Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16
    What model subi are you trying to outfit?

I think the best option is to keep everything contained like powdork is saying. If you have a 4 door it shouldn't be a problem with the passenger seat forward. The tent idea sounds cool but will probably be a huge pain in the ass when it gets wet. Same problem with campers that have the soft pop outs, fucking awesome until you have to put it away wet and deal with the mold.

The only way this could viably work IMO would be to somehow drape it over the roof of the car during the day. Just close the corners in the doors.

Anyone got suggestions on cheap but very warm sleeping bag for this kind of use? Since it'll live in the rig, weight and packability matter zero.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Why a bag and not a quilt, or some variation of such? Unless you need the zippered cocoon to keep from sprawling out?

In my case, partly because squirmy kiddos are too wiggly and we'll be using a cargo trailer so not much insulation beneath - although maybe

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by flyman683 View Post
    Anyone got suggestions on cheap but very warm sleeping bag for this kind of use? Since it'll live in the rig, weight and packability matter zero.
    I don't have extensive experience with car camping so take this with a grain of salt, but if you're looking for something truly on the cheap check out the Alps Mountaineering Echo Lake -20* bag. I've had it for about 3 winters, slept in the car with it maybe 15 times total, never anything below mid teens. I tend to run hot and can recall a night that was right around 20 and I slept in nothing but underwear. The toe box gets chilly at times but that may be because of my setup putting my feet right next to the rear glass. Blanket(s) around the neck area are also crucial to cut the draft. IIRC it was sub $100, at that price I was expecting it to perform more like a 0* bag.

Bumping this thread, I built out a nice platform out of 2x4s and birch plywood in my minivan for the upcoming winter, but I noticed a pretty hefty smell of glue outgassing from the plywood every time I get in my car. A little research online says this is common, but anyone have this experience directly and did it bother you / did you do anything to mitigate it?

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Bumping this thread, I built out a nice platform out of 2x4s and birch plywood in my minivan for the upcoming winter, but I noticed a pretty hefty smell of glue outgassing from the plywood every time I get in my car. A little research online says this is common, but anyone have this experience directly and did it bother you / did you do anything to mitigate it?
    Plywood glue is nothing to be sniffing all night. The smell will eventually go away but you might try to wrap the deck with a vapor barrier like tyvek to get through the season. Some commercial carpet over that is always a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    Plywood glue is nothing to be sniffing all night. The smell will eventually go away but you might try to wrap the deck with a vapor barrier like tyvek to get through the season. Some commercial carpet over that is always a nice touch.
    Why not just prime it with oil based killz??

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I am no hybrid expert but I think Toyota only utilizes 50 percent of the hybrid battery or something like that so that it is never fully discharged and never fully charged. This is to preserve the battery life. Your idea would be gobbling up battery life if you run them down (you would). Using batteries for heat seems like a bad idea to me except maybe using a cheap deep cycle battery for an electric blanket.
    This is it. You can easily convert, as I have it done in a 2005 CRV. Deep Cycle Marine (or better yet Golf Cart) battery with inverter will give you the power, but you can't even light up the small heaters with a 1500 Watt inverter due to the power drain at start, so the electric blankets are just easier.

I have a Phantom Torch 3 so that I can sleep in my truck and when camping outside.