Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    words can not describe how jealous i am of you. that looked like such an amazing trip.

one day i hope to be able to accomplish something of that magnitude.

^^^^ Agreed!
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

This is awesome! Amazing trip. The logistics of planning that must have been unreal.

Inspiring for sure! Amazing photos!!!
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers

stellar effort!!

i really like how casual the adventure appeared, yet i'm sure it took a mountains worth of motivation to keep on truckin'
    o--/\
    --/(. \
    -/ .) ' \ go with respect, get to know your mountains
    /' (. ' |'\
    ' ' .) ' ,'

Fuck me.

Well played,sirs...
    So local it hurts...

Gnarwhale. Does. Not. Fuck. Around.

Favorite TR ever by my favorite Username/Avatar.

WELL PLAYED!

Oh...and saw off that scattergun, boy! Coulda saved a few pounds right there!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Trackhead summed it up best. Gives new meaning to the word "unbelievable."
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Thanks for all the nice words guys.

Trackhead: The initial line drawn on the map was by a friend who wasnt able to come on the trip. Well over a year ago, Amir showed Adam his idea of traversing the south half of the park and the idea caught Adam's interest and he shared the idea with Joe, Cisco and I. Since then the route was refined and redrawn a number of times based on advice from all sort of helpful people, though the spirit of the traverse stayed the same.

MakersTele: No dice catching fish. I had visions of 30lb salmon hurling themselves into the boat- it's the Copper River, right?- but not so. We did pull out to fish a few clear water streams, but there arent many. Otherwise the water is so opaque that the only strategy for fishing with a hook is to hope you snag a fish as it blindly swims upstream. And so I found my interest in fishing from the raft was very limited.

The locals fish using fish wheels- and that's not sport at all, just protein collection- or using dip nets. Just below Chitina we passed a few dip netters clipped to anchor ropes and perched on rocky outcrops above eddies in narrow parts of the river. They stand there until they feel the jolt of a salmon hitting the back of the net then have just split second to flip the long akward thing around before the fish swims out.

wow. very cool trip and very cool pictures. thanks for posting that.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Well I suppose that's it for ever posting a hiking TR again. Pretty much the ideal hiking tr there is. Thank you for posting that. Thank you so very much.
    I'm going to read that constantly over the next few years.

cant be said too often: really great trip. very very nice pictures.
    you can feel the beauty and emptiness of the area through this tr...

freak~[&]
    Last edited by freak; 09-25-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Meadow Skipper- yeah a Pilatus Porter. Good eye on the plane geekery.

The Reverend: Thanks. And Cisco's dad would've been pissed with any custom modification. Prior to him loaning it, I was debating the purchase of a defender. We didnt carry any firearms, just bear spray, while hiking anyway.

Cash Money.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

That was simply amazing.
    Shameless spam: Trip reports and Gear reviews and if you want to support what I do follow me on Instagram @KyleMiller411

FKNA!!! TR of the year. I'll be going through that one a couple more times just to grasp all that it encompassed.

Just simply balls out exploring. Great willpower to plan and pull that off. Still in shock to what I just saw. And the pictures, man, just amazing.

Would love to hear all about it someday this winter on a DP up broad's or hogum.

Looks like a pretty cool crew to roll for a month through the wild in a small tent and still have a good time with each other. Damn boyee, that was sick!

Great adventure stuff, where are you going next summer?

outstanding Sir Gnarwhale. The finest adventure I've ever seen here. thanks for sharing
    On first

That was so awesome. How do you build up to a trip like that? Seriously, friends and I have done mountaineering trips, hiked the AT and PCT, and I am sure we'd all back off from a trip so ambitious.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Wow, that was incredible! I have so many questions for you, but I'll keep it to just a couple... How long have you guys known each other? Had you done any major trips together before? On a trip that long and difficult there musta been some tense moments among the group...

What's your background? NOLS, etc? Have you ever done any major trips like this before?

Again, simply amazing journey. Congrats for getting it done!!

That was awesome... goosebumps... Thanks for sharing your adventures w/ us all.

to get on the question-asking bandwagon... what did you guys bring in case the shit hit the fan? i'm assuming you had a first aid kit, but did you bring a sat phone or a sea-air radio? and also, how much did getting flown in and resupplied cost you?

edit: was there any evidence of bears trying to get into the kegs? we didn't carry any when i was in the alaska range this summer and luckily didn't end up having to fast at all.
    Last edited by grubbers; 09-25-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Outfuckingstanding! One of the best I've seen on here for sure, truely an epic adventure. I'm going to have to go back and look through that a few more times.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Absolutely unreal. Stunning views, and an unbelievable undertaking. I've been lurking for awhile... And this was probably my favorite TR.

Like many others... I hope I get my shit together enough one day to do something similar, but likely of lesser magnitude.

Grubbers has some good questions, and I'm wondering the same thing. Mainly the resupply costs.

Again... Awesome.

Thanks.

That was like sitting down and reading the best adventure mag ever. inspiring gnarwhale. so cool. thanks.