Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    here is some sample footage, lame terrain and riding, but to give an idea....

Shot with the 1080p

on "tall HD" mode:
    1280x960
    30fps
    reduced exposure to -1

using goggle mount and tightly strapped goggles on a helmet. I think the helmet mount will be a bit better.

I think "tall HD" will be my go to setting as the 1080p is too large for my monitor, and the 720p has a pretty good FOV for riding. getting the exposure right will be tricky though as -1 would likely be to dark for stormy days. It would be much nicer if they had an exposure toggle switch on the camera itself. It does have a 2 way customizeable switch for video quality, mine is set at "tall HD" and "action HD" which is 1280x720 at 60fps. I havent tried that setting yet, and probably wont much, as I think I'll prefer the taller FOV vs the faster speed.

Should be a fun season.....

edit: looks like you have to go to vimeo to watch in "HD"

http://tinyurl.com/ylcfeol
    Last edited by HikeforTurns; 11-20-2009 at 01:23 PM.

See that video does not look as fuzzy as some of the ones created by LeeLau and the stuff I have created here, then again I have been sticking with 1920x1080, have yet to tweak any of the other settings. Why did you decide to reduce the exposure?

You have been paying attention and realized I am shooting with the ContourHD standard right

Yes I have, though, you have (just not on snow) posted some ContourHD 1080p vids to Vimeo. Which I am also using for comparison.

Appreciate all the videos and the write-ups BTW.

looks good

Quote Originally Posted by unpossible View Post
    Yes I have, though, you have (just not on snow) posted some ContourHD 1080p vids to Vimeo. Which I am also using for comparison.

Appreciate all the videos and the write-ups BTW.
    THe ones I posted were with a loaner. My test unit just got here so no shooting on-snow with that yet. As for videos - all I'm likely able to produce for a bit will be low-light powder snow vids - no sunny days forecasted for a while

I finally got some sun and avoided all that annoying chest-deep blower pow that undoubtedly contributes to degraded video quality. A relied as it spared my having to do a road trip to Colorado or someplace with sun

Two videos - both of the same trip but with different goals\

[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/7861221"]Decker -Blackcomb backcountry Nov 27, 2009 on Vimeo[/ame]

[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/7861715"]On-snow review of GoPro HD, ContourHD, and ContourHD 1080 on Vimeo[/ame]

Some riding footie

[ame="http://vimeo.com/7945216"]Loam roam - North Shore on Vimeo[/ame]

So Leelau, when are we gonna see your final conclusions on the ContourHD? Yay or nay? I noticed that Amazon has a super deal on the ContourHD (720p version) with $80 instant rebate bring the price down to $170, using the following discount code: CONTOURH

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026P4H6K/ref=ox_ya_os_product"]Amazon.com: ContourHD – HD Helmet Camera by VholdR: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Very tempting even though I dont need a POV cam. But come to think of it, I dont really 'need' a lot of the toys I've got. Since when was need a deciding factor ;D

I've been skiing a lot so am tardy with the article but here in general are my conclusions re the Contour HD

- the Goggle mount is awesome for skiing. You can film forwards and backwards. Its easy to use, and setup. It's easy to adjust aim. You can hear it go on and off

- the battery lasts a loooong time in the cold. I accidentally left it on and recording in minus 15 to minus 10 celsius conditions and three hours later it was still recording

- its pretty tough. I shitkicked it by mounting it on the bike in a way that it took a bunch of dirt and rock hits and its' still good. Not recommended to do that btw

Only downside. Seems to record a bit dark for skiing but that's easy to adjust with the video software.

Thanks for the input.... much appreciated. It sounds like a winner at the $170 price point. May have to pull the trigger on this deal ;D

[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/8008312"]Darkside Lake, Duffy on Vimeo[/ame]

GoPro Chest Mount looking forward. Don't like the mount overmuch as my hands occupy too much of the screen. I also could have set it up looking a bit upwards more.

The ContourHD 1080 is on the goggles looking back and the footage is decent - interesting if a bit random

LeeLau, wow....thanks for all the comparisons.

I'm liking the video from the GoProHero...seems a little crisper. But then again, its much bigger. Hmmmmmm.

yo - just for you (and whoever's following the rest of this thread). Here's one article comparing all the ContourHD and GoPro HD. It was a lot of work doing all this comparison but I think it was worth it.

http://www.leelau.net/Misc/GoPro%20HD/feedthehabit.htm

In short, IMO, there's very little to choose between the two in video quality. I had kidwoo look over the videos and he thought the GoPro was a bit better in being less shaky. I respect his opinion and he's had a lot more video experience then me so take that into account/.

Lee, I really appreciate the reviews and videos you've been posting this fall. That comprehensive article ^ is helpful. Thanks!

is it worth the extra money to get a 1080? or should i just get a 720 for $180 less?
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

pulled the trigger on a 720 for $170 w/ 2 day shipping. I'm happy with the purchase
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Quote Originally Posted by wizard604 View Post
    So Leelau, when are we gonna see your final conclusions on the ContourHD? Yay or nay? I noticed that Amazon has a super deal on the ContourHD (720p version) with $80 instant rebate bring the price down to $170, using the following discount code: CONTOURH

Amazon.com: ContourHD – HD Helmet Camera by VholdR: Camera & Photo

Very tempting even though I dont need a POV cam. But come to think of it, I dont really 'need' a lot of the toys I've got. Since when was need a deciding factor ;D
    Thanks man! Trigger pulled.

And thanks to all here for the reviews.
    the kids are all wasted on pot listening to heavy metal

hi.

sry to jump in, but i found this thread while searching for info on the contour 1080p.
    im not looking to use it for skiing or anything like that but for airsofting(like paintball).
    but would like to know a few things before i hand over the cash.

how well does it work in low lighting situations,as i will mainly be in wooded areas.

how far do they actually see clearly,as theres no zoom.

would you saythis is better than the go pro hero or not?

i prefer the size,look of this better as i can mount it alot easyier,but i know the go pro has a better field of view and slightly smaller apeture(so should be slightly better in low light).

cheers for the help
    peter

Here is a video we did using both 720p and 1080p on bikes and cars: http://www.visionwells.com/vholdr/as...ngle_HiRes.mov

I personally think that the ContourHD is much better then the GoPro because of adjustable lens angle and a slicker profile so as not to stick out too far from the helmet. Plus the GoPro has a inherent flaw - it pivots on a screw to the mounting base and a big enough shock in the forward or backward direction will tilt the camera ruining the shot.

I would recommend using the industrial velcro on a flat mount (replacing the stock adhesive that comes with it) on the side of the helmet. The velcro I linked to comes off the helmet leaving no residue.

P.S. if you think the sound quality if not up to par you can always mod the camera:

Was searching and found this today: http://www.vholdr.com/forums/contour...-1080p-picture

Seems like the blurry video, though I have yet to mine outdoors, could be a HW issue. Originator of the thread had his unit replaced and says everything is better now.

Lee, have you tweaked any of the metering settings yet?

Hoping to get up to Tahoe this weekend to give a try. Going to use the standard settings the first day with 720p60 and will see how that comes out and will adjust accordingly.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the GoPro seems more crisp (666).
    Just think how much more epic your TR's will be with some POV footage. If the form factor wasn't so damn weird it would be a compelling product.

Quote Originally Posted by dima View Post
    Here is a video we did using both 720p and 1080p on bikes and cars: http://www.visionwells.com/vholdr/as...ngle_HiRes.mov]
    Considering how little real time playback of footage with the camera moving is in that clip, that's a terrible example.

It's pretty funny with what IS in there though. That real time clip of the driver shows the wonderful jello vision that thing puts out.

But you're right about one thing.....the camera itself DOES look better. From what I can tell that's about all it's got going for it.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Here's the final article

Thx to kidwoo for critique

http://www.feedthehabit.com/skiing/g...owsport-focus/

Summary: GoPro HD vs. Vholdr Contour HD

The Vholdr ContourHD 1080 and GoPro HD are relatively cost-effective, robust POV cameras. There’s little to choose between them in terms of video quality; both are good. Both are subsceptible to producing jerky video, however, jerkiness can be minimized by using the cameras in appropriate conditions and with appropriate mounts. The ContourHD has a slight edge in useability but the GoProHD will be more resistant to inclement weather. As far as costs go, both are set at $299 USD.

For snowsports both cameras have well thought-out mounts. Non-helmet wearers skiing deep powder might find the ContourHD’s goggle mount to be preferable as that mount is located high and won’t be coated in pow. Helmet – wearers and those who ski in shallow powder or hardpack will find little to choose between the GoPro and ContourHD in terms of mounts and useability – practically speaking, the ContourHD’s goggle and helmet mounts are at least as good as the GoPro’s helmet and chest mounts. From a pure fashion sense the ContourHD’s form factor is sleeker and less obstrusive then the toaster-like GoPro worn on the head. Using the GoPro chest mount remedies this fashion faux pas.

To summarize, both the ContourHD and GoPro HD are compelling POV offerings. Compact, self-contained, very configurable, excellent quality video and decent sound. There’s very little to choose between them and what you pick will depend in large part on individual user quirks and what kind of use you’ll have for them.

and to add to that some more videos with the ContourHD, ContourHD 1080 on the goggle mount and the GoPro HD with the chest mount in the [ame="http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=129105"]Interior Pow[/ame] thread

See the comments here about GoPro HD vs ContourHD quality. Fwiw unpossible, kidwoo and Mark agree with you. I don't particularly see a big difference myself and am going to put a comment in on that article

So I finally had a chance to take my unit out this past weekend and captured some video in a variety of lighting conditions. Had it in 720p60fps (max bit rate) with varying lighting settings. Didn't see much variance in the quality of the videos based on the settings, will likely be using their standard outdoor settings (56, -1, center metering).

Unfortunately I did feel most of the videos appeared more out of focus and fuzzy than I was expecting. I sent an email off to their customer service this morning and got a response about an hour later (on Christmas no less!). Support guy asked me to make some test videos from 2 feet away at a flat surface (bricks). Posted the videos which I thought did a good job of showing the blurry spots. Fell the outer edges of the frame were better than he would have expected, however, he did seem to agree that the center was more out of focus than it should have been, and offered to RMA me a new unit that had been focus tested.

Will see how that goes. Definitely impressed with the customer service so far. I wish I could say the same for my dealings with VIO.

Also wanted to make a few comments on the battery life and the mount...

I ran a test with my unit and a 16gb SD card and found that I was able to record 157 minutes of continuous footage before the battery died, interestingly their appears to be a file size/time limit as it cut the video up into two files, one 97 minutes long, the other 60 minutes long. Given this fact I purchased and extra battery and found that swapping it in during lunch allowed me to record every run I made during the day without issue.

Regarding the mount, I ended up using the goggle mount with some velcro. I was hoping to find the stuff dima suggested, however HomeDepot and Loews were pretty worthless in this regard and only had something they called 'commercial velcro', which looked a lot like normal velcro to me. Regardless it seems to help, however, I do get a little bit of shake still, some of that coming from the helmet not being tight on my head and some coming from the fact the velcro is not a tight as grip as the Dual Lock probably is.

Thx to those who have given feedback on the Contour and GoPro. I'm brand new to helmet cams (or any video recording). I think i am going to go with the Contour. I snowboard and snowmobile in the Teton Valley (idaho,targhee, jackson) area. I think the helmet cam will be a great way to record and share my adventures with friends and family.

Has anyone used the (direct side) helmet mount for the Contour (not the goggle mount)? Wouldn't that be a less of a "shaky" mount?

Like LeeLau, i just want to do some basic editing of my footage (combine clips, and maybe add some music and text). Can anyone recommend an easy yet worthy editing software? I have a sony laptop bought this summer with an intel core 2 duo, 223gb of hard drive space, and 3 GB DDR2 SDRAM. Will this computer be able to do basic video upload and editing from the Contour?

thx.
    unpossible, are you going to share some footage?