Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I would go with a Bosch

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Bosch.

End of thread.
    FTW
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Bosch

they even work down under where the water rotates the other way

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Bosch.

End of thread.
    +1, we put in a Bosch after the Kitchenaide died. I use the Quick wash cycle with Electrasol detergent tablets and crystal, plates, etc all come out really clean. It doesn't have a drying cycle, so plastic needs to be dried by hand. Everything else gets hot enough in the wash cycle to pretty much dry off itself after sitting an hour after the was cycle is done.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by karpiel View Post
    I use a 1.5 gallon tub in my sink for a dishwasher loads worth and don't pre rinse.
    Yeah, but I presume you rinse the suds off the dishes after washing them. That's probably where the bulk of the water usage comes in.

Never understood the need for the heated dry on the DWs. By the time I get around to emptying the thing everything has drip dried anyway. Yeah, you might have a couple glasses or something that collect water, so you pour the water out and dry with a towel.

...eseehc fo modgnik eht ni ssertrof reeb A
    I put in a KitchenAid Architect II series DW a year and half or two ago, went with it mainly to match the rest of new appliances. Nice and quiet, cleans well... seems to take a LONG time to complete a cycle though? But I have had an issue with it's built-in disposal getting clogged and water spray pressure being reduced. (Though I did pull out some pieces of broken glass, and I might have put the chopper blade assembly back in somehow wrong when I reassembled it?) I thought the 3rd rack cutlery tray was the snizzle, but the famdamily refuses to use it so not as nifty as I first thought. For germaphobes, some like this one have the NSF rating used for commercial units, and I TOTALLY AGREE with Tipp - you NEED an internal stainless steel unit if you are spending very much change; As a dirt pimp, the first thing that looks trashy in a DW as it ages is yellowing/stained/rusting interior.
    pmiP triD remroF

-dna-

!!!timoV cimotA erutuF

-ottom-

"!!!emit a ta anigav eno dlroW eht gnirolpxE"

Quote Originally Posted by mocwvmit View Post
    and I TOTALLY AGREE with Tipp - you NEED an internal stainless steel unit if you are spending very much change; As a dirt pimp, the first thing that looks trashy in a DW as it ages is yellowing/stained/rusting interior.
    Who cares what the interior looks like if the thing still cleans your dishes? I guess I'm just not that picky. Actually my DW is (presumably, I didn't buy it) around ten years old and the interior still looks good to me. I don't see any rusting yet. A stainless steel interior seems like overkill to me.

Miele has nothing to do with BSH (Bosch Siemens Group). If you have the $ get a Miele, they are excellent. If you go with a BSH machine look for a Gaggenau or Siemens.
    Don't know why I'm writing this. You wanted a US machine didntcha?

Wow - you're right Miele is a family owned company completely separate from Bosch. I have to tell my wife she's been wrong on that for a while...

Gaggenau service in the US is a bit hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Don't know why I'm writing this. You wanted a US machine didntcha?
    I surrendered to the landslide vote in this thread and went Bosch. Had no idea they and Gaggenau and Siemens were the same company until now.

Tipp, in this area there's an excellent service company called Wuerstlein's that does Bosch and Gaggenau (and Miele and Asko and etc.), call me if you need the number for whatever reason.

SoooooooI recant my earlier Bosch recc.....A TR after a couple of weeks:

After 2 weeks with this....it looks sharp, but thats about it.

Cons -

Washing - meh....its ok, but not as good as I would have liked for a nice Euro model.....no better than any other non-fancy-smancy dishwasher I've owned.

Still had a few flakes on a plate this morning....

Capacity - probably the same size, but seems a lot smaller, poor layout....its only me, mrs pepperdawg and 2 munchkins 1.5 and 2.5 YO.

All the dinner dishes rarley fit if we have, say 2 meduim sized pots/pans.....not sure what a real family of 4 with 2 more non-todder dishes would do.....

As with most Euro-Dishwashers - no heat dry equals wet dished the next day.....we knew this going in, but.....its a PITA.

Pros -

Looks good. (Cell phone pic)

Quiet, motor is quiet, but still hear the H20 splashing around.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    What the hells wrong with that Joey Model.
    If I had 4 dogs and 2 kids I don't think I'd bother with a fancy high dollar dish washer.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I have a Kitchen Aid (it sucks), but the most important part of getting the dishes clean is the pre wash cycle. I have had very good luck with my Aussie Collie, she gets everything thing pre cycle clean.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    What the hells wrong with that Joey Model.
    If I had 4 dogs and 2 kids I don't think I'd bother with a fancy high dollar dish washer.
    well the dogs aren't much help and Joey's got a fair number of chores already plus between football and homework and fall lacrosse he's barely got time to turn around. But the bottom line is that the old one kept breaking. That and the fact that N. hated it, which is the real bottom line.

Maybe things have changed but I don't care what CR says Whirlpool sucks.
    In the less expensive than the high end euro stuff I've had good luck with Maytag dishwashers.

BOSCH FTW.

Quiet, efficient, expensive...

Super happy with ours. It washes anything we put in there. No rinsing.

Friends have an Asko that they are dissapointed with. Have to space plates out to get them clean, it clogs, the thing leaked after ony a couple years... Inlaws have a Miele, but overall they are not impressed with Miele quality or service.

I have never found a home model that works worth a damn. Maybe I've had nothing but cheap units, but my whole life I've wanted a commercial dishwasher in my house. We had one in college - the drop down, countertop style that heated the water to a million degrees and used chemicals that would strip paint and had a 90-second cycle. That thing was sweet.

Does anyone know how reasonable/smart it is to install a commercial undercounter 230volt Hobart in a home? I saw a deal recently on a 400volt model, but it seemed like a hassle to change the wiring.

Yes.... more chemicals....

Bumping an oldie here. How have the Boschs held up? Kitchenaids?
    LG and Samsung seem to offer popular mid-range options. Thoughts? A fair number of reviews complain about lousy drying, any experience?

according to consumer reports, the best dishwashers now are Kenmore Elite.
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.

We bought a Miele about a year after my last post. It's awesome.

Four years later I'd still get a Bosch.

Bosch +1.

also get a dwip pan
    http://www.dwipco.com/about.html

Bought a Bosch after this thread, no troubles with it ~4 years later. The only thing I don't like about it is there is a power on/off button that you have to manually turn off, otherwise it goes into power vampire mode and just sits there on. To me it should power down when the dry cycle is complete rather than have to notice that it's on later (sometimes days later) and power it down. Not a big deal but since I'm apparently the only person in the family who ever notices that it's on it's a minor irritant.

Our Bosch is about 8 years old and has been dying a slow death for the last 2 years. First thing to go were the electronics - it only runs the Normal cycle, which is fortunate. A few weeks ago the door on the soap container decided to stop opening. We could not justify the repair bill to fix the 2 problems so decided to replace it. Dishwasher info on the internet is all over the place but we finally narrowed it to a Kitchen Aid, Bosch (surprising that it made it to the last decision point) and Asko. We just could not pull the trigger on another Bosch so the decision was between Kitchen Aid and ASKO and we opted for the ASKO. Definitely giving up some capacity but we really like the simplicity and alleged longevity of the ASKO. It gets installed tomorrow morning so we'll see. My POV is that buying any of them is a crap shoot.