26er to 700c rim brake adapters

I am trying to make a cyclocross bike outta of old parts I have in my garage. I have an old schwinn frame that fits 700c 35c tires on it quite easily but the rim brake obviously dont work with the 700c tires...

So I found this

http://www.dreambike.com/69.htm

Brake mount adjusters move canti-mounts up one and a half inches to place pads directly onto the 29 inch wheel rim surface. If your hardtail has disc brake mounts, you won't need adjusters to swap to 9er wheels. Cantilever brakes are far more powerful on 29er rims (700c) than 26 inch wheels. If your brakes are classic cantis or linear pull, use them. If you have an option, go canti rather than disc. Rim brakes allow the option of a Mustache or drop bar, discs don't, unless you run mechanical discs which, frankly, offer the worst of both worlds (more weight, more maintenance, and no more power than rim brakes on a 9er).

26 to 29 Rim Brake Adjusters
    $75 a pair (front and rear)
    This price includes handling and shipping anywhere in the 48 states.

but 75 bucks seems quite steep considering I am trying to be as ghetto as possible.

anyone have any idea for a cheaper solution?

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    ...discs don't, unless you run mechanical discs which, frankly, offer the worst of both worlds (more weight, more maintenance, and no more power than rim brakes on a 9er).
    Finally getting a 29er? Why not just go with your 26" wheels at first?

Tangent: The above quote is absolute bullshit. BB7's are still some of the best XC brakes I've ever used. I'm on Elixir CR's now and still prefer the regular maintenance of my BB7s to bleeding my Elixir's even once.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Finally getting a 29er? Why not just go with your 26" wheels at first?

Tangent: The above quote is absolute bullshit. BB7's are still some of the best XC brakes I've ever used. I'm on Elixir CR's now and still prefer the regular maintenance of my BB7s to bleeding my Elixir's even once.
    I didnt say that FYI, I agree BB7s rock. I dont have the option of using Disc brakes on this frame though.....

as for the 700c wheel cyclocross tires are more readily available in that size but I guess narrower 26er tires could work as well.

Looking at the random collection of vbrakes in my parts bin some models do have quite a bit of vertical adjustment range on the pad mounting slot but nothing comes close to 1.5". More like half that. You could probably fudge a little more by playing with pad angles but not a great idea. I couldn't find any cantis laying around that even had that much range.

Just make it a fixie and do without brakes ??

btw, if you were planning on using vbrakes with drop bars you'll need road levers with longer pull. Tektro makes a functional model that's around $20 but it's one more thing to buy. I've put together a bunch of parts bin bikes and it's never as easy as you think.

If you want to build a cheap cross bike it might be better to start with a more suitable frame. Nashbar has an AL cross frame with canti posts and disk tabs that goes on sale for less than $150 at times. I just sold one last night that I used as a start for a parts bin bike. Rode it for a year and loved the concept. Scored a Redline frame off CL so I let it go.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...1_10000_201512
    Last edited by stevesmith7; 10-08-2009 at 09:02 AM.

Btw - I know you didn't write that, just commenting on that BS misconception about how much better hydros are to GOOD mechanicals.

I used to have some old avid canti's where the body was round, fairly long, and the brake pad part clamped onto it. Seemed like they could've had enough vertical adjustment. They were like these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Tri-Align-Cantil...item2a01a05687

but might've had longer posts

here is what I had (not the hot sexy purple though):
    http://www.bikepro.com/products/brak..._trialign.html

yeah all these options are mega pricey. I think just getting the nashbar frame might be the way to go..... also my road bike doesnt fit any who but at least the steal of the deal I got of a maggot gave me a good ultegra kit.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    yeah all these options are mega pricey. I think just getting the nashbar frame might be the way to go..... also my road bike doesnt fit any who but at least the steal of the deal I got of a maggot gave me a good ultegra kit.

I'm pretty sure I got it for $150 - 15%. You know Nashbar, always a sale, always a coupon. It's well worth the price. Not super light, not crazy heavy either. Super durable finish. Here's a shot of mine when I was building it up:

Quote Originally Posted by telestoner View Post
    I used to have some old avid canti's where the body was round, fairly long, and the brake pad part clamped onto it. Seemed like they could've had enough vertical adjustment. They were like these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Tri-Align-Cantil...item2a01a05687

but might've had longer posts

I have used Avid Canti's on a 26" mtn frame with 700c wheels. The pads hit at an angle, but it was close enough it did work.
    "Right after you finish pointing it and you get up about 30 miles an hour and your skis plane out on top and you start to accelerate and you know you can start turning in powder. Thats the moment." - R.I.P. Shane

mavic makes a thingy that will adapt to that I think?

search my name, this forum, and mavic?