2 nice fish - Laramie Plains Lakes - 10-3-09

Caught a fat cutthroat and a strong and lively rainbow this afternoon, bit on black wooly buggers in the wind. I had to cut out early to get back to town, but plan to get back out there tomorrow hopefully.

Cutthroat:

Rainbow:

I love October fishing!
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Those are some round fish! NICE!

Footballs! I wonder what their diet is. They are similar looking to the fish you catch on an unnamed lake in the Gros Ventres, where they feed on freshwater shrimp.

Yes, insane amount of scuds (shrimp) in this lake! Also leeches (hence the success on black or olive buggers) and there are AMAZING caddis hatches on this lake as well.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

By the way, the total cost of my rod set-up was under $100.

Albright Bugati reel, Cabela's Traditional II rod and a Sage line I got on clearance from Sierra Trading Post.

:P

Any way I could get a lake name out of ya? We are headed up tomorrow as well, and I really want to get in wife into some fish so she can break in her new TFO 5wt properly.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Punch View Post
    Any way I could get a lake name out of ya? We are headed up tomorrow as well, and I really want to get in wife into some fish so she can break in her new TFO 5wt properly.
    Sure!

Gelatt Lake (the little one east of Twin Buttes)

Bring lots of black & olive buggers and scuds.

Fishing right now seems to be best around noon to 2pm, according to other guys I talked to (that is when I was fishing too).

I will probably be out there tomorrow. I will be in a new green Subaru Forester with temp tags on it and wearing a dark brown LL Bean wading jacket.

Edit: Also, water isn't as crystal clear as it was earlier in the year. I switched up my tippet today after losing a bugger on a nice fish. I went from 6x to 4x and you could probably get away with something even heavier.

Sounds good we are headed up right now. I think we ate headed to the river first and then if it's too slow head over to the lakes in the afternoon. We are in a desert brown chevy pickup. I'll probally be in an orange wading jacket.

Nice! I hope to see you out there!

caught a few more fatties today. Wind was REALLY rippin today. I switched up to my 9wt just to be able to get a decent cast out there. Only took photos of one fish (both photos of the same fish). I had one more just like it and a third that I had all the way up to my feet and as I was going for my net, he escaped.

Another nice fish! Nice rod too! Love the action on the FLI

Yeah, it's pretty sad when I couldn't even muscle the wind with my 7wt and had to go up to the 9wt (although I used the same reel with my 7wt line). I just wanted more backbone.

Your not kidding about the wind ripping today. We didn't make it out to Gelatt till after 2:00. Got three nice bows to hand and Ashley had one on for a couple seconds till it rolled and broke off. The Laramie river was a total bust, we didn't even see a fish, let alone catch any. Awesome looking water though. Pics to come later tonight.

Sorry I missed you! I got out there at about 10 and stayed until about 1, but couldn't feel my fingers anymore and decided to head in to warm up.

Next time!