intuition liners.never baked.worn 15 days.now packed out.would baking help now?

i really loved my intuitions. they were snug and held my foot perfectly,so i never baked them.

after about 15 days, they are a bit looser than i would like.

would baking them now help make them snug again?

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

yes

too short

Get 'em baked. They will fit tighter and should hold the fit longer before packing out.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

definitely heat them, and great threads on this.
    (upshot is shop blower is shit, get them good and EVENLY hot, pad toes more than you think)
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

I'd bet your boots are too big.

interesting answers

i asked the same question at porters tahoe,where i bought them, and the boot guy said "they had packed" and baking would not help that. he was probably too lazy to do it.

and jack, i doubt the boots are too big.they are a 27,a 9, i wear an 11 street shoe. the shell fit was 1/2 inch at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'd bet your boots are too big.
    I would like to get in on this bet also

intuition heatmolded liners don't take up TOO MUCH extra space , they fine tune a fit on the correct shell size

the garmont G-fits even more so , I couldnt stand wearing my endorhpins for 15 min in the shop before baking ...if you can waer a garmont boot without molding it's likely too big

I would try an extra insole inbetween the liner and the shell to take up some room

why not try it?

I agree that something in your boots fit is too big. It might not be length, but volume, or width, or ankle/heel size, or something. why did you get/need intuition liners in the first place?

where on the foot, or in what direction, do the liners feel "are a bit looser than i would like."? Other solutions might exist as well.

Email me at dave@fatskideals.com for boot fitting questions,
    read where I'm skiing at http://www.fatskideals.com/blog.html

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    ...Other solutions might exist as well.
    Like footbeds.
    山、川、森林、砂漠、海、空

thank you all for the input

the liners came with the boot,( which has a 98 last.)

The area in question is heel lift. They are still better than any boot that I had before in that area,and they are not really loose,but the were perfect when new.
    Actually they were a bit tight over the ankle laterally and medially,but not painful. And the control was something i had never experienced. It was very snug over the lower achilles tendon, and I loved that.

I actually have a similar issue in my kryptons. My shell fit is <9mm, and I get the same sensation, that my heel is lifting out even though the boots are good and tight. While I'm whining I'll mention that my arches also hurt a bit, but I think I'm trying to ski with my toes, not because of the boots.

I was planning on taking them to a better bootfitter this year and having the liners re-baked (and maybe narrowing up the ankle).

I can say that the liners fully re-expand for maybe 4-5 cookings. Use an oven, the liner should feel like dough. Definetly pad your toes more than you think you should.

the were perfect when new.
    As in: they were too big. What was your shell fit?

Bake them. Bring them to a bootfitter. A shim might help. Footbeds are generally a good idea. If getting footbeds, or a shim, bake with it in.

When you do not mold an Intuition liner it is more likely to "pack out" and not always in the best manner for your foot. When the foam is heated, the cells expand, and then hold that (your foot) shape as the foam cools. When the boot packs out due to wear and tear (read:ski time) it will not always be uniform to the shape of your foot. You can create "dead zones" in the foam from your foot moving around.

Hence, the reason you always bake before hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.
    Slaughter is the best medicine.

Without seeing them in person, I'm going to camp with the crowd saying your boots may be too big. I've not heard about Intuitions packing out that fast.

I'd put a thin piece of Bontex under the liner and on top of the zeppa before you mold them. This will take up some volume if it is needed- if it isn't, don't worry it won't hurt a thing.

Cut it exactly to the bottom of the liner making sure it won't can't your foot in a varus/valgus (suppinated/probated) angle. When placing Bontex in a boot, the biggest fault I see with inexperienced bootfitters is a poor trim job that creates an ever so slight angle that changes stance.

take them into Village Ski Loft and have Elko or Ben re-bake/re-fit for you.

If you actually read the OP's post, you would see they were never baked you idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    take them into Village Ski Loft and have Elko or Ben re-bake/re-fit for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.
    Slaughter is the best medicine.

also agree to the possibility of shell being too big.. rebake and try again, adding footbeds if you can..
    this happened to me with my first pair of intuition-lined boots.. though i baked them first, they still felt like 2year old house slippers (too comfy!) and i ended up buying a new pair two sizes smaller. when putting them on the first time without molding, they were excruciatingly small feeling. then we molded the liners and they felt like supportive slippers that fit perfectly and my foot didn't come up at the heel like it did in the too-big boots. (granted we ended up pushing out the plastic a tad to fit my "6th toe" wide feet, but that was minor and done three months later.)
    wayyy better. and it improved my skiing to have boots that fit. if you do end up needing to switch sizes, it may feel expensive, but boy will your skiing and your feet ever thank you!

let me try to focus the question a little better

The shell size length is not too big. It is 27. I wear an 11 street shoe. The shell fit is less than 1/2 inch. A 26.5 and both the toe and heel touch the shell.

The boot is not too wide.It is a 98 last.

The boots and liners fit great out of the box.(please read the next sentence..i know that sounds too big, but) They fit so well that i did not bake them. The liner was very tight at the ankle bones medially and laterally,but not painful. It still is fine there and everywhere else except the area on both sides of the achilles tendon and possibly the rear of the heel bone.

I went to Porters Tahoe where I bought them to ask about baking after they had been used about 15 days. They said they had already molded to my foot,and not to bother. (maybe they meant not to bother them,because it would have been free)

So,my question was , would baking them now improve the fit by shrinking them around the achilles/rear heel area to prevent any heel lift.

I think FDV answered,but maybe I did not ask the question correctly.

Baked intuitions take up significantly more volume than unbaked. It would be worth a try. I'm willing to bet that after baking, you are going to be kicking yourself for not doing it earlier.

Not sure if you messed them up by using them unbaked.

get them baked, like maybe 200 degrees, no you can't really break them in by skiing in them, the whole point of the things is to bake them, sounds like your shell fit is correct

make sure toe caps are used to push your foot back in the boot when molding, giving you that achilles contour you so desire, however, intuitions are shit for heelcups anyways, you often have to build it yourself. If you indeed have intuitions, and the place where you bought them didn't bake them... zomg!

home fit kit from intuition

intution now describes the backing process differently than i had remembered, using a sock filled with 4 pounds of rice and the microwave

BTW to make your toecaps buy a case of beer ,the kind that uses corregated cardboard

while you are drinking the beer cut the cardboard into strips that you tape across your toes with masking tape ,wrap with more masking tape ,put a thin sock over the whole thing and you are good to go move on to the heating step