Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Revelstoke (RMR) allows overnight RV parking with no hook ups at the back of the main parking lot but I doubt they would allow a winter long stay. I think there is a campground near Revelstoke that stays open for the winter and might have a monthly rate. Most RVs are not set up with plumbing that functions in a Canadian winter so your biggest problem might not be finding a place to park, it might be finding a place to shower.
    Thanks DanoT, that removes a lot of our worries and opens up our options. I will give a quick brief of what else we have found out in case other people are thinking about doing the same.

If we go for the staying in the RMR car park for say 3-4 nights a week we will get an aquatic centre pass for $135 so we are able to fill in the nights and also have access to showers.

If it doesn’t work out and RMR do kick up a fuss we have found out that KOA Camping ground offers monthly rates of $550 + HST. They said we can buy two months worth of nights and spread it out over 4 months. Doing it that way we aren’t paying for time not spent there and have access to showers when we are back in town.

Wondering if anyone has stayed at Sunshine Villages parking lot? Are they cool overnight campers? And where? Or anywhere else near Banff/SV/LL?

So I ended up gettgin an F-150 with airbags in the back so weight isn't an issue anymore. Going to get a heated camper now.

I bumped into the guy who runs the parking operations at Alpine Meadows this weekend and asked him if there's an official policy. Officially, you can't park overnight in the AM parking lots in an RV. Unofficially, just ask nicely when it isn't too busy, and they'll probably accommodate you. Also, there's also the option of using the parking lots down by the transportation center (bottom of the access road near 89). The parking supervisor has actually suggested putting hook-ups in there, but don't expect that to happen any time soon.

Bottom line: don't expect to spend extended amounts of time in AM's parking areas, but if you're polite and ask first, they'll probably let you hang out as long as it doesn't interfere with other stuff.

If you're going to be at AM and want an introduction to the guy who runs the parking, feel free to track me down and if I'm around, I'll be happy to introduce a maggot.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Because this thread needs to be kept alive as it is SO valuable to those of us who are traveling.
    Note these are my experience, and not necessarily the official word. In many cases, perhaps I was only left alone because it was so dead, plus I'm just one person so no noise, and no generator noise.

BC:
    Manning: Yes, right by the base (website lists season pass cost only)
    Apex: Yes, in the main lots.
    Big White: Yes (per a lifty's word... lot at Gem Lake, which saves 10km of driving each way, was DEAD and almost certainly a candidate).
    SilverStar: Sign says no RVs allowed, but no-one bothered me (it was dead though, and there were other cars parked there overnight)

Note:
    Crystal and Stevens in WA are pay only. Stevens is a real good location, $30 with power. Crystal... some of them are close, others are bit of a hike (particularly the powered ones). $20 no power, $30 with (paid to US forest service, not the resort). Must behave in Crystal as host said the program was on probation.

Is Overnight parking allowed at:
    Durango DMR?
    Crested Butte?

Telluride might be a challenge. there is free skier parking but no overnight parking. Tips?

Sun Peaks: Overnighting allowed in P4
    Revelstoke: despite what the website says, signs in the parking lot direct overnighters (must be self contained) to register with the lodge.

For telluride see somewhat nearby Ridgway SP CG open year round

Quote Originally Posted by frEEk View Post
    Big White: Yes (per a lifty's word... lot at Gem Lake, which saves 10km of driving each way, was DEAD and almost certainly a candidate).
    I have parked overnight in the Happy Valley gondola parking lot without incident. This lot is massive and I have seen several snow covered RVs parked for long periods toward the lot's outer reaches.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Taos allows overnight parking no fee no hookups. sweet. that could be awesome.

Monarch Mtn doesnt have overnight parking however nearby Salida may have year round CGs. Not a bad plan.

Well since I havent really met a maggot that hasnt been a stand up person Ill throw this one out there. Maggots that contribute useful info and/or stoke can sleep either in my driveway or on my floor for a night or two in the town of Jackson.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Kicking Horse, BC: free parking across from P1 (in the helipad lot). And, if you can believe it, free shore power. Just 2 outlets, and just 15amps... but free camping and shore power about 2 minutes walk from the lifts. Holy crap! Just register in the daylodge.

Quote Originally Posted by frEEk View Post
    Kicking Horse, BC: free parking across from P1 (in the helipad lot). And, if you can believe it, free shore power. Just 2 outlets, and just 15amps... but free camping and shore power about 2 minutes walk from the lifts. Holy crap! Just register in the daylodge.
    Previously I had heard that KMR didn't allow overnight camping. However they were purchased by Resorts of the Canadian Rockies so new ownership likely means new policies.

Getting Ready to do a month trip with 26ft self container RV.. Any isight or parkign tips at

Banff Area
    Whitefish
    Castle
    Jackson Hole
    Big Sky
    Sun Valley
    Alta-Snowbird
    Park City

Alberta
    Lake Louise: no parking at ski hill, but overnight parking available in town (so I was told by some traffic directing kids, and no-one bugged me at the nice little cross country trail head lot by the Station). Also has a nice RV park open in winter (dump open year round, but no water).

Marmot Basin (Jasper): no parking in lots, but there is a great little lot at a 5 Lakes trailhead some 2km south of the turnoff from the Icefields Parkway, with minimal traffic to bother you. I think one of the RV parks just south of Jasper may be open in winter too.

Sunshine Village: no parking in lots. Not too hard to find park lots within 20km that you probably won't be bothered in (just make sure you have your park permit).

topher0411, sounds like we are almost going to be in lockstep. I'm in a 26ft unit too, just finished the above (at Panorama now) and heading south to hit most of what you mention (thought havent heard of Castle and may skip Sun Valley due to time contraints and some negative opinions and it being a ways out of my path).

I do it solo in a Subaru Outback with blacked-out windows, so I can camp out basically anywhere. With night pees into gatorade bottles, I don't even have to set foot on ground & leave any tracks. I've gotten pretty creative over the years

Some observations:

WA is the place to do it!:
    Crystal, Stevens & Alpental all have camper lots. As mentioned above, Crystal & Stevens have hosts & hook-ups for $$, not sure about Alpy. Baker had campers in the lot but I was warned that they plow at 4:30 am so I stayed down in Glacier, west of Chair 9 in a lot that I was told to be "pretty chill". I woke up snowed in by 24" of snow, so that was cool, and blasting out onto 542 was pretty gnar too - faceshots for the Subie!

I saw a Snopark east of Greenwater on the way Crystal that could be a good candidate for free. I was also told that parking in the non-RV lots at Stevens was semi-accepted for those who don't need hookups. I've camped in the lot west of Leavenworth Mtn Sports when I needed some town time. Didn't like that shop anyway. East end of Sultan has a gas station zone that looked chill too. Alpy lot seems relatively unpatrolled.

BC knowledge is limited:
    There is a USFS camping(? maybe picnic) area on the Columbia south of the Rossland border. They keep the crapper open in the winter. Once at Red, the policy was to give $5 to the bartender if you were going to camp in the lower lot. That was back before the new swankiness though...

MT is cold:
    Whitefish seems tricky, so I just crash at the town lumberyard. I'm always looking for places that aren't doing business in the winter. Gotta be stealthy there, but I can only handle 1 day on the Big Mtn catwalks so I'm usually just passing through.

For those going to Lost Trail, the town of Darby is really sleepy & there are a lot of out-of-business places on the south side of town. On the Idaho side there are multiple river access lots that allow camping. I like the Lemhi Hole lot when I stay in Salmon.

Everyone should make a visit to Ski Discovery... never slept in the lot but I'd assume it to be fine. I have done the Phillipsburg self-storage twice because I couldn't make it all the way to the hill.

Big Sky & Moonlight weren't easy. I ninja'd in a condo lot (with electric plugs - sweet!) I'd imagine the "town" of Big Sky has some spots.

Need to go to Bridger still...

WY, errr, Jackson:
    No clue here... I've got friends to stay with but most big lots have "no overnighting" signs. One time I did do the Super8 lot which was plenty shady. I've seen RVs at the Albertsons too...

CO:
    Vail/Beav it's the WalMart lot in Avon. Don't know why anyone would stop here on a road trip though.
    At Crested Butte I've heard its chill to camp at the Gothic trailhead past the mountain. Lots of quiet streets to park on in town.
    Aspen? Telluride? I'd probably just go streetside.

UT sucks:
    It's so urban that I've had a hard time in SLC. I usually result to motel parking lots like the "Extended Stay America". Better go back in this thread to educate myself.

I know its not a great RV list, but maybe helpful for other Subie/SUV/Truck ninja campers. I love the storm chasing life!
    o--/\
    --/(. \
    -/ .) ' \ go with respect, get to know your mountains
    /' (. ' |'\
    ' ' .) ' ,'

Goatski, certainly agree car mode is gonna be way easier. Realistically you should be able to park pretty much anywhere, especially if it is stealthy from the outside (ie. no obvious black plastic blocking windshield). A 26' RV does make things a fair bit more difficult, but honestly I've only had someone knock on my door once so far, and that was cause i was parked in the wrong lot (and the guy was just letting me know for the next night anyway). I would say alot of places that say not allowed you will generally get away with, especially if they are out of the way and quiet. I've parked in a couple resorts that claimed no camping but no-one cared, and there were clearly cars there for more than a night also. Also done a couple park day use lots that claimed no camping, but wasn't bothered. I suspect it depends alot of whether they need to plow or not. If it dumps and they come out to clear while you are there, you may be pissin someone off. Ideally, get in late (say 9) and get up at 5 to be ready if a plow does come around, you can move. Plus, much as I generally hate this attitude, it is a real case of permission vs forgiveness. In this case, it isn't like you are hurting anything or costing anyone, so I don't see the harm. Just remember: they're probably more scared of you

BC
    Panorama: OK in lower lot (bottom of gondola). Nicely isolated so even generator usage should be fine, but short walk to gondola.

Kimberly: OK for short stays, but sounds like it depends on you being good about it.

BC
    Fernie: like Sparwood Dave already said, no go here. Worth asking the parkies or GR in case they're in a good mood and conditions are just right though. Otherwise I read the town has official overnight parking Must be a way to sublet some of the seaon-pass RV spots...

About to hit the road on Monday.. Going to start in/around Bannf.. Any suggestions on parking in town?

Camping overnight in regular lots at major resorts is a big pain in the ass nowadays, as most employ dickhead rent-a-cops who will wake you up and tell you to move on (unless you have a windowless van).

Strictly for getting that early chair and first tracks in the morning, I've camped on various service roads that aren't used by snowmaking crew. The dirt maintenance roads are often pretty quiet the whole night with the exception of endless snowmaking noise. Scope out a few decent options in the daylight and then go there after nightfall....after the hot-tub and pub.

With a 4x4 camper-box rig like in the O.P....who in the hell needs plug-ins??? You're in absolute LUXURY compared to a damn rental car corolla with not even a hatchback !!!!

We had 2 trucks camped out at an unused helipad for like a week one time....we had the best view on the whole mountain.

Just don't forget to put your boots in the bottom of your sleeping bag for the night, so they'll be nice and toasty in the morning.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by topher0411 View Post
    About to hit the road on Monday.. Going to start in/around Bannf.. Any suggestions on parking in town?
    In-town Banff sucks and the cops are assholes.

Head to Canmore....MANY more camping options outside of Canmore. In fact, there is a 4wd trail that leads off the main road before you get to Canmore in the vicinity of Mt. Rundle, but closer to the train tracks, that leads up toward the cave area. Excellent camping prospects there if you have 4wd anda set of 4 chains (you'll need all 4 chains for that trail in winter).

If no 4wd....plenty of quiet rural side-road options just outside of Canmore...scope them out in the daytime. Great people in Canmore...MUCH more easy-going than Banff.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by topher0411 View Post
    I stumbled onto a campground that was open on the outskirts of Banff. You are probably looking for someplace free to park, but if you want to give it a shot it's on the east side of town. Take Tunnel Mountain Road from the north end and you can't miss it. It will be on your right. I was there in late December and it was still open. Sorry I don't have more details but I really just drove by it while checking Banff out.

Hold on. I just did some quick research and this looks like it. http://www.banff-on-a-budget.com/tun...ampground.html

Or you could try staying in this little lot. It was plowed, and the bathrooms were open, but I'd imagine that you wouldn't make it through the night before you got a visitor.

topher, I stayed in 2 lots a couple weeks ago, both in the Castle Junction area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=51.190...num=1&t=h&z=17
    This was some unexplained little plowed area off the Bow Valley Parkway. Right off the road so no privacy but there was virtually no traffic. No-one bothered be here.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=51.190...num=1&t=h&z=17
    Next night crashed here. Small trailhead. Said no parking from 2300 to 700 but I wasn't bothered, but did get a violation notice because I didn't have a park permit displayed (didn't think they applied in the winter cause i never saw a place to buy one). Sat morning several cars started arriving, but overnight was dead.

Course those are both a few km from Sunshine if that's your target. I suspect it would be easy to find a similar spot on the east end of Bow Valley nearer to Banff town.

All that said, if like me you are constantly fighting your batteries as the furnace drains them on a cold night, the $28 RV site at Tunnel may be well worth the money. Gotta love having a decent hot shower and included dump and fill facilities.