Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    B.C.

Red Mountain: Yes, OK, but an overnight fee (maybe $10 bucks, not sure) and there is a limited number of plug ins.

Washington

49 Degrees North: yes, $15/night with power limited number of power pedestals available.

So far it's only a rumor I read at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boondocking but "New legislation could open ski resorts on Forest Service land to summer recreation..." which may open more ski area parking lots to campers in both summer & winter.

Not much here about Utah. We will be there in a few weeks and are looking for places to sleep in our van. Any beta would be appreciated. It was mentioned somewhere in here that Snowbasin had an overnight lot...anywhere else??
    Last edited by POWHNTR; 03-09-2011 at 08:25 PM.

I stayed at the 24 hour Walmart in Sandy Utah, about 15 min. from Snowbird. The nearby Starbucks has free wifi and I picked it up parked in my truck camper. Tire shop on the way to LCC sells propane. The Sandy Costco sells 2 day non-tram lift tickets to Snowbird for $105, but they were not on display so you need to ask the cashier or manager.

Thanks DanoT! Great info. It sucks the Utah resorts aren't more kind to the rv crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    So far it's only a rumor I read at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boondocking but "New legislation could open ski resorts on Forest Service land to summer recreation..." which may open more ski area parking lots to campers in both summer & winter.
    Hey sorry to revive an older thread but I'm interested if anyone has any follow-up on this? What does it mean for those of us who seek to live in the parking lots? I also saw reference to this somewhere else, but I'm sorry that I can't remember where it was. . Maybe it just means all the resorts will start doing what Kwood does... charging $$ to sleep in the parking lot. Could be worse, but...

Many municipalities where ski areas are located prohibit camping within town limits (even Walmarts). The proposed legislation would have no effect on that, in fact, it doesn't even remotely have anything to do with it.

Not sure what you're getting at. I think the proposed legislation concerns federal forest land and public access to it. I'm not sure that municipalities would even factor into the conversation, at least if the resort is actually situated in a national forest. It'd probably be better if someone could dig up a link to some real information about this so we're not just making random guesses.

From my read of the legislation, the purpose is to Allow ski areas to expand their permit from winter only use.
    Add the Zip Lines and Bike Parks. So yes, they would open their RV lots in the Summer then.
    Current Status, per govtrack, is Out of Committee, awaiting further action. Along with hundreds of other Bills.
    But since the Republicans will be declaring Federal Bankruptcy this week, does it matter?

"Last Action:
    Jul 14, 2011: Committee on Energy and Natural Resources. Ordered to be reported without amendment favorably.
    Status: This bill was considered in committee which has recommended it be considered by the Senate as a whole. Explanation: Although it has been placed on a calendar of business, the order in which legislation is considered and voted on is determined by the majority party leadership. Keep in mind that sometimes the text of one bill is incorporated into another bill, and in those cases the original bill, as it would appear here, would seem to be abandoned. [Last Updated: Jul 15, 2011 6:20AM]"

Hi guys,

A group of us are planning on living in an RV within Revelstoke over winter. Does anyone know of areas where we can park up for free?

From what I understand there are by-laws against it but how heavily is it enforced? Also we don't want to annoy locals by parking where we shouldn't.

Any help or advice would be great.

Mammoth has tons of camping out of town on the 395, but they seem to get on people about camping in town. There is a campground in town with hookups through the winter, but it likely costs $30 or so I'd guess. I've only tent camped.

Jay Peak is pretty easy to car camp around, but I don't know if an RV would raise suspicions. I've slept in a car around Montgomery Center a few times at least.

Pulled into the KWood to see about this exact issue and got only a printout from the website:

Kirkwood welcomes self contained RV guests during the winter and summer months. Overnight parking is available in the Middle 7 Parking Lot at Timber Creek (see valley map), space permitting. Please note that RV's and over-sized camper trucks are only permitted in the Middle 7 Lot due to size restrictions in other parking areas at the resort. RV's and over-sized camper trucks seen parking in other resort lots will be asked to relocate. You must be self contained as there are no hook ups available, Kirkwood does not provide power, water or septic.

Kirkwood Rules in the RV parking area will be strictly enforced:

Self Contained RV’s Only (no tent camping)
    No Campfires
    No Dumping
    Gas-Only Grilling
    Must Display Paid Registration
    No Off-Road Vehicles or ATV’s allowed
    Pets Must be Leashed
    Recreation Vehicles "RV’s" are classed by chassis type and body and defined as follows: Class "A" and Class "C" RVs, and 5th wheels or trailers of any kind (towed behind another vehicle or hitch in back of the truck). Fees & Restricted Dates

$25 per night
    4 Night Maximum Stay
    Winter Restrictions
    o Sunday thru Thursday Only
    o Non-Holiday
    o Special Non-Restricted Weekends will be Posted (check weekly)
    Fifty percent of all parking fees and RV pass sales will be donated to the National Forest Foundation to be used for local conservation projects in the Eldorado National Forest. Kirkwood is a proud sponsor of the National Forest Foundation helping to create a positive impact on the local recreational experience for many years.
    Seems pretty clear. Then this follows:

Winter Restrictions

During the winter season, overnight parking is limited to Sunday through Friday, non-holiday, as well as select weekends - space permitting. Non-restricted weekends will be posted weekly. An RV season pass also is available during the winter for just $199. Restrictions apply. Please contact the Season Pass office at 209.258.7277 for further information.

For questions about Kirkwood RV Parking please contact the Lodging office at 209.258.7293.
    I need this translated into English. It appears one can buy a season pass for RV parking, but stay no more than 4 days at a stretch. Is that the idea? Also: I have a Class B RV, so - does that mean none of this applies?
    Befuddled in Tahoe

Pulled into the KWood to see about this exact issue and got only a printout from the website:

Seems pretty clear. Then this follows:

I need this translated into English. It appears one can buy a season pass for RV parking, but stay no more than 4 days at a stretch. Is that the idea? Also: I have a Class B RV, so - does that mean none of this applies?
    Befuddled in Tahoe
    Actually its very clear,but the enforcement is NOT.
    If you have a class B,go into the office and get in writing that the weekend restrictions do not apply to you while you still have the leverage of cash in hand before you pay for the season pass/parking pass
    picador

I have a Class B RV, so - does that mean none of this applies?
    Is a Chinook really class B? I thought class B was basically a van conversion? Are you making that call based on having no over-driver bed? Or is there some set of specs somewhere that lay out the rules for which is which?

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonnz View Post
    Hi guys,

A group of us are planning on living in an RV within Revelstoke over winter. Does anyone know of areas where we can park up for free?

From what I understand there are by-laws against it but how heavily is it enforced? Also we don't want to annoy locals by parking where we shouldn't.

Any help or advice would be great.
    Revelstoke (RMR) allows overnight RV parking with no hook ups at the back of the main parking lot but I doubt they would allow a winter long stay. I think there is a campground near Revelstoke that stays open for the winter and might have a monthly rate. Most RVs are not set up with plumbing that functions in a Canadian winter so your biggest problem might not be finding a place to park, it might be finding a place to shower.

Michigan
    Mt Bohemia
    Unfortunately we do not permit overnight Rv/camping. There are regulations and laws permitting us from allowing customers to do such, sorry for the inconvenience; although there are great options for that in the area, feel free to call us if you need any recommendations.

CO
    Wolf Creek
    Yes, Wolf Creek allows overnight parking for RV's. You'll need to talk to a parking attendant and let them know you are planning on parking overnight. The parking attendant will instruct you on where to park and give you any further instructions.

Wolf Creek Ski Area

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Revelstoke (RMR) allows overnight RV parking with no hook ups at the back of the main parking lot but I doubt they would allow a winter long stay. I think there is a campground near Revelstoke that stays open for the winter and might have a monthly rate. Most RVs are not set up with plumbing that functions in a Canadian winter so your biggest problem might not be finding a place to park, it might be finding a place to shower.
    From the RMR website:

RV Parks and CampingThe City of Revelstoke has notified Resort staff that in accordance to the City's Zoning Bylaw Number 1264, camping is not permitted at the Resort.

Revelstoke Mountain Resort would like to thank you for your patronage and we will be requesting an amendment to the bylaw to allow for future camping opportunities for Resort guests.

There are a number of campgrounds in and around Revelstoke that welcome winter campers.

•Smokey Bear Campground (West on HWY 1)
    •Canada West Campground (West on HWY 1)
    •KOA Campground, Revelstoke (East on HWY 1)
    The KOA Campground also has a sanitary dumping station that is pay per use.

Quote Originally Posted by JD May View Post
    From the RMR website:
    Never the less I stayed two nights in my truck camper in the parking lot at RMR this past winter (and one night this summer) and there were other RVs and a sign telling RVs where to park.

Question for those that know some stuff about campers and trucks. Thinking of buying a Dodge Dakota, either a quad cab (prefered) or a crew cab. And then a camper, smallest one I can find. But the more I think about it the more I think that a Dakota can't haul a camper, even with an airbag system on the truck. what do you guys think? Maybe I'll just need to step up to a bigger truck..

Quote Originally Posted by udp88 View Post
    Is a Chinook really class B? I thought class B was basically a van conversion? Are you making that call based on having no over-driver bed? Or is there some set of specs somewhere that lay out the rules for which is which?
    I've heard it referred as a B+, for whatever that is worth. It is a 21' van chassis conversion.

Big White BC we parked in the overflow and no problemos.

Quote Originally Posted by RIPITUP84 View Post
    Question for those that know some stuff about campers and trucks. Thinking of buying a Dodge Dakota, either a quad cab (prefered) or a crew cab. And then a camper, smallest one I can find. But the more I think about it the more I think that a Dakota can't haul a camper, even with an airbag system on the truck. what do you guys think? Maybe I'll just need to step up to a bigger truck..
    I don't know the weight capacity of a Dakota but lots of guys with Tacomas go with aluminum framed pop-up truck campers. Google Wander the West.