Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by QuikR12 View Post
    Broheme, its fall, you can count on good surf in the PNW..
    I was kind of talking about beginnerland here on the strait...which comes and goes.

either way the offer stands.

Look into Witch's Rock Surf Camp in Tamarindo. Great Spot, great vibe. The place is run by a (now 30 or 31 year old) guy who graduated UCSD moved to Costa Rica and built the place himself and now runs it with his wife and a group of locals. The Vibe is laid back, guests and employees alike. No it's not the Ritz, but it's everything you're looking for.. The surf instructors / guides are fired up for every day of teaching, surfing, or whatever, and don't stop when the day's over... they're drinking and eating at the bar or whatever restaurant people are going to. They are doing something they love and hanging out with people who share or want to share the same passion. Honestly, regardless of your level I can't recommend it enough, rank beginners go to the mellow breaks, and experienced take day trips to more advanced breaks or whatever is going off that day.

They currently have 3 boats for day or longer trips, vans for short trips, and a school bus for when everyone wants to go to one spot. You don't really need to bring a board as they have a massive quiver of hand shaped glass short boards, longboards or fishes that you can borrow any day included with your hotel / surfing fee for as long as you're staying.

Anyway, give it a look - November is really the end of the rainy season there so the timing might not work for you, but if you're looking to go between Nov and May, you'll be pretty psyched. Anyway, look them up online, see what you think and decide if it's for you. My week there was good enough to make me write the above, I am also trying to get back there during the first week of Nov a year since my most recent visit.

i think mexico or costa rica is probably what i am looking for. tamarindo sounds cool. what about anywhere on baja?

Cabo is your spot. No crowds, no (or very very little) localism. People are very friendly. I go there 2-3 times a year.

Los Cerritos is the best beginner spot. It is about 45 minutes north of Cabo San Lucas. All sand and no reef to worry about. Super mellow crowd. You can get boards and lessons there. It catches swell year round. If the swell picks up you can really step up your game (once you get some).

In the town of Los Cabos, you can rent a board at Costa Azul and they give lessons right out front. You need south swell so summer is the time to be here. Water temp is in the 80's (so nice).

ditto much of what has already been said thusfar. i'll add my 2 cents: i learnt to surf in the dominican republic. cabarete is predominantly a windsurf/kitesurf destination and when i was there (summertime) the trade winds made it (playa encuentro) unsurfable after 10am every day without fail. however 6am-10am every day for a month provided as close to an ideal learning environment as i can imagine. the waves were knee to shoulder high every day, the instructor[s] spoke perfect english and antonio who taught me recognised that i was desperate to learn and really helped me.

i stayed at ali's surf camp which is a fun place and they cut a pretty good deal for longer stays. i had lessons every morning for a week and then they would just give me advice and tips for free thereafter. i payed $400 from memory for those lessons and access to a whole range of boards to hire for the month thereafter.

i surf when i can at home which isn't enough to get better but it does stop me from regressing too much. then every summer i travel/surf for 2/3 months in exotic surf climes. i'll never be anything other than decent mediocre but as has been said, this is enough to be ultra-rewarding in a way that being mediocre at skiing wouldn't.
    Today ridicule, tomorrow really cool.

http://www.left-collective.com/
    FOLLOW YOUR OWN WAY

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbird Commuter View Post
    Look into Witch's Rock Surf Camp in Tamarindo. .
    That's probably a great choice, even though all the other local surf companies hate them. Either way, they (and Tamarindo) are perfect for an American learning to surf. And they let us poach coffee from them every morning as we drove by.

Hanalei Bay on the N shore of Kauai is a great place to learn to surf. There's a 2 mile beach break with something for everyone. It's got to be one of the most beautiful places I've seen, with steep, green 4000' peaks rising above the turquoise water.

Starting at the east end of the beach is the Pier, which can go off with a good swell. As you move westward, you quickly find the most populated zone with tourists, instructors, and 5 year-old rippers. Here you can eavesdrop on lessons and not have to deal with a territorial locals vibe. Further west is Pine Trees, home break for some of the top pros in the world and a good place to watch how it's done. There are other reef breaks further out too.

Season is Fall to Spring. You can camp at Anini beach nearby, or rent a house in town (or a condo at Princeville if that's your style), and rent boards within walking distance of the beach. While Hanalei is a sweet spot, it's not overbuilt like some other Hawaiian beach areas. Please help keep it that way, and respect the locals.

These guys are always having a good time and usually have some very hot chicas teaching...

http://summersoulsurfcamp.com/

anywhere in the carribean?

One option that hasn't been mentioned is Itacare in NE Brazil. I spent 3 weeks learning (or at least trying to) there in october 2008 with these guys:

http://www.easydrop.com

and would recommend it. Beautiful beaches, warm water, not crowded at all, great waves for beginners, great instructors and they do video analysis every day which was helpful.

As has been mentioned, it's alot harder to pick up than either skiing or snowboarding. After 3 weeks I was still not catching or bailing while popping up on most waves, hadn't even thought about turning. Having said that I sucked compared to some of the other beginners. It's a lot of fun though and if nothing else paddling will get you fit!

oh and first post, jong etc.

I've been thinking along the same lines...I'm already a stud in the snow, and water is just melted snow..so...

Pescadero Surf Camp (N of Cabo near Todos Santos) looks interesting. Anyone been there? Best time of year?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    I've been thinking along the same lines...I'm already a stud in the snow, and water is just melted snow..so...

Pescadero Surf Camp (N of Cabo near Todos Santos) looks interesting. Anyone been there? Best time of year?
    I get down to Cerritos on occasion to pretend to surf but mostly loaf in a palapa and consume tacos and beer. I've been in all seasons and thought February / March / April was probably my favorite timeframe. August was also good. Haven't been to the surf camp but people I've met who have stayed there give it high marks.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

portland

if one were to find one's self around portland,OR towards the end of may, where might one go to find some gaper waves? i assume one would need a wetsuit that time of year? board rentals? help?

Quote Originally Posted by nateski View Post
    if one were to find one's self around portland,OR towards the end of may, where might one go to find some gaper waves? i assume one would need a wetsuit that time of year? board rentals? help?
    Cannon Beach is Portland's gaper mecca central. Everything you'll need is there with plenty of shops renting boards and wetties and lessons. Pretty quaint little town too along with Manzanita to the south. Short Sands Beach is in between the two and where EVERYBODY learning goes to because its a more wind protected bay. Indian Head(Cannon Beach) is where they surf in the movie "Twilight", nice for a drive but not to learn to surf.

Do yourself a favor and take a lesson. At the very least they will take you to best spot depending on conditions...hopefully. Don't know what a good school would be. Cannon Beach Surf offers everything.

If you have the time and your girl is with you, Pacific City (Cape Kiwanda) is a nice spot to check out.

Go straight to Seaside. Give it yer best shot.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Hugh Conway Guest
    In Portland Gorge Performance http://www.gorgeperformance.com/ rents stuff. The Cannon beach places had tweaker hours

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    Seaside wasn't in Twilight man.

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    after six years of surfing, and avoiding Seaside like the plague...I finally surfed there on Saturday last weekend. Happened to be in Oregon getting a board repaired by its shaper (Rob Russo...cannot recommend this fella highly enough...great custom boards, great prices, repaired it while i waited and was outta his shop in less than a hour) anyways... the south wind was f-ing up all the usual spots i go to, but Seaside was looking passable... no vibing while in the water, but dear sweet lord I got a bunch of stink-eye from folks as I was drying off back at my car (with Washington plates).... stink-eye on a shitty, rainy, windy day when theres only ten people in the line-up just cause i'm an out-of-stater.... guess i should be glad my tires didn't get slashed, right? love surfing, hate the vibing b.s.

HEY NATESKI YOU STILL BEATIN AROUND THE BUSH OR DID YOU FINALLY GIVE IT A SHOT?

IF NOT ID RECOMMEND WAIKIKI FROM THIS TIME OF YEAR TIL WHEN THE SOUTH SWELL SEASON ENDS, ABOUT MID OCT OR SO. THE BEGINNER WAVES AND LESSONS AND RENTALS ARE THERE FOR YOU, YOU ELIMINATE THE WETSUIT FACTOR, NO HASSLES GETTIN INTO A FOREIGN COUNTRY, AND THERES PLENTY THERE FOR THE REST OF THE FAMILY IF THERE GOING

Quote Originally Posted by Bud View Post
    after six years of surfing, and avoiding Seaside like the plague...I finally surfed there on Saturday last weekend. Happened to be in Oregon getting a board repaired by its shaper (Rob Russo...cannot recommend this fella highly enough...great custom boards, great prices, repaired it while i waited and was outta his shop in less than a hour) anyways... the south wind was f-ing up all the usual spots i go to, but Seaside was looking passable... no vibing while in the water, but dear sweet lord I got a bunch of stink-eye from folks as I was drying off back at my car (with Washington plates).... stink-eye on a shitty, rainy, windy day when theres only ten people in the line-up just cause i'm an out-of-stater.... guess i should be glad my tires didn't get slashed, right? love surfing, hate the vibing b.s.

LMAO @ SEASIDE "TOUGH GUYS" I GREW UP SURFING WITH A LOT BIGGER A-HOLES THEN THAT. DONT LET THEM VIBE YOU MAN, ALOT OF THEM AINT EVEN FROM THERE ANYWAY. WHEN I WAS STATIONED IN SEATTLE I SURFED THERE EVERY CHANCE I GOT

THE KEY IS DONT PLAY THE GAME DONT BE LIKE THEM, BE RESPECTFUL IN EVERY WAY, BUT RESPOND IF YOU MUST, AND YOULL GET YOUR WAVES

Quote Originally Posted by COUSINELVIS View Post
    HEY NATESKI YOU STILL BEATIN AROUND THE BUSH OR DID YOU FINALLY GIVE IT A SHOT?

IF NOT ID RECOMMEND WAIKIKI FROM THIS TIME OF YEAR TIL WHEN THE SOUTH SWELL SEASON ENDS, ABOUT MID OCT OR SO. THE BEGINNER WAVES AND LESSONS AND RENTALS ARE THERE FOR YOU, YOU ELIMINATE THE WETSUIT FACTOR, NO HASSLES GETTIN INTO A FOREIGN COUNTRY, AND THERES PLENTY THERE FOR THE REST OF THE FAMILY IF THERE GOING
    still beating around the bush, like the beater i am. havent really left montana in WAY too long. i'm trying to lay off the mj (among other measures) to save some money, and go somewhere this fall. octoberish. im thinking hawaii is pretty pricey?? had some friends go to nicaragua recently, that definitely interests me. i guess i have a coupel friends that will be living in hawaii, so maybe it wouldnt be that bad. i kind of liek the hassle of foreign travel, though. i can work on my abysmal spanish

I really like the PNW in fall. But if your just learning going somewhere warm, I think, is a better idea. Save the cold water surfing til your comfortable in the ocean. If you don't feel like leaving the states, the Atlantic coast (NJ, North Carolina, etc...) can be pretty fun in the fall too and has warm water through september. Have fun!

well. going to poipu beach on kauai for my bros wedding. gonna try and gape it up on a board a couple days. any last minute tips? i figure if i just say brah a lot i should be fine
    "he doesn't know to behold what the cold frost can do..."

Start swimming everyday. I grew up around the water and skied/snowboarded/windsurfed my entire life, so I was comfortable on a sliding platform in the water but my arm felt like they were going to fall off.

have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by nateski View Post
    well. going to poipu beach on kauai for my bros wedding. gonna try and gape it up on a board a couple days. any last minute tips? i figure if i just say brah a lot i should be fine
    honestly, if you only have a few days, and this is kind of lame too. Pay for someone to push you, its your first time (i just had my first time on a 14 day surf bender, so i had time to fail(flail) on my own) and you'll have more fun because you will catch A LOT more waves. Other than that, just have fun!!!

Haven't personally been to Kauai but roll low key as I'm sure you will. You should be good at the resort beaches but its not usually an open invite to surf over there, especially if you're haole. I've had some of my best surf sessions on the North shore of Oahu but you definitely feel the vibe every once in a while. But that's pretty much every lineup no matter where you are surfing, so basically have fun and apoologize if you get in anyones way while kooking out, thats what I do