Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I iz Hiring College Kidz!

So, here's the deal. I launched a website, called papaBARTER.com. It is basically a college campus specific craigslist (though forum based just like TGR and completely free) where kids can post up anything from textbooks to tutoring services and avoid the ridiculous rip-off when you sell a used textbook back to the bookstore (usually you get around 10%, ie $15 for a $150 textbook used twice).

We started here at Dartmouth (I'm currently a senior) and the story got picked up by the AP and run on the USAToday and Boston Globe websites, and then ABC gave us some facetime on the evening news for NH. Sweet.

So we're going national. This week we're launching 10 new sites, and we're looking to get to 25 by the end of the year, if not more. But to launch at a new school, we need to hire a rep to publicize the site and get people psyched on using it - and in turn we send you a check for 25% of the ad revenues generated by your site (we do all the work making the site and customizing it to your school colors and whatnot) at the end of each month, plus $50 for every 500 people you get to register (and a few other bonuses here and there).

Basically it's free money for sending out a few emails and posting a few flyers. If you think this sounds good, there's an application on our site, and I'll be happy to answer any questions you've got.
    Hail Ullr

I applied. Sounds like a cool service that I can see myself making use of, and i could definitely use a few extra bucks in my pocket so if becoming a rep is all I have to do then FNKA
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Got your app and sent you an email! Also got UVM covered. Any more mag interest?
    Hail Ullr

applied.

I just want to say well done. I love reading stuff like this.

fkn Ivy Leaguers

You thinking US only? Good idea though.

Nice one, I hope it's a big success.

Just turned in an app. Great idea.
    Man, skiing is the easy part.

"He does this, he says, because he can. I think there is a little more to it that that, however. I think he does it because he can, and you cannot." - PacRimRider1 about Leo Brayman

Hey I graduated already but I live in Springfield, MA and there's a shitload of colleges in the area between here and Anherst, a short drive away. Do you want people who are actually going to classes in the schools? If enrollment isn't a big deal, I could cover about 10 colleges for you. Inundate the campuses with flyers, etc. It's easy to get the word out, I used to promote on campuses all the time. Let me know what you think.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

^^Same boat as DW, I could easily cover maybe four or five colleges for you. Some large ones.^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Thanks for all the support guys! So far we've got 4 mags signed up: UVM, Fitchburg, Georgetown, and MSU, and we're building their sites as I post this.

DHogg - we've gotta dream small before we can dream big - we'd love to go overseas but we've gotta get at least a strong establishment here in the states first. I'll be in touch as we grow...

DW and Dumpy - I'd love to get you guys set up at however many schools you want. We've got 8 new sites on our plate for this coming weekend and with the 10 we just launched and the legal bullshit of forming an LLC, I think I'm going to have to put off that project til later next week. I'll pm you guys then, and thanks for the offer!
    Hail Ullr

I just applied for U of M, if you're interested in starting one up here. Very cool idea.

Some people from my uni set up a similar site last year :

http://www.purplebooks.co.uk/

Thought you might like to see what the competition is doing.

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

just put in for my school, and I can definitely see this working out

Glademaster and hitmanbob - i'm building your sites right now.

edg - thanks for the link! luckily they haven't hit the us of a yet...

ALSO - we're expanding into Canada. UBC is covered, but we need more canuck reps!
    Hail Ullr

I just sent one in for georgia tech

All the sites are built and we're still getting rep applications!

Awesome TGR response - thanks mags!
    Hail Ullr

i want in before you go public, you Ivy League fuck

this is gold

sent in my app for CU

If you want, I can tell some people at other southern colleges (because really how many other people from the south are on here that are in college?)

Put in an application for UW(45,000+) student campus.

Sorry bout UW Tye - woulda loved to have you on board if a buddy of mine hadn't called UW yesterday just before you turned in your ap

skiATL that'd be sweet - the more schools the better!

mdblows - CU Boulder is up and running.
    Hail Ullr

Submitted an application for Sacramento State.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by gholman12 View Post

We started here at Dartmouth (I'm currently a senior) and the story got picked up by the AP and run on the USAToday and Boston Globe websites, and then ABC gave us some facetime on the evening news for NH.
    Could we get links to those articles? I'm gonna send in an email to the Colorado Daily and Boulder Camera to see if they're interested in doing a story.