Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The Comprehensive Car/Camper/RV Overnight Camping Locale Thread

I ran a search and came up with tons of little threads but nothing comprehensive. As the newish proud owner of this $300 Craigslist Gem, I'm looking to create a list of RV/Camper friendly resorts for a trip this winter.

Does your resort allow overnight parking in their parking lot? If not, anything close by?

"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

BC

Whistler--Yes but might become pay parking soon.

California:

Squaw Valley--No

Kirkweed--did allow as long as you stayed away from the edges of the lot.

Colorado

Aspen--You might be able to get away with it at the Intercept commuter lot outside Aspen(just across from entrance to snowmass village), the buses into town pick-up right there. I don't think it is really legit but I know lots of people that have left cars there for days on end. There are also some random spots in town you can get away with if you are sly about it.

Loveland Pass--base of the North side

Mary Jane--Yes

Keystone--Yes

Loveland--Yes

Copper--Corn lot when they're not trying to plow, usually works if you're DL

Breck--W. up Blue Lakes Rd., just over the pass.

Telluride--get pounced on by a cougar at the Buck.

Vail/Beaver Creek--generally a PIA, but you can try your luck up past Minturn or do Safeway if your windows are sufficiently tinted

Idaho

Pebble Creek--Lower parking lot.

Sun Valley--I believe it's okay on the parameter of the upper RR parking lot.

Schweitzer -- yes, small fee

Montana

Bridger--Yes

Lost Trail--Yes

Big Sky--Yes

Snow Bowl--The second parking lot ("L2") at Snowbowl (it's wide spot in the road just before the entrance).

New Mexico

Taos--yes

New York

Plattekill--Yes

Oregon

Ski Bowl (Oregon Mt Hood) - yes. Across the bridge at the Multorpor chair lift, there are travel trailers parked

Mt Bachelor.....legit

Utah

Snowbasin--one of the upper lots

Vermont

Magic Mountain -- yes, free. As long as you move for the plows. If not, it could get expensive

Sugarbush-- see a few rv's in the lower lot every year for a week or so. Someone just spent 4-5 days camping during the last week.

Washington

Alpental--lot 3 at alpental is where it goes down if you're car camping

Baker -- Yes, upper upper lot, or the lower lot if you're tucked in the back. MORE: you can camp at that snowpark before the big uphill on the way to baker, and there are a few good spots by glacier too, lotsa people hitch.

Stevens -- Yes, and they even have hookups.

Crystal -- Yes, designated lots...

Snoqualmie Pass -- lots of random places.

Bluewood -- yes, free

Wyoming

JHMR--Yes
    Last edited by The Reverend Floater; 11-04-2009 at 07:31 PM.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Baker -- Yes, upper upper lot, or the lower lot if you're tucked in the back.

OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy View Post
    Baker -- Yes, upper upper lot, or the lower lot if you're tucked in the back.

nearly every base area the pass has one, but lot 3 at alpental is where it goes down if you're car camping

whistler/blackcomb - I believe they have an rv/camper lot in the parking lot by whistler village base, but it is soon to be paved and(maybe???hope not) will be pay parking

Big Sky has a parking lot that you can crash at. (at least it did last time I was there.)

Bridger
    Jackson (I parked in the WAYYYYY back and didnt get bugged until day 6)
    Lost Trail

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    The second parking lot ("L2") at Snowbowl (it's wide spot in the road just before the entrance). Unless they need to plow it, they never bother RVs that park there.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Crystal - yup I have friends that "sleep" up there.

Stevens - I thought you had to pay there? Or maybe that's just for RVs and hookups.

Ski Bowl (Oregon Mt Hood) - yes. Across the bridge at the Multorpor chair lift, there are travel trailers parked (mostly employees but it's cool). This also grants access to Timberline and the other overrated resort.

In my van. Not down by the river, but in the ski area parking lot.
    God, I can't wait to hit the road this wintahhhhh. See all you fools out there! Always welcome for a post-skiing beer at my new(used) RV! Cheers!
    Tats

"What do you call a ski bum who loses his girlfriend?"
    "Homeless."

backcountry.com
    christatsuno.com Give me a virtual high-five and click on my blog!

top lot of berthoud pass in Colorado- i dont think anyone will bother you if your there but dont quote me on that

Add:

Idaho:
    Schweitzer -- yes, small fee

Washington:

Bluewood -- yes, free

Note re Snoq. Pass: Alpy Lot 3 often fills up on weekends, becomes Appalachian slum; Camper parking also at Central, in the lot under the patrol shed, i.e., near Central Express

Lovin' this thread, as I'm gearing up the Winnie for the winter... Been putting in a bunch of work to the interior, she's looking good... Now WILL SOME EC MAGS CHIME IN PLEASE!?!?? I'd have to sell my other car just to pay for gas to get 'er to the other resorts on the list.

Vermont:

Magic Mountain -- yes, free. As long as you move for the plows. If not, it could get expensive.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

I don't think you can park at Bridger because they plow the lots in the early morning. Big Sky allows it in the free lot near the tennis courts, year-round. Lost Trail allows it but ask at the maintenance shed if you can, they'll work with you and let you know about plowing schedules.

I always thought that camping on top of the south-side paragliding launch at Point Of The Mountain would be a great place here in SLC. There's a shitter up there and no one will bother you, and it's free. I've seen paragliders camped there, so why not ski bums? (Remember it's SOUTH side, not North side launch..although it may be an option too.)

Oregon: Willamette Pass: Free parking in designated areas. Electric hookup available for $

I've parked overnight at the base of the North side of Loveland Pass a time or two. The parking lot everyone thumbs rides from when riding the pass. No danger of slides, and I was never bothered.

Appreciate this thread...

...but are we talking about legitimate, no issues places or more gray area/poachable spots?

I'm happy to share some of the latter that have worked for me around CO and which I don't think are any big secret, but I'm not sure that's good etiquette, especially since I'm a lurker/low count poster. If that seems acceptable, I'll throw in a few options...

lets hear 'em daft!

Colorado
    Mary Jane
    Keystone
    Loveland but security will check that you are indeed a skier

flame away...

Copper, especially Corn lot when they're not trying to plow, usually works if you're DL.

Loveland Pass/Abasin/Breck/Keystone: Peru Creek lot @ Montezuma Rd. Works for a night or two as long as you're not too settled in.

Breck/Lincoln Group: W. up Blue Lakes Rd., just over the pass.

Glenwood area (nice if heading west from Aspen): S. Canyon Creek road (first exit W after town), ~1-2 miles to the hot springs on right.

Telluride: get pounced on by a cougar at the Buck.

Vail/Beaver Creek is generally a PIA, but you can try your luck up past Minturn or do Safeway if your windows are sufficiently tinted (YRMV).

Just about anywhere for BC...

exit 218 on I 70 WB is a trailhead. pit toilets and such. but the plows have been known to close the on ramp to 70 from there. bring a shovel.
    Top of the Food Chain for White Trash America

squaw......i think not

at least there are big nasty "we will bust your ass" no parking signs by the dozen

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

baker detail*
    you can camp at that snowpark before the big uphill on the way to baker, and there are a few good spots by glacier too, lotsa people hitch
    Last edited by dannyboy; 10-05-2009 at 04:59 PM.
    |-------------------|----3333-------------|------------------|--------------------|3333
    |-------------------|-------------0---0-|--------1111--------|--------------------
    |-------------------|-----------0--2---|-0--------------------020----0--------
    |----------------0-|-------------------|-----2--2222-0h2-----02------20--
    |-2----2---3------|----2222--------------|--3333--------|------------------|2222
    |-------------------|----3333-------------|---------------------------------------|3333-

You Betcha at Mt Bachelor.....legit

plus in the spring huge mudpuddles for skimmin w the RV or whatever
    If you can't see the forest for the trees........................you are in some thick shit!

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    baker detail*
    you can camp at that snowpark before the big uphill on the way to baker,
    Yeah, but why? You can park your rig in the Chando lot -- that's where everybody in Glacier hitches from. Or you can just sleep in your rig outside the bar, and hitch there too. Or you can park at the mountain and ski to the lift.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Vermont :Sugarbush, see a few rv's in the lower lot every year for a week or so. Someone just spent 4-5 days camping during the last week.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime