Page 192 of 235 FirstFirst ... 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 ... LastLast
Results 4,776 to 4,800 of 5859
    That X-wing is fucking crazy. How is it to ski?

You probably have the biggest quiver of hard charging old school skis out there, so sick!

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Spring cleaning time again. And with the season cut short, everybody’s home in March for the first time ever.

Attachment 322252

L to R:
    196 Hart Wizard, early retirement.
    190 Kneissl Tanker: I skied these a bunch this year, became my new dust on crust ski.
    194 Kastle MX98: fuck they’re good.
    188 Stockli Scot Schmidt Pro: groomer zoomer. These are still in great shape but are getting clapped out. Sad face. Got another pair. Happy face.
    192 Cochise: crud buster.
    192 Stormrider TT: mount is way too jibby for me; I tried. Moving it back a couple cm for next year.
    190 Legend Pro: rock ski. Second pair. Does it all like you did it ten years ago.
    192 Movement Super Turbo: these will likely be my pow skis till I die, because I so rarely have the need to ski them. Awesome ski though.
    188 SS Pro: backup.
    192 Stockli SR 95: will replace my DD as the MX98/Tanker/SS Pros wear out.
    185 Armada Invictus 95ti: family fun day ski. Great all around frontside ski, but real turny for my tastes.
    188 Stockli Laser Cross Pro: GS ski
    165 Atomic SL11: zick-zack
    192 Elan 777: loaner.
    The wife’s skis:
    165 BD Velvet: she loves these things, won’t give them up.
    158 Volkl Queen Attiva: smells like hippies.
    167 Atomic Affinity
    162 Rossi Saffron (sky) 7: wife weighs 100 lbs, these float her just fine.
    Longboards:
    210 Atomic SG:11: makes me wish we still had town DH around here. Bastards.
    222 Elan RC DH: Way lighter and more responsive than most in this length, but I’m in the parking lot by the time I finish a turn. So fun.
    Couple of 210 Salomon SGs.

And everything in the shed came out for a sweep. I love having all this old crap around because it reminds me of some fun times. Whenever I have a home with a cathedral ceiling they’ll all go up over the T&G.

Attachment 322254

Some of these are still skiable, some are blown to shit. Took out the 193 Titan Pros last year for fun and they are still an amazing ski, punishing tail and all. The LP 105s are screwed together or I’d still ski them, but I’ll replace them in the fall with a shiny back pair.
    sick!!! Love the 194 MX98

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The Quiver Pic Rerun Thread

Zombli , where did you get that Volkl G4 Vertigo? Was it a cheap acquisition by chance?

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    The 198 g4 I picked up outside the Albuquerque ski swap along with the blue moon big daddy’s for not a whole lot. They had a mangled edge that I fixed and then promptly mangled again, so they didn’t get a ton of miles from me. They had fritschis on them, were they yours?

The X-Wing LAB I picked up on the board because they were cheap and I wanted a monster truck. But I never really got along with the “overly long, massive turn radius, noodley flex” vibe of the whole ski, wished it was stiffer to go along with the shape and length. It was a lot like the first gen 195 Kastle bmx 108: unless you’re blasting long, wide open pow faces, a shorter length would make a lot more sense. The x-wings were good in certain aspects, and floated well above their width, but for a ski that big I was bummed it wasn’t stouter to just smash through all of the damn things.

How was the Hart Wizard? I remember looking at that during Hart's clearance sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    How was the Hart Wizard? I remember looking at that during Hart's clearance sale.
    Good, the midsole mark was waaaaaaaayyy the fuck forward on it. I actually won those in a Facebook contest of all things, they were giving away a pair of whatever you want and I already had the fuelie boss, so figured I’d just get the biggest damn thing they made. Called hart to ask about the mount point after a couple days and they were super helpful, ended up moving it ~4cm back, iirc. Still felt forward for me. But the balance and the flex were good (pretty sure it’s a liberty double helix core, same factory), basically flat camber with just a touch of early rise fore and aft. Pretty light for 196/115mm, easy in the trees for a ski that size. If I ski them again I will probably bump the mount back another cm. Ultimately they don’t do anything the super turbos don’t do better so they’re sidelined. Now I want to ski them again just to see what they do.

Hell yeah! Out of service quiver. Luv it. I've got a garage full myself. GF says me collecting skis is my cocaine.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    GF says me collecting skis is my cocaine.
    Showing off a pile of skis is healthier, but far less likely to get you laid, IME.

I actually won those in a Facebook contest of all things, they were giving away a pair of whatever you want and I already had the fuelie boss, so figured I’d just get the biggest damn thing they made.
    You're on Facebook? Great looking spread, looks like a nice day to spread them out. Good catch-up the ether day.

Quote Originally Posted by cstefanic View Post
    Attachment 321764

R to L
    177 Nordica Enforcer 93 w/Jester inserts
    185 Renoun Citadel 106 w/Jester and Radical inserts
    181 Skevik Loken 106 w/F12 inserts
    177 Volkl Katana w/Jester inserts
    184 Black Crows Atris w/AXLs
    181 Praxis GPO w/Pivot 14s
    189 DPS Lotus 120 w/Jester inserts (anyone want to trade for 179s?)
    185 Skevik Oda w/Jester inserts
    17X SnowShark mono ski w/Solly demos
    181 Teleboard Legend w/22Designs Vice
    Casually slip the Sierra Nevada topsheet GPOs in there. Nice

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Showing off a pile of skis is healthier, but far less likely to get you laid, IME.
    Not incorrect...

The 198 g4 I picked up outside the Albuquerque ski swap along with the blue moon big daddy’s for not a whole lot. They had a mangled edge that I fixed and then promptly mangled again, so they didn’t get a ton of miles from me. They had fritschis on them, were they yours?
    No. I had that ski in 188 mysteriously disappear between Volkl’s shipping dock and me. It was a warranty replacement. I always figured somebody hid it and sold it.

That vertigo series was the hot shit back then.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    No. I had that ski in 188 mysteriously disappear between Volkl’s shipping dock and me. It was a warranty replacement. I always figured somebody hid it and sold it.

That vertigo series was the hot shit back then.
    That suuuucks. They were making some great skis back then; I put about a zillion days on the G40s pictured there. Those things did absolutely everything well. G41s, G4s, then they went and fucked it all up with the 724 series. Talk about underwhelming.

Being as Volkl couldn't account for the ski, the ended up sending me an OG Gotama "they had laying around." That thing arrived and I was bummed like-- Goddamnit. A fucking clown shoe. (Major props to Volkl's warranty, though.)

Then I moved to Japan 6mo's later and put the Buddha's in their environment and fell in love. Still have them. Skied them this winter with my 3yo.

current quiver

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	current-quiver.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	322549

180cm G3 Manhattan w/BD 02s, for my occasional resort day / rock skis
    177cm Movement Response-X w/Ski Trab Gara Titans, fast & light powder skis, racing, big days, when I am very tired
    180cm Black Crows Solis w/ATK Trofeo Plus 10, new daily driver touring skis. I got them thinking they'd be a couloir and junk snow ski but they're ridiculously fun to go fast in pow with so they've quickly become the DD.

Boots not pictured but Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pros stock.

Name:	IMG_7035.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	322752

Can't ski them so might as well look at them.

181cm Kastle FX85 w/Tyrolia Attack2 13
    181cm Icelantic Nomad RKR w/Rossi FKS 120
    184cm Atomic Bent Chetler 120 - will be mounting shifts on these.

Boots not pictured, but Salomon S/Max and Tecnica Zero G Tour.

Love those bentchetler graphics!

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    You're on Facebook? Great looking spread, looks like a nice day to spread them out. Good catch-up the ether day.
    Ha, was. My millenial wife was trying to make me relevant. I did not need to know what my girlfriend from summer camp when I was 12 is doing with her life. Got a free pair of skis out of it, I'm not bitter.

I'll shoot you an email this week, you owe me a couple of stories.

Name:	IMG_2998.JPG 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	322810

196cm 4Frnt Renegades (122mm)
    193cm Black Crows Corvus (107mm)
    190cm Salomon Q Lab (109mm)
    187cm 4Frnt MSP99 (99mm)

Looks good on paper and lined up on my wall like that, but the only 2 I love are the Renegades and the Q Labs, and I rarely get to ski the Renegades these days (they need steep soft snow) and the Q Labs are pretty tired and are generally relegated to low tide situations.

I just pulled bindings off my OG 186 Renegades, and am torn between getting a pair of bindings for them for trees/bushwacking in fresh snow or turning them into wall art. In either case, it was a very sad day.

The Corvus and MSP are too new to me to really have a verdict.
    focus.

That Look Binding on the QLab looks quite old. Since the back of the binding has not changed for decades, the front toe is truly old. May I ask: Any issues? Does it still work safely? I am asking because I have the same binding sitting unused on my workbench - I am not sure if this toe is safe to ski on. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post

Name:	IMG_2998.JPG 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	322810

196cm 4Frnt Renegades (122mm)
    193cm Black Crows Corvus (107mm)
    190cm Salomon Q Lab (109mm)
    187cm 4Frnt MSP99 (99mm)

Looks good on paper and lined up on my wall like that, but the only 2 I love are the Renegades and the Q Labs, and I rarely get to ski the Renegades these days (they need steep soft snow) and the Q Labs are pretty tired and are generally relegated to low tide situations.

I just pulled bindings off my OG 186 Renegades, and am torn between getting a pair of bindings for them for trees/bushwacking in fresh snow or turning them into wall art. In either case, it was a very sad day.

The Corvus and MSP are too new to me to really have a verdict.
    What’s the A/B between the Corvus and Q Lab? Everyone raves about black crows and I’ve yet to ski any.

What’s the A/B between the Corvus and Q Lab? Everyone raves about black crows and I’ve yet to ski any.
    Based on your preferences I would steer clear.

The q lab is a front of the boots, early rise, cambered, heavy charger that carves medium radius turns very well in most conditions. It’s not particularly great in pow. I’d say it lends itself to skiers with a race background.

The Corvus pivots quickly but doesn’t respond to any amount of forward pressure (full reverse). It’s so stiff and light it gets knocked around in anything but corduroy and pow. Ski it from your heels and throw your shoulders into it, it’ll come right around. I fucking hate it. The fanbois will be right along to tell you how great it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    The Corvus pivots quickly but doesn’t respond to any amount of forward pressure (full reverse). It’s so stiff and light it gets knocked around in anything but corduroy and pow. Ski it from your heels and throw your shoulders into it, it’ll come right around. I fucking hate it. The fanbois will be right along to tell you how great it is.
    I never skied this ski and have no skin in this game but this is an outstanding paragraph review imo, no sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by obi wan kenobi View Post
    That Look Binding on the QLab looks quite old. Since the back of the binding has not changed for decades, the front toe is truly old. May I ask: Any issues? Does it still work safely? I am asking because I have the same binding sitting unused on my workbench - I am not sure if this toe is safe to ski on. Thanks.
    Can’t speak to safety. Been skiing them for the last decade or so. I think it’s circa ‘96? They release when they need to. Don’t when they don’t. Same internals as current toe, just different housing. Gets lots of comments.

If you don’t want to mount them up I’ll be happy to take them off your hands.

Haven’t done a great A/B yet. The tip is quite different. Smaller and stiffer on the corvus. Most of my initial impressions are around that. So, steep heavy loose snow is better with the corvus because it doesn’t get as hung up, while picking your way down steep bumpy trees is easier with the Q Lab, because the tips will reliable engage and pull you into a cleaner turn without forcing the issue. Fast smeary turns work better on the corvus. While the corvus is better at speed (and my labs might have lost a bit of their backbone), they require a lot more steering to tighten up carves, especially that outside ski, which I left behind a few times when I wasn’t paying attention; again, because the tip doesn’t want to engage and pull you in.

I’m not a big guy, and in tight spots they’ve been a bit of a handful due to length and stiffness; though they do pivot easy enough, as noted. We’ll see if I can solve that when I figure them out.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Based on your preferences I would steer clear.

The q lab is a front of the boots, early rise, cambered, heavy charger that carves medium radius turns very well in most conditions. It’s not particularly great in pow. I’d say it lends itself to skiers with a race background.

My experience doesn’t disagree with any of that, but again, haven’t put enough time on to settle on any of it either. It often takes me a while to really figure out a pair of skis, so I’m not as quick to judgment. Agreed, however, on the Q Lab. Love(d) that ski. Doesn’t quite have that lovin’ feeling anymore, though, and I need to find a new starter.

FWIW, my corvus do have just a bit of camber, and I’m not sure I’ve recently been on a pair of skis that hug the snow along as much of their length as the corvus.
    focus.

Jackattack’s got me to a T. I really liked the Q lab, great feel all around, but the 20m radius was just too turny for me. Went with the carbon tip Cochise and couldn’t be happier, that ski and I get along well. Neither one are any good in actual pow but that’s not what they’re for.

I’m just continually surprised by the people that are drinking the kool aid on black crows, particularly the Corvus and Navis. But my ski life is pretty boring so, different tools for different objectives, I guess.

FWIW, for a ski that shouldn’t necessarily be my cup of tea, I was pretty impressed with the msp 99. I thought it had good versatility for the shape, definitely fun to ski.