Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

What in the ski world has the most room for improvement?

Across the board, whatever you think.

I'm gonna have to say gear.

And by gear I mean AT bindings and boots.

improvement...hmm, im gonna go with the tool fuck image a lot of the young pros have.

Strippers in gondolas would be a start.

Accessibility to the average family. Almost everyone I know takes up the sport solo these days, not like back in the day when families could realistically spend winter weekends on the hill.

That and easier access to hookers and blow in mountain towns.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    improvement...hmm, im gonna go with the tool fuck image a lot of the young pros have.
    lol i couldnt agree more.

But in a gear aspect. Boots

we need gravity control devices, and means to direct storms towards our favorite powder spots..

Environmental responsibility and financial sustainability.

edit: and internet message boards.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

My skillz.

and what adironRider said...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I think ski area's need to split from real estate companies. That model sucks IMO.

The snow conditions, it seems like winter is way shorter than it used to be and that the snow levels are getting lower and lower every year throughout the world.

Iceman's body.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Things need to be cheaper, and by cheaper I mean lower in price, and by things I mean:

1) Lift tickets/season passes
    2) Potentially life saving avy equipment
    3) Heli-skiing
    4) High end (highly waterproof/breatheable) clothing

In terms of gear improvement, in all honesty I think companies have done an awesome job. It's getting to the point now, where you really can't go wrong with most skis out there, and they actually make it really hard to pick a ski. Nevertheless I would like to see:

1) Interchangeable din/vibram soles, like the factors, so that we can tour more in our alpine boots
    2) Lighter dukes
    3) A duke style binding from Salomon

I also would like to see higher salaries/hourly wages for ski industry jobs.
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

Day lift ticket prices. After buying my season pass I really don't want to go anywhere and pay a tenth of my season pass just to ski a day.

I'm going more specific - telemark bindings and Magic Mtn's snowmaking!

Price points that don't deter from more people participating in the sport.
    Fresh Tracks are the ultimate graffitti.
    Schmear

Set forth the pattern to succeed.
    Sam Kavanagh

Friends of Tuckerman Ravine

Mass Transit

I would like to see efficient convenient mass transit to major ski areas. This is directed specifically at the Tahoe area.

Its not just for convenience but to cut down on the environmental impact of the massive parking requirements in the mountains not to mention the impact of all the cars driving to and from.

Cloud seeding.

Snow guns that only make powder.

Quote Originally Posted by njfreeskier View Post
    2) Lighter dukes.
    Dukes made from Titanium would roool. They'd be way to expensive for me, but it would be cool if they made a few pairs.

This place
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

"We been runnin' these goddam hills for dang near, huh?"
    Sturgis Uncensored

Not that it makes a damn bit of a difference to my enjoyment of a ski day but I wouldn't mind seeing less kids wearing their ski pants halfway down their ass at the resort.

Not in any particular order...

1. More BC safety awareness. I am still in awe of how many people I see making laps of loveland pass without a avy pack.

2. Why don't skis have a universal binding system like snowboards? What I mean is a set of standard threads in the skis that you can mount any binding to, and also allowing you to move the binding fore-aft.

3. I agree daily lift passes are ridiculously expensive. And as someone already posted, it really discourages you from skiing someplace other than where you have your season pass. But in the US skiing is a highbrow sport, and if you can afford to travel to and stay in a ski town (not to mention buying clothes and gear) for your winter holiday, 20-40 bucks for a daily lift ticket isn't going to cause you to cancel your trip. (nor would a $20 cheaper lift ticket all of a sudden make the vacation affordable). I think we should just be glad there are some offerings that make resort access a little more reasonable for "locals".

Puder Luder

I'd say that the way manufacturers think of and treat the industry. They come up with this MAP or MSRP, and assert that it is a mechanism to "protect" the retailers. In fact, it is an ineffective, and an archaic thought process. Look at this board: everyone wants, and even expects, a discount. Sales reps., are selling "samples" to any/everyone; ebay is full of sellers who have the latest and greatest, which is being offered for less. Retailers do not make their money from the sale of skis (atleast none of the many whom I know). They all make their money from the sale of soft goods, accessories, and the like. THey don't need the "protection" of the manufacturers to survive. They survive by the service they provide (mounts, tunes, etc.) and the sale of soft goods.
    It is time for the manufacturers to relax, and abolish the MAP, MSRP scrutiny. Skiing is becomming a very expensive sport. It should not be that way. We need more people on the slopes at an affordable price (ala tennis in Sweeden), and less regulation trying to make it a sport for the dentists.

Other serious problems include the real estate/rental markets, lift costs and the costs of concessions. But that's another (although related) discussion.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

People can wax fanciful about how nice it would be if things were cheaper and such, but realistically, I agree with Blurred:

Quote Originally Posted by Blurred View Post
    And by gear I mean AT bindings and boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    .....We need more people on the slopes at an affordable price (ala tennis in Sweeden), and less regulation trying to make it a sport for the dentists.

Other serious problems include the real estate/rental markets, lift costs and the costs of concessions. But that's another (although related) discussion.
    I wasn't expecting this reaction from people here. Aren't a lot of treads about how many gapers are already on the hill? Don't you think making it less expensive (more accessible) would only add to the lift lines and density of gapers? This is not necessarily my personal view, but just an observation from reading this forum.

Puder Luder

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I would like to see efficient convenient mass transit to major ski areas. This is directed specifically at the Tahoe area.

Its not just for convenience but to cut down on the environmental impact of the massive parking requirements in the mountains not to mention the impact of all the cars driving to and from.
    This is a pretty interesting topic to me, in the Tahoe area. What are some of your ideas regarding mass transit to ski areas in LT?