Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where the Wild Things Are.

Looks pretty awesome, apparently the release version is a toned down, more kid friendly version. I'd like to think this is a movie made for adults who read the book growing up, not kids reading it now. Some of the scenes look pretty demented.

This one looks even better...
    (watch the real one first tho)

Last edited by JayPowHound; 09-29-2009 at 05:26 PM.

OK, that's funny.

so is that film based on this beloved children's book:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Everyone-Poops-My-Body-Science/dp/0916291456"]Amazon.com: Everyone Poops (My Body Science) (9780916291457): Taro Gomi: Books[/ame]

and will they be making The Gas We Pass: The Story Of Farts and Everyone Has Boobs into films, as well?
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

This book has been in our bed-time rotation for our kids for almost 4 years.

I remembered it from my childhood - and when I heard spike was gonna do it, I had high hopes. I accidentally saw one trailer for it at another film - but I'm trying to go in blind - with high hopes.

Im going to see it completely blown. Should be amazing beyond words
    I gots the jacket with the blue fox fur

apparently he was working on "Harold and the purple crayon" for a year or so, and then the studio shut him down because he was making it too awesome and anti-mainsteam-sugarcoated-overprocessed etc. seriously. theres a video i'm pretty sure is a fake for Harold and the purple crayon on youtube, but here's a legitimate article about where the wild things are.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/06/ma...pagewanted=all
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=932&dateline=12042516  96

Looking forward to the Terry Gilliam version of "Goodnight Moon."

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Looking forward to the Terry Gilliam version of "Goodnight Moon."
    That one is in the book rotation too.

i dislike Goodnight Moon (dislike because hate is too strong a word)
    and i'm getting a little tired of the Eric Carle/Bill Martin "brown bear" type books after two kids that's for sure...

the classics are still the best
    dr seuss
    maurice sendak

we will be in line for WTWTA, probaly the first weekend...
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    i dislike Goodnight Moon (dislike because hate is too strong a word)
    and i'm getting a little tired of the Eric Carle/Bill Martin "brown bear" type books after two kids that's for sure...

the classics are still the best
    dr seuss
    maurice sendak

we will be in line for WTWTA, probaly the first weekend...
    my kids love:
    "oh, the places you'll go"
    "the cat in the hat"
    "where the side walk ends"

My son who turns 4 in November likes the charlie and lola books too.

Agreed though, Goodnight Moon is one of my least favorites.

I hate the little lady saying "Hush." Who the fuck does she think she is? And since when can Rabbits talk?

There better be some drugs in the movie.

I hate the little lady saying "Hush." Who the fuck does she think she is? And since when can Rabbits talk?

There better be some drugs in the movie.
    "Good night nobody", how fucking LAZY.

What? No love the The Lorax? Fuckin' commies.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    What? No love the The Lorax? Fuckin' commies.
    BEST.........

SEUSS..........

EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let the Wild Rumpus begin!

Quote Originally Posted by karpiel View Post
    Looks pretty awesome, apparently the release version is a toned down, more kid friendly version.
    Wait, so is there going to be another version that is not toned down, or are you just saying the director's vision got sanitized?

If there is another version coming out soon that is more like a directors cut or something, I think I'll skip seeing it in theaters.

On another note, anyone ever read The Wreck of The Zephyr as a kid? That could be an awesome movie.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Bump.

I think I'm going to go see this tonight? Anyone else going to go see it?

Let the Wild Rumpus begin!
    I 2nd. Great line.

I'm going to check out this film tonight. Loved the book as a child. I hope to be inspired enough to figure out a way I can be a wild thing for Halloween.

i don't know the book. many people will -hate- wild things, find it boring, or find it painfully pretentious.. and its definitely not a kids movie. i'm a big spike jonze fan and i really enjoyed it though its not the most riveting film. gandolfini's voice was a bit of a distraction though, i kept thinking of tony soprano. the new wes anderson movie looks awesome.

saw it on Tuesday.
    gonna be interested to hear what y'all think about it.

as a critic buddy of mine commented: "Loved the Spike Jonze parts, the Dave Eggers parts, not so much".

There's a lot of unnecessary exposition in the film and the Wild Things are kind of turned into a dysfunctional "family" of kvetching Jewish caricatures with names like Ira and Carol (if i recall, the monsters in the book didn't have names). I read somewhere that the author, Maurice Sendak, has said the monters were inspired by his relatives (he is Jewish, btw), but it seems a bit in poor taste on Jonze and Eggers' part to turn the monsters into these stereotypical, nebbish, insecure characters (it's like a giant conglomeration of Woody Allens in monster costumes).

If you stripped away the caricatures and cut the film down to 30 minutes, tops, I think it would have made for a compelling short film, but turning a really short children's book (it only has 10 sentences!) into a 2 hour movie might have been a bit of a stretch.

I have really fond memories of the book from being a kid. What I remember loving about the book is that you filled in the gaps, you know, if your parents were reading it to you, you came up with images and additional action that complimented with Maurice Sendak had in the book. Spike and Eggers filled in different gaps than me.

i totally agree with Grape in that this is not a kids movie. i can see kids getting bored at about the 40 minute mark.

to their credit, though, the giant Henson created muppets are cool and the kid who plays Max is pretty solid (one of the least precocious child actors to hit the screen in a long time).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Just saw it in Park City. Super Deeeeeeep! Lots of complex and thought provoking issues presented. Not a "kid's movie", although they still would enjoy sitting through it. The movie poster says it all "There's a Wild Thing in all of us". It true, the monsters portray several "types" of people that we all can identify with. You may even see yourself. It's too slow, even for someone like me who has an emotional attachment to the book. See it once. The big screen (and sound) was powerful.

Saw it last night, and I'm still not sure about it. I remember sitting for hours as a kid just looking at the images and filling in the gaps, like Dookey said, and I was hoping the movie would suck you in and give you that same feeling. You know, letting the visuals provoke your imagination. The visuals were there, but I just kept getting distracted by gandolfini, or the weird family dynamic of the monsters or some other minor things.

Despite those distractions, I stilled enjoyed the film and I'm happy I saw it in the theaters. Jonze definitely nailed some of the best scenes from the book.

Took my boys to see it on Friday. They hated it, I loved it. To me, it really captured the feeling of being a kid who's scared to find himself out of control. Maybe that's why the boys didn't like it.
    not counting days 2016-17

to be true to the book it could have been done in half an hour (and after seeing it this weekend it probably should have been)
    my kids will remember the monster parts for sure but the whole personification of the monsters was lost on them and not what i was looking for thats for sure
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca