The Caminito del Rey (a TR)

You must have seen this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDhRvvs5Xw"]YouTube - El Camino del Rey [High Quality][/ame]

A couple of years back it was one of the most forwarded videos around. It blew me away that this thing even existed. When Mrs Roo told me that a work colleague of hers was getting married in the south of Spain, I couldn't resist sneaking a harness into my bag and scheduling a daytrip to the Desfiladeros de los Gaitanes at El Chorro. Game on.

Our first view of the incredible Caminito del Rey, or King's Path. This was built in 1901 to get workers up to build part of a hydroelectric scheme. It then fell into disrepair and, after four people were killed, was closed to the public in 2001, the entrance way to the Caminito being dismantled. These poor folks shoes are still strung over one of the power cables on the approach to the path.

In order to access the path, you've got to cross a railway bridge that carries the main Malaga line. Every hour or so, an electric train will swish across. This is the view of the start of the path from the railway bridge. This was going to be tougher than I had bargained for.

I had formulated a plan. There seemed to be some old stanchions from the original build in place lower down and then what looked like a chimney up the cliff face that may be accessible to a hack like me. Anyway, in for a penny...

Treading carefully, it's a stretch to get from one stanchion to the next. Fortunately there is some protection on the wall that you can clip into.

Onwards and upwards. The path can be seen at the top of this shot.

On the path proper. This is the sort of thing you need to negotiate. This is a lean and shimmy sort of deal.

Let's go.

The bridge that carries the water pipe across the gorge.

This section requires a tightrope approach. I look a little gripped up there on my own. The camera went into the bag here.

Here's the access route. Go further through the tunnels and there's some stunning views and the opportunity to downclimb off one of the bridges into the gorge.

Mrs Roo heads through the tunnel.

Having fun on a separate section of pathway.

The view from the first tunnel gallery across the gorge. (pic lifted from Wikipedia as I didn't have a wide enough angle on my lens to do it justice).

This second bridge is the best access to the gorge.

The top of the cliff overhangs the railway here and gives amazing acoustics. I think this is some of the best climbing in El Chorro.

View up to the path.

The base of the gorge. Not a soul around.

Cooling off.

The far end of the Caminito del Rey.

Sitting on the main line eating biscuits is possibly not to be recommended.

The first gallery on the way back.

Vultures clearly thought I looked like a potential meal.

Our last look back. Check out this zoomed in shot for an idea of scale...

In 2006, the local government passed a resolution to restore the Caminito del Rey. While this would doubtless make it safer, it would also sanitise the experience and reduce the thrill. If you'd like to experience it while you still can, get there quick. It's like nothing else.
    Last edited by Roo; 10-01-2009 at 05:47 AM.
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

someone should do this with bikes!

Awesome.

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

In a word - Wow....
    Thats a new one for me!
    Nice TR Roo
    More background info & reading here.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caminito_del_Rey[/ame]

great!!!

Holy crap. Way to feed the beast, Roo!

dizzam, I'm just gripped looking at some of the pictures!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The little lady and I did the Camino last year on a Euro climbing trip.
    One of the most pant shittingly scary and fun "I can't believe we're doing this" things I've done in my life.

FKNA.

Maximum respect to you and your gal!

It's a breathtakingly beautiful spot, isn't it?

Did you get up there the way I did?

Nice stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post

In 2006, the local government passed a resolution to restore the Caminito del Rey. While this would doubtless make it safer, it would also sanitise the experience and reduce the thrill. If you'd like to experience it while you still can, get there quick. It's like nothing else.
    Any idea what level of restoration? I suppose it's better than it continuing to degrade and eventually falling apart completely.

Ya we got up the same way you did.

Kind of a funny story. We had seen it on YouTube before the trip. We went and looked at it the first day and I said "Fuck that. No fucking way am I doing that. Absolutely fucking no way in hell" (see Roo's first pics for the "No fucking way" view) That evening we hooked up with a Brit ex pat in the bar who had done it a bunch. Next thing I know it's 2AM, we're wasted and our new friend Ian has convinced us to hit it the next day.

Sooo, after that barstar performance, either I look like the classic shit talker who bails in the morning, or I sack up and do it. So we did it. We shuttled a car to a bar/restaurant at the far end of the canyon, did a couple pitches of climbing in the morning, then did the Camino in the afternoon, finishing off with a couple of cold ones. Definately a very memorable day.

PS the little lady wasn't nearly as gripped as I was!

Good work, it's on my list...
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Found the next target to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post

PS the little lady wasn't nearly as gripped as I was!
    The "little lady" has bigger balls then you do

FKNA, way to get after it Roo, Clownshoe and little Clownshoe. It is really cool to hear about this, and see the vids, and then get real TRs, thanks for posting.

How well protected are the sketchy sections? It looks like there are cables to clip into, are they new or old rusted out junk, like a lot of the walk way?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Wow Roo
    That's some excellent quality. Great pics, great adventure, big balls and ballzettes.

And I thought Poison Spider was scary!

Very cool TR. Thanks for sharing.

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Fuuuuuck!
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

awesome..

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    How well protected are the sketchy sections? It looks like there are cables to clip into, are they new or old rusted out junk, like a lot of the walk way?
    I wouldn't want to trust the cables particularly but I think they offer psychological benefit if nothing else. I gave one a good yank and it paid out quite a way. They don't go all the way round the walk either.

The route up has some decent protection in most places. There was one section on the traverse where I couldn't clip in at all due to my leashes being too short, so I had to just wing it. The climb up the chimney has a fairly non technical section at the top where there is no protection. It's not too difficult but the exposure is dizzying and the footholds aren't at all certain because it's slippery/gravelly underfoot.

Nice work!

This is something most definitely NOT on my bucket list.

Thumbs up

Very cool. Thanks for posting that up.

I honestly can say I would not be able to do this. I would grip the fuck out before I even got to that chimney part.
    Live Free or Die

That almost made me barf.

This account of it gave me an adrenaline rush in my seat.

http://iluvwalking.com/blog/2009/01/...mount-huashan/

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    Found the next target to work on.