Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16
    It has to go into the car so I can lock the car up during the day when I am skiing. The tent will go on the back of the car, enlarging the interior space. I do have one of the doors that open up, but I have built a platform that extends the bed to be long enough for my 6' 2" frame to fit. This will leave the rear hatch propped open and unless I can make a suitable tent to close it I suspect quite drafty. My local area has a season pass for camping in the lot so it won't be a big deal if the subi looks odd. However thieves are always around, so I have to be able to lock the car up while I ski, which means moving the tent to the inside of the car.

another option is the seat extender. It's typically used to give more leg room to taller people (making the seat go back farther) but I believe it can also be used to make the seat go farther forward. Could be just the thing so you can sleep with the hatch shut.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ECVH24A...sert-amazon-20
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

What model subi are you trying to outfit?

I think the best option is to keep everything contained like powdork is saying. If you have a 4 door it shouldn't be a problem with the passenger seat forward. The tent idea sounds cool but will probably be a huge pain in the ass when it gets wet. Same problem with campers that have the soft pop outs, fucking awesome until you have to put it away wet and deal with the mold.

The only way this could viably work IMO would be to somehow drape it over the roof of the car during the day. Just close the corners in the doors.

Anyone got suggestions on cheap but very warm sleeping bag for this kind of use? Since it'll live in the rig, weight and packability matter zero.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Why a bag and not a quilt, or some variation of such? Unless you need the zippered cocoon to keep from sprawling out?

In my case, partly because squirmy kiddos are too wiggly and we'll be using a cargo trailer so not much insulation beneath - although maybe

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by flyman683 View Post
    Anyone got suggestions on cheap but very warm sleeping bag for this kind of use? Since it'll live in the rig, weight and packability matter zero.
    I don't have extensive experience with car camping so take this with a grain of salt, but if you're looking for something truly on the cheap check out the Alps Mountaineering Echo Lake -20* bag. I've had it for about 3 winters, slept in the car with it maybe 15 times total, never anything below mid teens. I tend to run hot and can recall a night that was right around 20 and I slept in nothing but underwear. The toe box gets chilly at times but that may be because of my setup putting my feet right next to the rear glass. Blanket(s) around the neck area are also crucial to cut the draft. IIRC it was sub $100, at that price I was expecting it to perform more like a 0* bag.