1 and in Europe. MRI show degenerative disk disorder.
    My last surgery was Dec 08, skied 6 weeks after and was in AK 8 weeks out. Have been manic about doing excersises, and staying fit. This summer was doing 2 a days, swimming in the am or at lunch then riding after work or doing Cross Fit.
    6 weeks ago i sneezed, no joke, and boom, my back was done. I have been doing rehab and went back to basics but lost all my fitness. Just got onto a bike trainer yesterday. Having an MRI tomorrow.
    Anyway, i had a heart to heart with my pain doc on monday night (while watching my fish crush NY). I basically need to change how i approach things. I am super competitive and in Cross Fit, was always ramping up the weight to compete with the 20 years olds in there. I can not do that shit anymore. Skiing, i need to slow it down.
    Sounds like you need to lose that extra weight and get healthy, but who knows.
    I know i will onyl be skiing soft snow this year, no hard bumps.
    I know splat has some serious issues and his approach seems to work for him.
    Any way just some rampling, but my back was killing me in the last 5 weeks. It has just now started to feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    6 weeks ago i sneezed, no joke, and boom, my back was done. .
    Good comments. I'm guessing the back was already weakened and the sneeze was just a catalyst. Like people who hurt their back getting out of bed; it was already weak.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Good comments. I'm guessing the back was already weakened and the sneeze was just a catalyst. Like people who hurt their back getting out of bed; it was already weak.
    I agree, but i was really taking care of myself. So pissed.

...limping into this thread.....35 too, 10 years ago buldged 2 discs in lower back, now one has torn open, 2 left knee surgeries in the past 5 years, shoulder tear that is still not fixed, total left ankle recon 12 years ago and am typing this from a stand up desk at work. I sit to eat and rest twice a day for about 10 minutes otherwise I am just compressing my back and it kills.

It is pretty demoralizing when the body feels like this at what I feel is still a pretty young age. My body apparently disagrees.

(skied since age 5, soccer, volleyball, ski racing back east, climbing, golfing, backpacking, MTB, road racing,.....)

Too many broken bones to list......

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I went to Southern Oregon U.

I took up tennis at 19 and made all-conference college and USPTA class 1 certification. I started skliing at 30 and snowbaording at 40. Took up table tennis a month ago at age OLD. Perspective. After age forty the one piece of advice I will give is if you want to stay active you can't be in top shape. Fitness is a compromise. The fitter you are the more at risk you put your old body for injury. You have to know when enough is enough or you'll just wear yourself out; it's a very fine line. Find some things (and I mean things) you like. Cycling, hiking, swimming. Swimming, for me, is a cure-all. When I'm beat up and my hip, shoulder, knee, etc. all hurt I head for the pool.

This year I've had elbow surgery and cortisone shots in my shoulder. I haven't been able to swing a golf club for almost two years after playing 100 rounds a year for a decade. I moved on. If you habg your hat on one sport as you get old you'll be miserable. The tennis club is FULL of miserable old men clinging to a game they can no longer play.

My brother has had trhree knee surgeries and took up snowboarding at age 55and he loves it. He lives in Indiana and does 30 days a year..

There's an uncomfortable amount of truth in what you say: instead of forcing your body to stay young/in-shape (leading to catastrophic failure), the trick is to pace things to your (deteriorating) body's capacity. And diversifying with lower impact stuff is excellent - it certainly doesn't have the thrill, but thrills are for young bodies that can pay the inevitable price.

My friends told me that I'm getting too old to party with 3 girls til 5AM all the time...

So now I party with 5 girls til 3AM...
    Last edited by iscariot; 10-14-2009 at 02:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialist View Post
    They have socalized healthcare up in canada. The whole country is 100% full of pot smoking pro-athlete alcoholics.

Apparently I deal with growing old by spraining shit. Just sprained my foot Monday night, its the 4th sprain I have had in less than a year?? Maybe I just don't fall as well as I did before 40?

Nice to see i am in good company.