computer geek mags help!

Well I've fucked up my 5 year old notebook. Had to replace the HD and had the drivers and XP working except my wifi, so I read somewhere flashing the bios would fix this.....you can see where this leads:

Bad bios flash.

Tried most everything I can think of: pulled the CMOS battery, tried usb forced boot, and a variation of ultimate CD boot. Only thing I left to do is a usb floppy boot, but don't have one on me at the moment. Anyone else have any other suggestions? I'm to the point where it probably isn't worth trying to replace the motherboard or send it back to gateway to reflash the bios.

So part 2 is trying to get a new computer...

briefly scanned newegg, pricewatch, and tigerdirect looking to spend $350 max and preferably less if I can find a decent desktop rig for $300. Only thing I really need is something that will allow me to day trade. I'm pretty handy with a computer (not enough, obviously) so I know all the inner workings of a computer....haven't built/put one together. Is it better to go barebones or just buy what all I need and put it together myself?

If the bios flash failed, you probably have to physically replace the bios chip. On a desktop, it is easy. You can usually order a new chip from the manufacturer. You pull the old chip out of the socket, replace it with a new one, and you are good to go. I have no idea if this is possible on a notebook, though, and finding the right bios for a 5 year old notebook might be hard. Maybe try to find someone selling the same notebook, functional or not, on craigslist or ebay?

Putting together a desktop is easy, and can be cheap if you are patient. Look for deals on individual parts (dealnews, newegg, pricewatch) - bare bones kits are not the way to go. If you need to buy an operating system, you probably won't save much money vs. just buying a low end machine from one of the major manufacturers, but you'll get exactly the machine you want. If you already have a copy of windows to install, or you are going to run linux you can save money by building yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by elesquiador View Post
    If the bios flash failed, you probably have to physically replace the bios chip. On a desktop, it is easy. You can usually order a new chip from the manufacturer. You pull the old chip out of the socket, replace it with a new one, and you are good to go. I have no idea if this is possible on a notebook, though, and finding the right bios for a 5 year old notebook might be hard. Maybe try to find someone selling the same notebook, functional or not, on craigslist or ebay?

Putting together a desktop is easy, and can be cheap if you are patient. Look for deals on individual parts (dealnews, newegg, pricewatch) - bare bones kits are not the way to go. If you need to buy an operating system, you probably won't save much money vs. just buying a low end machine from one of the major manufacturers, but you'll get exactly the machine you want. If you already have a copy of windows to install, or you are going to run linux you can save money by building yourself.
    Yeah I figure I've probably cooked the board. Looking over on ebay, most of the scrap notebooks have the same problem and working mobos are going for $150. Don't think it's worth pumping that much into something that already used up much of it's mileage.

Don't really need to buy an OS, but not sure how long I can wait to pick off deals off the internet. Barebones doesn't look too bad, I guess the only bad point is not having any warranty. But I don't really forsee needing it unless there's a defective part.

Might be able to find something at the Dell Outlet site, certified refurbs, some models include warrenties. Just a lot of lists to sort through and takes some understanding of what specs are what.

http://www.dell.com/outlet

Desktops and laptops (didn't dig through looking for prices.)

You do not state the brand and model, a few of them have a recovery option which usually is a boot to floppy disk only. Some take a key sequence to get into this. If not then your only option is a board or someone that can provide a replacement bios chip (some even require soldering them to remove and replace, unlike many desktop boards out there).

And for new machines- I'd also look at the Lenovo Outlet Store and see if anything fits.