Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    CA
    Heavenly/South Tahoe: no parking in lots, but a few miles south is an empty paved lot just off the highway with nothing posted against camping, and a USFS ranger mentioned no-one is entirely sure who even owns that land: google maps

CA
    Squaw Valley: yes. just confirmed with security. at the back of the "tennis court" parking lot, which is by employee housing, just past the fire station (if I understand correctly).

Moonlight by Big Sky offers overnighting in the lower Pony lot which has a chair to & fro the hill. Maybe can ski to the lot normally.

Trying to collect some info on Teton Village for this upcoming winter, as I hope to be spending some time there. Reading through the thread, doesn't look like there are manny, if any options available. My usual method is to sleep in hotel parking lots, but after a bit of research most of the resorts seem to have valet. Anyone have any ideas about stealth Teton Village urban camping?

Regarding a car camp in the Squaw area:

I had luck with a spot Monday night (03.25.13). The Alpine Meadows Transportation Center lot. 303 Alpine Meadows Rd.

Tucked myself along the left side of the lot against a long stand of trees between it and the road. There were two other cars there, also skiers.

Didn't get any notice until I got out of my car around 6 AM and riled a dog who was hanging with the arriving workers at the end of the lot. The workers swung through in a van, checked myself and the other cars out and returned to the AM garage area without a peep. Didn't even roll down their window.

The lot abuts what looks like a row of rental cabins so it's definitely a spot to just pull in and bag-up. No hanging around outside the car at night.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	am_sign.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	283.4 KB 
ID:	135483  
    JONGy Bastard

What about steamboat? Would the wallyworld work?

Bump for a new season.

Possibly the first big storm of the year tonight at Wolf Creek and I have the next week off.

What's the latest in regards to camping in their lot? Car camping on the pass? I am probably headed down solo tomorrow so I need to dirtbag it.

Any other updates to any other resort policies?

WolfCreek told me they'd welcome the RV right in their parking lot. I asked about up to a week. I think they said I could stay a week. Just ask them. Have fun. #jealous

The info Wolf Creek sent me.

"We do allow overnight camping provided that you stay with your vehicle all night so that you can move if we need you to for snow removal. And obviously, please follow Leave No Trace principles.

If you arrive in the middle of the night, there will only be one lot that isn't gated, so park in a spot that is out of the way. If you arrive during business hours, please speak to a parking attendant and they will tell you where to park. If you can't find one, stop by the ticket office."

I did a couple of weeks at the end of the Alberta lot. It was early season and they pointed me in that direction. Very sweet. Hike over the berm and it was basically ski in ski out set up. Noice. Don't forget Kips in pagosa springs. Great food and live bluegrass some nights. Always a hangout for good local skiers.

Shames:

Free for as long as you like, but no hook ups for anything. Park in the main parking if it's not a busy day, if it's a busy time (6 days/year) perhaps the lower lot would be better for you.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Shames would be fun!!!!

Wolf Creek was very hospitable a couple of weekends ago, but if you go, please know that they may be operating a front loader next to your camper all night long. Fucking brutal. The snow made up for it though.

Any beta on where to park at Steamboat?

Overnight camping is not allowed in Steamboat and inforced vigorously in all the ski area lots and at Walmart. You can camp at the transit lot (west side of town) where the sign says," No Camping." "72 hour parking max."
    Don't ask.... Don't tele

Thanks Maddog. We paid to camp in the RV campground at the northernmost side of town. Not too expensive, on the bus line, and kept me from meeting the nice Steamboat officer in the middle of the night again.

Quote Originally Posted by frEEk View Post
    Park City (the city) in general is pretty tough. All the public lots at parks etc say no overnight. Info lady at Deer Valley said it is a city ordinance (they always talk like they would LOVE to let you stay in their lots but its out of their hands... really wish they wouldn't insult my intelligence like that). The Walmart jut north of Park City doesn't allow overnight in winter either. Best bet is clearly the Canyon's Silverado lot, though don't know if they would take kindly to more than a couple nights. I ended up finding dead ends at stalled real estate developments for a couple nights. There is on fairly reasonable RV park on the I-80 but they have restrictions on what units can be there, and even then they can't get their info straight as to what is and isn't. The few spots that don't have restrictions (hidden away from public eye in the valley) are full.
    If you blend in you can park anywhere in PC. I perfer the covered parking garages in the winter, to block the wind...

In the summer its million dollar views at the top of the crest or looking out over the jordanelle! 6 months in the truck & wearing a suit to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Thanks Maddog. We paid to camp in the RV campground at the northernmost side of town. Not too expensive, on the bus line, and kept me from meeting the nice Steamboat officer in the middle of the night again.
    We did this campground a couple weeks ago. $20 with electric hookup and a nice warm shitter. The bus is a little noisy until late at night but not horrible.

Another option though not in town is Steamboat Lake State Park. The marina parking lot is plowed and has 20 electric hookups. $20 also. If a ranger shows up and actually cares to check your registration.

Way quiet but a little drive to town.

So apparently Crested Butte now has an RV campground just south of town, but they're 'technically closed' in winter. They plow out a few spaces for people passing through, and power is available in each site, which I don't need. They shut down the bathroom/shower facilities during winter, but still charge $40/night for a plowed out spot. That seems pretty steep, considering I paid half that price for Steamboat, and had bathrooms and showers. Amenities aren't a must-have, but is it unreasonable for me to think that $40 is steep for a parking spot? It offends my inner dirtbag.

I'm sure it's less than a ticket for camping in the wrong spot, but with that price, I'm still looking for a spot around town to park a truck camper. Anyone know if there's overnight camping at Kebler trailhead?

Parked overnight at Red Mtn BC in their designated camping lot. $CAD10 on the sign, but nobody came to collect. Sign sez you need a toilet in your vehicle, but I figured the pee bottle was enough especially since the bathrooms were only 100m away. Walking distance to the lifts, less than 2'.

Tri, you're doing it right.

Hey guys,

If anyone of you are pretty stoked on your mobile rig and have good photos of it and some good stories to share, think about submitting to our new column, "Base Camp," which will be profiling a series of mountain-based RVs, cabins, igloos, snow caves, inns, hostels, and other homes... http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...23#post4194823
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Any parking lot camping allowed at Crested Butte? Free camping?

Hey how about a list of places in Europe that allow car camping. I'm in need of some knowledge!!

Hugh Conway Guest
    How about you make with some tits?

it's not rocket science - if you are quiet, don't make it obvious, not an asshole, and aren't drunk (so no problem if someone asks you to leave), you can do it most anywhere. show up after dark to a place you scoped earlier and leave by dawn. cheap euro rental cars are generally tiny, upgrade to something larger if you actually want to sleep.

keystone, CO

where at in Keystone, CO can you park/camp overnight in the Winter with an RV? thanks