Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Consumer Reports Mags - Dishwashers?

Need a new dishwasher. Stainless, under-counter, preferably US-made. Fast cycle time is a plus, water economy is a very big plus (we're on a well), don't care that much about noise within reason. Got info?

Being concerned about water usage and buying a dishwasher made me laugh.

You are easily amused, good for you.

We live in the east, water is plentiful. My well does better than 20 gallons/minute. Still I'd prefer to try to keep it under control.

edit: and a quick google search shows that dishwashers average less water use than hand-washing by a factor of 3 or more. Of course it depends how you hand-wash.
    Last edited by iceman; 10-05-2009 at 09:05 PM.

Best thing ever

Asko.

Can put crystal wine glasses, pans and plates in it. Everything comes out clean, and a tiny amount of detergent, nothing damaged or still dirty. Plus is dead quiet(can talk next to it) and uses half the water of regular washers. More expensive up front, but when you have to bend down and listen to see if the washer is running, it's all worth it.

Plus, did I mention that you never have to wash a wine glass again. Even the lipstick washes off.....
    Last edited by Tor-tour; 10-05-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: edit for clarification

Bosch.

End of thread.

Bosch, huh? The unit that died was an Asko and we had a few problems with it, I'll check out Bosch, thanks.

I have experience with both Kitchen Aid and LG. Both brands were/are very good.

Oh, and BTW, my first job was as a dish washer so I know what the fuck I'm talking about.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

We just installed a Bosch and its great. Quiet...everything comes out clean...numerous washing modes with some that would use less water.

Just got the November CR and they list top products in a number of areas. Just in time for Christmas, I suppose. For DWs the top rated are the Kenmore 1374[2] $720, Bosch SHE33M0[2]UC $600, Kenmore 1389[2] $500, Whirlpool Gold GU2300XTV[Q] $550, and Whirlpool DU1055XTV[Q] $400.

They mention not to pay extra for a steam cycle or stainless interior.

edit: they actually did a full story in August. The absolute top-rated were two Bosch models, then Asko, then a couple Kenmores. I think they recommended the other models because they are very close in performance, but much cheaper. Anyway, that should give you an idea what the top brands are.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post

They mention not to pay extra for a steam cycle or stainless interior.
    A good rule to live by...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Thanks AD.

Quote Originally Posted by Tor-tour View Post
    Asko.

Can put crystal wine glasses, pans and plates in it. Everything comes out clean, and a tiny amount of detergent, nothing damaged or still dirty. Plus is dead quiet(can talk next to it) and uses half the water of regular washers. More expensive up front, but when you have to bend down and listen to see if the washer is running, it's all worth it.

Plus, did I mention that you never have to wash a wine glass again. Even the lipstick washes off.....
    I have an Asko and pretty much hate it. It cleans everything super-well and is really efficient and quiet, but it plugs up too often due to a stupid drain system. They might have changed it but caveat.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Bosch.

End of thread.
    I second Bosch. I put in both houses I've owned. I went with a lower end model (not the base model though) and it works good. The higer end one are more quiet, but I like the stainless steel inside and hidden heating element.

+1 Bosch - although no experience (yet)

Wife pulled trigger on this today...I'll put up a "TR" in a few days....

http://www.mannystv.com/catalog/bran...x6ap05uc.html#

Ice - my wife only places Bosch (or Miele - same thing really) dishwashers in the kitchens she designs unless the customer has an existing washer they want to re-use or buys their own. That has less to do with mark-up than with reliability and the subsequent pains in the ass conversations regarding who is responsible to replace it.

I've mentioned this somewhere else, but- if you get a Bosch, make sure it has some kind of indicator light on the front so you know when it's running. My in-laws' machine is so quiet that we always open it while it's running.

Quote Originally Posted by karpiel View Post
    Being concerned about water usage and buying a dishwasher made me laugh.
    I have lived with those enviro types who won't use the dishwasher , instead they want to waste a bunch of water washing everything by hand ,to which I say "I am gona run the mother fucking thing whether you put dishes in it or not , so the obvious way to save water ,energy and money is for us all to run the fucking thing when its full " ... driven by their hearts they will continue to wash by hand

if you really want to save energy don't use the heat drying cycle

rant over ... but don't get me started on recycling

are those european made DW's made to a standard size like those traditionaly for the N.A. market (30 " I think?)or do they have their own standard ?

so would a european model fit the cabinetry ,I instaled a N.A. made DW'er in my kitchen and it was as easy to prep the specific DW space in the cabinets as zapping out a dozen screws with a drill , in about 5 minutes I had a floor to counter space that exactly fit a N.A. made dishwasher

up here we roll with sears ,everything comes thru the sears catalog outlet and thats everything from snowblowers to bedsheets

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

We live in the east, water is plentiful. My well does better than 20 gallons/minute. Still I'd prefer to try to keep it under control.

edit: and a quick google search shows that dishwashers average less water use than hand-washing by a factor of 3 or more. Of course it depends how you hand-wash.
    True, most people seem to hand wash with the water running the whole time. I use a 1.5 gallon tub in my sink for a dishwasher loads worth and don't pre rinse.

Not because I care about the enviroment, just being cheap.

Bosch.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

Iceman does housework in jeans....and an apron
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

If you want to buy American, the higher end Kitchen Aids get good reviews and was recently recommended to me by the appliance distributor who supplied my kitchen re-model. The also sell Miele, Bosch and other euro stuff. The guys take was that miele is better than bosch, both quieter than kitchen aid, but the price difference is big.

It's very quiet and seems to do a good job. Had another kitchen aid for 10 + years and never had a problem w/ it.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Kitchenaide used to rock (like 15 years ago) The new one we have sucks, so go Bosch. Also, why pay for stainless? The others all wash off fine (unless you have a stainless kitchen, of course).
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    If you want to buy American, the higher end Kitchen Aids get good reviews and was recently recommended to me by the appliance distributor who supplied my kitchen re-model. The also sell Miele, Bosch and other euro stuff. The guys take was that miele is better than bosch, both quieter than kitchen aid, but the price difference is big.

It's very quiet and seems to do a good job. Had another kitchen aid for 10 + years and never had a problem w/ it.
    We have the top of the line Kitchen aid. In fact it's our second unit. The first one I purchased began falling apart within a year of purchase. Seals fell out, pump failed, it wasn't as quiet as advertised, didn't clean thoroughly. I replaced it with a new unit. I was giving them the benefit of thinking maybe we'd bought a lemon. We were given a very sweetheart purchase price for the new unit.

The new unit while not falling apart is still not great in my opinion. It isn't quiet as touted, and it doesn't clean thoroughly on a consistent basis. I wouldn't recommend Kitchen aid dishwashers.

Go Bosch or Miele.

We have a top of the line LG - it sucks.

Got it for free/deal or something a few years ago when we bought all new appliances - get the dishwasher free deal at Home Depot.

I wish I would have paid for another brand.

Half the time the soap dispenser doesn't open - so you have to do it again and hope that this time it works, it is a silent model, that 1 year into it developed a high pitched drives the dog wild squeel when we run it.

So, LG might make some good things (love the fridge and the washer/dryer) they don't make good dishwashers.

Miele is to Bosh what Audi is to VW -- but for some small whistles and bells, mainly stylistic, it's the same machine.

SSD: All current Bosh & Miele machines (AFAIK) have indicator lights now for that very reason.

You want stainless interiors because if you drop some silverware on your enameled tub washer it will chip and slowly start rusting.