Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracks Game

Can we get some sort of points system? And here was my other idea in the realm of scrolling movement. What if you were to have a small picture (polaroid style) of the mountain in the upper corner as a key. Then you actually have to line up your jumps in the scrolling window you're skiing in. It would be pretty cool if it was possible to make some of the open bowls prone to avalanches.

how hard is it to turn a photo into the game environment? like, if we took a picture:

could we make that the game? that'd be cool, you could take your local place and play the areas you suck at in real life.
    fine

Quote Originally Posted by tuffy109
    how hard is it to turn a photo into the game environment? like, if we took a picture:

could we make that the game? that'd be cool, you could take your local place and play the areas you suck at in real life.
    It's possible, but pretty tough... The problem is that with so many small details, you would need boat loads of collision detection blocks, and that could slow down the game somewhat. Having said that, I'm not one for not trying... Maybe this afternoon I'll see what I can do with photos...

edg

I was just thinking that a points system would allow competition. Against your friends and against your own high score. style points dont really matter. mainly because everyone is doing the same mute grab lincoln anyways. Award points on how many airs are hit, distance, rotations (w/grab gets more points, you could also integrate style points into how long you hold the grab for. It seems like you can get more rotations in if you're not grabbing, so that's already integrated) and how fast you can make it to the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by edg
    It's possible, but pretty tough... The problem is that with so many small details, you would need boat loads of collision detection blocks, and that could slow down the game somewhat. Having said that, I'm not one for not trying... Maybe this afternoon I'll see what I can do with photos...

edg
    just a thought: does the game have to see what you see? why not make a level that fairly closely resembles an image, then overlay the image for the user's benefit much the way a website that wants you to click on your state uses simple geometric shapes for the areas but overlays a real map. this should take the load off the computer and fancy collision detection.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

i dont want apoints system, woudl kind of ruin it
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=932&dateline=12042516  96

Quote Originally Posted by lax
    i dont want apoints system, woudl kind of ruin it
    points would rule.

edit: can anyone land this?
    Last edited by tuffy109; 10-12-2004 at 03:39 PM.
    fine

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    just a thought: does the game have to see what you see? why not make a level that fairly closely resembles an image, then overlay the image for the user's benefit much the way a website that wants you to click on your state uses simple geometric shapes for the areas but overlays a real map. this should take the load off the computer and fancy collision detection.
    That's essentially the way it's done at the moment - the shapes in the background are just shapes, but there are little invisible 'sentries' which check for collision (As flash has a ridiculous built in system in which you can have complex shapes, but the collision detection is performed on a rectangular bounding box)

Don't know if this is really a points sort of game... :-\ I'm not really sure how they would be allocated anyway (I think the idea of many games of giving points for quantity [e.g. the more you spin the better] over actually visually impressive tricks [sometimes a nice floaty safety grab is better than a corked 1080 mute misty backflip with lemon...]), but maybe...

Anyway, will work on the pictures and also some sort of scrolling (using which you could have a hi-res picture in which you would be 'zoomed' so you could roam about). Also click-to-drop off (You click on a point [when you can drop off] and that's where you start).

Not 'till Thursday I think, though, as I'm going wakeboarding tomorrow afternoon (Total n00b... dunno how well it'll pan out) and will probably have some work to do. But I'll try!

edg

My vote's for no points, no balance, no grabs.

Keep it simple - it's just a flash game. All this PS2-sounding crap is not very realistic to expect, IMHO.

It would be cool, and relatively easy (?), to make dual-axis spins, and to build in speed modifiers associated with steepness.

Example - an area that bottlenecks between two cliffs should speed you up.

It's also be cool if you could land switch (all the cool kids are doing it), and if you could smear a turn on a spine ala Mcschlonk circa focused. Those seem do-able program-wise.

We owe edg six thousand beers.

Quote Originally Posted by optics
    We owe edg six thousand beers.
    Give or take a couple
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

EDG, I just got back home after a week or so in the mountains. I will get working on some new levels and graphics for this game, nice work thus far.

I ws in Teton Village for a few and stopped by the TGR office, Nice to meet the guys who were around, Tate, todd, Schroder, etc., Anyway I walk in and Todd take me on a tour of the place, on we go into the editing room, and what do I see, this game in all of its glory on the monster theatre display monitors used for editing. I got some great ideas from the guys for graphics as well as most of the ideas that have been mentioned here.

As far as photos go, I will integrate any photos that you want into a vector format to make the game easier to put into place with photos.

Later.

INDY

"...its glory on the monster theatre display monitors used for editing." I feel honored to play "Tracks" on it everyday. it would be dope if the game took up both screens.

Couldn't snap a piccie for my enjoyment, could ya? Can't wait to implement new levels, Indy. Optics, prob get yours finished some time tonight.

edg

sorry, no pic, I forgot my camera in the car. It was priceless, when Todd told me that you had created something that brought the tgr office to its knees.

Second star to the right and straight on till morning
    Hey edg: switch landings? That could be a Pep/CR character or something... That would involve variable spins (holding down the arrow longer makes you spin longer), which I'm not sure is what was agreed on, but I think that would be very cool.

And you need compensation. Or to do this for a career. This game is TIZZIGHT (err really cool). Can't wait to see the improvements. Post a linky when/if ya get the next level done.
    Days on snow 06-07: 3
    Days behind a boat summer 2006: 24

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

i was thinking about doing a track TGR similar to how we do it for our film trips. No CR or PEP, it'll have to be Marc Andre. (TGR only) besides, marc andre stomps more switch landings in pow and off cliffs than anyone. <---(thats a period) You could give him a mustache and and really shaggy hair too.

The links on page 6 of this post aren't working for me. I get a "403 Forbidden" message.
    It's heartbreaking to see a chick who's too anorexic.

My wonderful host is doing '5 minutes of maintenance' Should be back soon.

Tate, could you elaborate a tad... bit of a cryptic post (for me at least!)

edg

Sure CR is CR Johnson, PEP is Pep Fujas. and <--- was my way of pointing out that there's a period. i.e. Marc Andre is the best at landing switch, period. Hope that helps.

Bumpin' cause it's been cool to see the progression of this game. Props to edg.

Sick and ashamed and happy (and been back to lovin' the gladed run (high speed turns through the trees is where it's at)),
    d.

Second star to the right and straight on till morning
    Quote Originally Posted by HotTate
    Sure CR is CR Johnson, PEP is Pep Fujas. and <--- was my way of pointing out that there's a period. i.e. Marc Andre is the best at landing switch, period. Hope that helps.
    I agree, Tate. Can't believe I forgot him... Anyway, what's the feasibility rating on switch pow landings, edg? Possible?
    Days on snow 06-07: 3
    Days behind a boat summer 2006: 24

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Gosey
    I agree, Tate. Can't believe I forgot him... Anyway, what's the feasibility rating on switch pow landings, edg? Possible?
    Possible, possible... Don't know how I would distinguish it graphically, though...

edg

I AM A BAD MAN:
    It's idomatic, beatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio
    I AM A BAD MAN:
    Dude! I've been trying that one forever! Nice action.

Sick and ashamed and happy (and didn't notice at first that it was multiple stager),
    d.

The sickest line ever!!!

No one has ever done as sick a line as me. I wish i knew how to take a screenshot! Can anyone tell me how? If anyone beats my line, they can have $5 through paypal!