Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    BC
    Whitewater: Overnight RV parking allowed in Nordic lot

Sugar bowl on Donner summit has a small dirt lot just outside of the gondola garage that they will let you overnight in. All you have to do is leave your name and cell number in case of an emergency. The only downside is that it is right next to their dumpsters so there is a lot of noise from the clean up crew duping trash.
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

Quote Originally Posted by frEEk View Post
    BC
    Whitewater: Overnight RV parking allowed in Nordic lot
    I was at Whitewater last week in my truck camper and after 2 nights parked in front of the day lodge they asked me to move for plowing purposes to the parking lot near the shop. There are plug ins there but I didn't inquire about a plug in, I just used my generator.

BC
    Red: has RV spot right at the base, and $10 a night includes power. Sweet deal.

ID
    Schweitzer: Yes, at $20 a night (no power, no facilities)

MT
    Whitefish: yes, lower lot, 1 min walk to lifts.
    Big Sky: no (guest services told me yes, but the day lot sign and security guy say otherwise)

Update on Big Sky. While officially you cannot park here, and I have heard stories from another frequent camper that people do get shooed off and even get a boot, seems enforcement is inconsistent. Was there on a busy weekend at the back of free lot and was left alone. Also the overfow lots are not private land I'm told and thus may be fair game.

WY
    Jackson Hole: no. Told no by parky in the $5 lot. Got away with one night in the upper lot but got a notice on my window the next morning. All nearby spots that looked good from satellite were private property. Late arrival/early departure spots in town likely the best bet, or possibly the commuter lot

ID
    Sun Valley: although guest services say no, I tried the upper River Run lot as the OP suggested, saw no signs against it and wasn't bothered.

UT
    Snowbasin: Official word from security is Lot 2, as far down as possible (H level?)

Having an epics trip. Leaving slc and heading to Jackson hole in our rental 26ft rv. Any tips on parking at Jackson hole. Free or pay.

Any one try Mt Rainier National Park in the spring? Like when Cayuse Pass first opens? or stevens way down by the tatoosh?

Quote Originally Posted by topher0411 View Post
    Having an epics trip. Leaving slc and heading to Jackson hole in our rental 26ft rv. Any tips on parking at Jackson hole. Free or pay.
    See my post 3 above you. Ninja the $5 lot after the parkies are gone (late afternoon seems to be good enough) or even the main ($15) lots seem to be safe bets for short stays. I just did Snowbasin today and am now at Solitude. If you haven't already, I would do Snowbasin tomorrow (since you're heading north, if you haven't passed it already). It dumped today and at the end of the day there was good fresh lines almost everywhere. Tomorrow will be awesome if the visibility holds up (it sucked for much of today).

Thanks for that. We had an epic powder day at peak city. Hit solitude on Sunday and it was pretty sweet as well. Looks like the next few days in SLc area will be awesome, to bad we need to get northbound.

Looking at your original list I see you are doing SUn Valley. Unless you are doing it for completion or historical interest, skip it. Hardly any snow, generally hardpacked, and not much interesting terrain. Nice place in its own way, but more fairweather ski vacationer than Tetonhead. Do Snowbasin or maybe Schweitzer on the way back instead (west of WHitefish)

Yeah we bailed on sun valley. Off to Jackson the. Big sky. Whitefish. Castle. And drop rv back in Calgary late next week. What size rig did you get away with in the $5 lot? We are coming back SLc for a week late march non rv and will get snow basin. Thanks for the tips. See how Jackson goes. A bit nervous as we have no backup options there, not even a single pay rv resort up there.

Toph, Check out Beaver Mtn on the way to Jackson. Camping is allowed in lot and a very cool little place. Is on 89 at the east end of logan canyon on the way to Jackson. FYI I got rousted by security in the JHMR lots and parked on some side streets in town near Snow King.

In Wilson there is a place - Jackson Hole Camp grounds that has camping and RV maybe closed but may be worth a try calling to see if they have a slot plowed out.
    Last edited by iamchappy; 02-29-2012 at 12:47 PM.

toph, I got a 26' too. If you got it from canadream then it will be the exact same unit (cept i bought it... too much $ to rent for 3 months). I actually parked in the upper $15 lot. The $5 lot i pulle dinto when the parkies were there and they turned me away (probably could have just stayed anyway but who knows). There were a couple campers parked right next to the parky's booth in the lot next to the hostel that had clearly been there a couple days.

Backup, yeah there are places in town. Someone mentioned Albertsons. THere are some commercial areas where u coudl easily arrive late and leave early.

There is a campground advertised to be open, tho I could never get thru on the phone. And they're $60 a night according to their website. Forget that.

Jackson was easily the toughtest RV spot on my trip so far.

UT
    Solitude: Yes, in the lot by the village (no in the larger daylodge lot). Scanning your ticket on the way out covers the pay parking fee.

Alta/Snowbird: No. Country ordinance says no overnight parking in the watershed, and the nigh security guy at Alta said it IS enforced. The rule doesn't make snese to me though, as there is an RV park there in summer, so how is that OK but parking in a lot in winter for a night isn't? Anyone ever tried parking in Altabird and got away with it?

Quote Originally Posted by topher0411 View Post

Yeah, we got away with camping one night in the Ranch lot. But a parking attendant asked my girlfriend if we were planning on staying another night he just said ok. They are pretty friendly, guess rules are rules though. Not sure about parking in town, could be tricky. Probably setting up late and leaving before people start arriving to work is your best bet.

UT
    Alta/Snowbird: there is a trailhead shortly before the canyon road starts that has appears to allow overnight (and no-one bothered me) here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.57...13672&t=h&z=18

Canyons: allowed in the lot by the Silverado hotel.

In SLC in general there are a ton of places you can do (not counting the Costco and Walmart lots).

UT
    Park City (the resort): nope

Deer Valley: ditto

Park City (the city) in general is pretty tough. All the public lots at parks etc say no overnight. Info lady at Deer Valley said it is a city ordinance (they always talk like they would LOVE to let you stay in their lots but its out of their hands... really wish they wouldn't insult my intelligence like that). The Walmart jut north of Park City doesn't allow overnight in winter either. Best bet is clearly the Canyon's Silverado lot, though don't know if they would take kindly to more than a couple nights. I ended up finding dead ends at stalled real estate developments for a couple nights. There is on fairly reasonable RV park on the I-80 but they have restrictions on what units can be there, and even then they can't get their info straight as to what is and isn't. The few spots that don't have restrictions (hidden away from public eye in the valley) are full.

CO
    Vail/Beaver Creek: by the tracks just off the Minturn turnoff worked for me, but that may just be cause there is no snow in the valley. Avon Walmart doesn't appear to enforce the no overnight parking signs.

CO
    Aspen: the intercept lot worked for me for a night, but as I was leaving the next morning I was told that the lot is for commuters only (a fine example of douchery really... the place is 90% empty, I'm not disturbing anyone or getting in anyone's way... why can't skiers park there overnight? they're spending money there to ski and eat after all)

Crested Butte: guest services lady mentioned she thought the lot by the tourist info center in town was allowed for up to a week (not confirmed though)

Telluride: $25 in the parking structure in the mountain village. Or free in the town in the RV lot. Bit confusing here though: the rep on the phone told me ok to stay in the town lot, and the town map suggests so too, but there was a sign on the lot saying no camping allowed. I was undisturbed for a night though.

Mammoth: no, though I'm told people just leave in the eve and come back late (after midnight?).

Kirkwood: yes, $25 a night in lot 7 only, and fri/sat night are normally not allowed (tho there seem to be many exceptions)

Have I mentioned yet how much I hate that the RV parking rules are so hard to find out (calling and asking usually requires a call back) and especailly how the official word is so often not the same as the reality/unofficial rule? Works fine for a season pass holder who comes back all the time, but sure makes it hard for someone just visiting for a few days, and that's the RV that's actually bringing some money into town. I really wish resorts would just adopt reasonable rules and post them accurately (which should of course be somehting like, must be well behaved, must be ready to move at X oclock for plowing every day, 7 nights max if worried about people living there). And offer power for $10 a night.
    Last edited by frEEk; 03-25-2012 at 08:28 AM.

At Kirkwood I complained that they are providing nothing for the $25 and should at least provide access to the community association gym/hot tub. The junior assistant manager was: "Well parking is at a premium here". Me: "parking is not in demand overnight". Anyway the hot tub is $10 for members and resort guests. So I insisted that my $25 overnight parking fee made me a guest, so another $10 got me in the hot tub.