Page 86 of 181 FirstFirst ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 4514
    Yes, you are new.

The only difference at that size is maybe the color. Your two year old had likely not yet developed a cultural bias to colors based on gender.

Also, Mondo 16 is kind of hard to come by. I’d grab the pink ones. Spray paint them black if it bothers mom/dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Yes, you are new.

The only difference at that size is maybe the color. Your two year old had likely not yet developed a cultural bias to colors based on gender.

Also, Mondo 16 is kind of hard to come by. I’d grab the pink ones. Spray paint them black if it bothers mom/dad.
    The skis could easily be painted, pink on the books is in the liners, just make sure the pants are long enough to cover them.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    SL skis and armor sold.
    Thanks for the package Mikey! Arrived and we are stoked on the condition of everything. Ready for race camp next month.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So little man is 2 y/o, 37 inches tall, but a skinny 29 lbs.

Trying to decide between 70cm and 80cm skis. He’s probably tall enough for the 80s, but doesn’t have the weight to push them around. At the same time, the 80s will like last through next season as well.

I’m thinking of going for the 80s but just want to make sure they won’t be impossible for him to handle this year. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    go upside down.

Go smaller. Upsizing with little kids is being penny wise and pound foolish. You'll just spend your time spending money inside.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Go smaller. Upsizing with little kids is being penny wise and pound foolish. You'll just spend your time spending money inside.

But is the 10cm really enough to make a huge difference?
    go upside down.

Yes I think 10cm makes a huge difference for small kids.

Take your favorite ski, and demo it 10cm longer. Noticeably different right.
    Now extraploate to a beginner who is smaller, weaker and 10cm is a hugely significant percentage of the ski.
    Maybe your kid can handle the 80s but a for a 2yo i'd learn 70. Take your time and pick wisely. Trying to get 2 years out of little kids gear is generally not a good idea - it's going to the wrong size at least one of those years if not both.

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    Think of it on terms of % of the skier's height/weight. Like my wife always says, an extra 10cm is a lot to handle even for many adults. That 10cm is more like 20-30cm for a 3yr old, 35lb kid.

(Edit: well... DC's post wasn't up when I initially hit reply. But yeah, that.)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Get boots that fit
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Also, avoid demo bindings if possible. The weight of skis alone makes it tough for little ones to maneuver. Some of the demo bindings on little skis weigh a ton and are so long they effectively prevent the ski from flexing.

Plus those tiny little kids skis are cheap.
    K2 Luv Bugs or the boys equivalent with the tip and tail rocker is what we used until our girl skied faster than they wanted to go and they are awesome.

We pretty much have bought new or new used stuff every year for our girl.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Also, avoid demo bindings if possible. The weight of skis alone makes it tough for little ones to maneuver. Some of the demo bindings on little skis weigh a ton and are so long they effectively prevent the ski from flexing.
    I noticed that on these Rossi Experience Pros I found cheap. 80% if the ski is binding. Although can a 30lb kid flex skis anyway?
    go upside down.

Looking for some new skis for my buddy's little ripper. She's about 4'2" at the moment, so I'm think about 115-120cm with bindings.
    Have these Nordicas to trade, or sell if you can use them for your kids.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47969.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	815.4 KB 
ID:	251902

Let me know what'cha got. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    Yes.

You'll be able to sell the small ones after this season and you might be out like $10 in the end.

Keep kids skiing pass it down thread...keep it going

Scarpa T1 W’s 22.5
    $60 shipped

Name:	IMG_8300.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	356.0 KB 
ID:	251979

Black Diamond Stiletto W’s 23
    $75 shipped

Name:	IMG_8302.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	392.4 KB 
ID:	251980

Scarpa Gea W’s 23 sold
    $120 shipped sold

Name:	IMG_8304.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	326.5 KB 
ID:	251981

Name:	IMG_8305.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	400.2 KB 
ID:	251982

Technica Race Pro 70 Kid’s 23
    $45 shipped

Name:	IMG_8306.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	392.2 KB 
ID:	251983
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 10-25-2018 at 08:06 AM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

It's been said before, but with the start of ski season...

If you only have one kiddo, you may not need this thread for small kid ski equipment. A seasonal rental or trade program is simpler and possibly as cheap. If you have more than one kid and can use the same gear for each kid, then by all means buy the little stuff. But otherwise, I don't think it's worth it until they are old enough to actually fit (and deserve) good ski gear.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

No. They won’t flex skis at 30#, or more importantly at 2yrs. Their leg muscles are not developed enough.

That said, go as short as possible. We started at 60cm at that age/size. Less ski offers more confidence. They can more easily walk around on them, weigh less and they are more likely to be able to control the tips.

It seemed to me that the leg muscles developed around age 4, and then what they can flex makes a bigger difference.

Seasonal rentals are a decent idea, but are a little more pricey than buying used from my experience. Tahoe skier for reference.

around here, seasonal rentals are $100-$130. Can trade up mid-season if the kid outgrows something. Yes, it can be done cheaper if you search and are willing to go through that hassle anytime your kid outgrows something.

In any case, just pointing out that scrambling for little kids gear may not be a winning proposition if you only have 1 kid.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

We've got #2 on the way in March, so the 70cm ski/binding combo I just bought at REI for $119 will likely be sticking around for the next couple of years. As I thought about it, since it will end up being used for both kids it seemed like a good deal in terms of substituting for two seasonal rentals.

In fact, my guess is the little guy will always have some nice new (on sale) gear to work with knowing that it will eventually be used by his little sister a few years after that.
    go upside down.

I am searching for skis, boots and potentially one of those harness things more my three year old son. Turn three at the end of July but is on the smaller side for a three year old.

Currently in Denver, moving to RFV in November and will be driving along I-70 several times in November back and forth between the houses.

Thanks!

Edit: Congrats Ron. We also have a daughter that is 18 months behind my son, so will be in a similar scenario.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

gretch, re the harness things. We were told to skip them, because they encourage bad body position. Instead, just use 2 pieces of webbing wrapped around your kid's boots (you can tie a carabiner to the end of the webbing so you can easily loop around the boot and clip). Using the webbing, you can control your kid's speed and even direction a little bit, without messing with their upper body position. Bonus is that it's cheaper than the harness.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    gretch, re the harness things. We were told to skip them, because they encourage bad body position. Instead, just use 2 pieces of webbing wrapped around your kid's boots (you can tie a carabiner to the end of the webbing so you can easily loop around the boot and clip). Using the webbing, you can control your kid's speed and even direction a little bit, without messing with their upper body position. Bonus is that it's cheaper than the harness.
    Thanks Danno. I am guessing I can evaluate the need after the fist couple times out as well. This is his first year on the snow, but has been watching TGR flicks the last couple weeks and working on his 360s on the carpet.....he can spin both ways ;-)

He seems pretty excited to get out there and go.

Also wondering if I am just better off taking him to a place and renting for the season?
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Fwiw we used the harness thingy sparingly and our girl has always had great form. The handle/harness that comes with them is invaluable for pulling them onto chairs and picking them up off of the snow and you will use it long after they outgrow the straps. Mostly keep them on flat terrain and make them turn. The straps are cool for exploration.

agree about the handle. The contortions that your kid can get into when they crash is amazing. I would just grab the handle, lift, and shake, and my kid's limbs would return to their normal position. The handle also helps when you're a terrified parent on the lift with them.

Keep kids skiing pass it down thread...keep it going

I’ve used a hula hoop or 8ft section of Pex pipe instead of a harness for all my kids. They hold on inside the hoop with their hands up front, I hold on in the back and can easily let go and pick up whenever I want, without them really knowing. Pex and a connector is about $10 at HD or Lowe’s.

And for kiddo skis, we rented for the first season with kid #1 then realized it would be cheaper to buy generic colors and cycle gear through all the kids. Used, or Level 9 in SLC has skis/bindings new in their store brand for $109.