Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
    I plan to try the rice method... give me some specific examples of socks/tubes used? Can I raid my wife's pantyhose drawer or would those melt?
    I use old thin wool socks, I would avoid anything synthetic.

So question: I just got a pair of used Garmont tele boots with Garmont liners that have been baked once. The liner fits good -- except there is slightly too much room around my toes. Not ridiculously swimming, but slightly more than I'd like if I was starting off fresh.

I paid $50 for these boots and don't want to spend the money to have them professionally fit.

I have very poor luck baking my own liners.

Since all of the liner fits well except for basically the area from my toes to about the balls of my feet, could I use the rice bag method but just with enough rice to fill that end of the boot -- like a fist-sized amount of rice, rather than the full tube sock length?

Always used a convection oven in the past. Just cooked a pair in a regular oven with good results. Don't be afraid, but be sure to use tin foil on the baking sheet to keep the outside of the liners from burning.

After all these years I finally tried the rice method. It worked great. Now my whole house smells like rice.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--