Page 164 of 236 FirstFirst ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 ... LastLast
Results 4,076 to 4,100 of 5879
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I have the BMT 109s but can't compare them to the Heads or BDs.

What exactly do you want to learn about them? Start there and search.
    Did you try some other skis recently? How do they compare to the BMT 109?

The BMT 109 didn't get any update since 2014-15... so I'm wondering if it's price still worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Head shit sucks.

search JONG
    Didn't know Kim had his own ski brand

Quote Originally Posted by bPlaTyPuS View Post
    $900 is still a little expansive I think. I can find them for ~750$ (in Switzerland) but availability is very low (only few pairs left).

Still @750$, for a ski which didn't get any update since 2014-2015... I'm wondering if it still can compete with more recent skis. I checked the Blisters review on this ski but they did the review in 2015!

If anyone can tell me if this ski still worth it's price against more recent skis (which are also less expansive btw), I would be glad!
    I think the blizzard zero g 108 is better than the bmt 109.

I've skied the zero g 95 and 108, and the bmt 94 or whatever that width is. Blizzards win out in my opinion, and are plenty cheaper.

I have a brand new set of 185cm zero g 108 for $420 + shipping sitting around at work if anyone wants them.

Quote Originally Posted by bPlaTyPuS View Post
    Did you try some other skis recently? How do they compare to the BMT 109?

The BMT 109 didn't get any update since 2014-15... so I'm wondering if it's price still worth it.
    Longer answer cause I'm feeling jong-sympathetic:

I did not try any skis in the same weight class as the BMTs before buying. They are the newest skis in my stack by 5 years, but age isn't that relevant in selecting a ski as many other characteristics. I wavered pretty hard between these and the ZeroG 108 after reading as much as I could.

Ultimately I chose the Volkls because I thought they'd ski pow a little better than the Blizzards with their full low rocker, yet still be able to hold an edge on firm, and rip corn like a mutherfucker. But I was after a one-ski-quiver for all touring conditions, which is a moderate compromise. If I skied blower pow in the intermountain west, I'd choose something in the 120mm class... etc.

A good ski bud of mine rides the 109 inbounds frequently and is able to push them pretty hard in a variety of conditions relevant to my use, so I had confidence in them from a close, trusted perspective.

I find them to be more stable than their weight and carbon content would suggest. Tour super well, nice flat tail that never snags, very maneuverable yet able to set and ride a long edge (r26.5m) and good float. Light enough for 8000ft days at sub 2000g each mounted with SSL2's, but still skis like a real ski. Satisfied for a few more years probably.

Many more folks are on the Blizzards, likely due to the cost, and most seem to like them... but a few seem not to have connected with them as hoped. That also influenced my choice. Perhaps that is mostly driven by lack of attention to the tune.

Lastly, I was curious about trying a fully rockered ski for touring. And they are sexy AF.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    I think the blizzard zero g 108 is better than the bmt 109.

I've skied the zero g 95 and 108, and the bmt 94 or whatever that width is. Blizzards win out in my opinion, and are plenty cheaper.
    I hated the BMT until getting the edge detuned just so. Way too fucking sharp out of the plastic. Did you mess with this?

And I'm not sure I understand the utility of full rocker for a 94-waisted ski... the width class suggests use in firm conditions, where most folks are likely better suited with trad camber.

What conditions did you get them in?

Edit: maybe this thread shouldn't derail into a random review cluster. Let's keep it on track with the quiver pics maybe.

Thanks for your answer @Norseman, really appreciated!

The Quiver Pic Rerun Thread

Just added these gotta love super deals. Also thanks to Skifishbum for the remount

190 Igneous FFF

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54353411518__0A1B6D1B-38EB-4EF0-AD3A-FBBAD59EA499.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	229545
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

After years of excuses, denial, and lies... I finally confronted my addictions. I had a gear problem. Today I can say that I am a recovering gear whore. I still have a long way to go, and relapses still seem right around the corner. But I can finally say that I have a healthy quiver, and am no longer living a life that hurts my friends and family.

Behold, the perfect quiver:

180cm Line Pescado
    182cm OG SFB
    186cm ON3P Billy Goat tour/veneer
    186cm Skinny Billy
    183cm Stockli Stormrider 95
    178cm Nordica Navigator 80
    177cm Movement Alp Tracks 94

I still need to move the extra skis in my quiver, and put PX15s on the Stocklis and Billy Goats, but this is what I am keeping. I don't even think I can come up with excuses to buy another pair anymore, so I feel like the healing process has really taken hold in my life.

If anyone else feels that they need support or encouragement recovering from their own gear addiction, feel free to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    if those alp tracks 94s become too enabling for you, I would help you as a good samaritan to take them off your hands
    sadly they don't get the use they deserve, but don't hold out hope...

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    sadly they don't get the use they deserve, but don't hold out hope...
    Bring um with this spring when you visit

Name:	20180325_134154.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	229680

Name:	20180325_134619.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	229681

L to R
    184 Down Showdown 95, STH2 inserts
    182 Rossignol E100, Ross Maxflex WC 150
    180 Black Diamond Convert, Speed Radicals
    184 ON3P Wrenegade 108, STH2
    190 Salomon Q-lab, STH2 inserts
    190 Salomon Q-lab, undrilled backup pair
    190 Extrem Project 110, STH2 inserts
    185 Nordica Girish, STH2 inserts
    189 Down Countdown 114M, STH2 inserts
    192 Moment Jag Shark, STH2
    193 Völkl Confession, STH2 inserts
    191 Black Crows Sevun II, STH2
    190 Moment Bibby Pro, STH2 inserts

My East Coast quiver:

Name:	IMG_3433.JPG 
Views:	314 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	230727

186 Karhu Jak (soon to have Speed Radical inserts)
    184 Dynafit Denali with Radical FT 2.0 inserts
    185 Black Diamond Kilowatt with Radical FT 2.0 inserts
    185 G3 Highball with Pivot 18 and Radical FT 2.0 inserts
    184 Volkl Kendo with Pivot 14 inserts
    180 Dynastar Candide (soon to have Pivot 18 inserts)
    188 Black Diamond Megawatt with 997s

I’ll post my West Coast quiver sometime soon!

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	268.6 KB 
ID:	231797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	231798

The quiver shrunk over the winter as skis either died, or fell out of favor. Here is what I ended up with, and as you can see, really its 4 skis with a bunch of back ups and 3 unicorns.

Left to Right

194 Kastle MX 98 - red tip - BNIP waiting for next winter to break these babies out

194 Kastle MX 98 - raspberry tip - bought off here as back ups cause these are rare AF

194 Kastle MX 98 with white Look Pivot 18 - red tip - My go to every day inbounds ski. After a season and a half these are starting to get a little tired and probably will become my rock skis next winter, but maybe not.

193 Blizzard Scout with Marker Kingpin 13 - Touring ski to conquer it all. Sold my first pair, didn’t like anything I replaced them with so bought another pair. These will last a while

193 Volkl Shiro with holes for Marker Kingpin 13 - Deep powder touring ski. These are a little heavy, way to fat, and have too much rocker to be my every day touring ski, but can’t beat how easy they are in soft deep snow

195 Praxis Freerides with silver Look Pivot 18 - If you watch the Praxis ski thread, its been an interesting winter on these, very much the tail of two worlds. Early season I hated them, mid season I hated them, broke my inbounds pair of 193 Shiros and had to get these out. About a week ago it was a Sierra cement type of day and they kicked ass, have had them out almost every day since then. I’m still not 100% happy with them, but they are pretty dam good in pow.

202 Fischer Ranger 108s with green Look Pivot 18 - Probably the most versatile ski in the quiver and wont be going anywhere for a long time. These things rail if you give them space to run. Initially the length makes you wonder why they are only 110mm under foot (not 108 as advertised), but when you carve through powder the first time, it all makes sense. Steep, deep, fast, none of it matters, these just fly and ask for more. Favorite run of the winter was on these, first tracks done Pucker Face on Cody Bowl in Jackson Hole side country, 5 turns of steep face shots down 1000ft of perfect light powder.

203 cm Volkl Shiro with orange Rossignol FKS 18 - Bought these on sale, mounted them and never got to ski them. Was saving them for Alaska, but the trip fell through and they sat all winter.

203 cm Volkl Shiro with Marker Jester Pro - Ski deep pow then bash through crud ski. These ski really short and are a ton of fun. Currently for sale because I I don’t need two pairs of the same ski.

Not pictured-

187 Blizzard Bonafide 2017/2018 - BNIP - warranty replacement I need to put on eBay

193 Volkl Confession - on the way from Volkl as warranty replacements for a pair of 193 Shiros that delaminated on me

194 Praxis Freerides - Hope these will fill the gap between 98 and 116 in my quiver. I know the 202 Rangers are 110mm under foot, but they are still 202 cm long and a lot to ski when it gets tight.

I’m really happy with where the quiver ended up at the end of the season. I would like to sell the black and blue pair of 203 Shiros and possibly the 193 Shiros. Everything else will go into next winter with me. I am still looking for that magical ski that fits in the quiver between the MX 98s and the Praxis Super Freerides. I’m hoping the standard Freerides will do the job, but am cautious that they will be too soft. I would like to grab a pair of 189 cm Dynastar Cham 2.0s or 188 cm x106s to try, but they might be too short. I’m also going to keep an eye out for a deal on a pair of 192 Blizzard Cochise or Rustler 11s. I don’t think I gave the Cochise enough credit for how easy they were to ski and sold them too quickly.

Lastly, a list of skis I tried, didn’t like (or just moved on from) and sold for one of a million reasons (all skied in the longest length available):
    Dynastar Pro Rider
    Icelantic Nomad 115
    Blizzard Zero G 108
    Blizzard Bonafide
    Blizzard Cochise - might revisit these next year
    Blizzard Gunsmoke
    Blizzard Kabookie
    Rossignol GS skis (190ish cm)
    Fischer Ranger 108 188cm
    Fischer Ranger 98
    Praxis Protest - might revisit these
    ON3P Wrenegade 112s built extra stiff for Wren himself
    Black Crows Corvis
    Black Crows Atris
    DPS 112 something or other (these suck)
    Head REVs
    Atomic Backland 109
    Dynastar Speed Zone Pro 12 (too soft and got talked into them)
    Blizzard Quattro something or other
    Kastle MX 98 184cm
    Kastle BMX HP 105
    OG and new Spur
    Fischer Ranger 115 XTI (these things really uniquely suck)
    Volkl Mantra

Boots ended up being Atomic Club Sport Redster 130, Lange RS 140 (RIP and fuck you Lange for killing the best boot ever), Lange XT 130 Freetour. The Lange WC ZB didnt work with my feet and the size 27 Dynafit TLT6P were too big.

Ill probably head on a road trip to Utah, Cali and Washington in the next few weeks and take the Blizzard Scouts, a pair of MX 98s and the custom Praxis Freerides. That would be my 3 ski quiver if I had to choose one. I know its two pairs of boots, but that’s life.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask away.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Last edited by skibrd; 04-09-2018 at 08:27 PM.

That was a really great read! Thanks a lot for that! Wish more people would keep up with this thread as I love it so much.

What did you not like about the wren? (Sure you had the 108? I remember from your last post that it was the older 112 model?)
    More about what you are hoping the cochise will do for you?

Agreed, awesome write up skibrd!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Those orange Shiros are amazing!! Did you grab those 194 Freerides from eBay?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    That was a really great read! Thanks a lot for that! Wish more people would keep up with this thread as I love it so much.

What did you not like about the wren? (Sure you had the 108? I remember from your last post that it was the older 112 model?)
    More about what you are hoping the cochise will do for you?
    This is my favorite thread on the forums by far, so much random info about skis and I love it.

I was hoping writing that would give me closure on the resort skiing season with the village closing this past weekend. So far it hasn’t worked...

I think you are correct, they were older so probably Wren 112s. Short story, they were too stiff. Long story, I did two early season tram laps when we had low coverage and not much fresh snow, I didn’t like how they skied, or how they were skiing me. Norseman was right when he said you needed to get them into the air to turn them, and I wasn’t a fan. I probably should of held on to them until we got some fresh snow, but a buddy offered me what I paid for them, so I moved on from them. I can admit when I am not enough for a pair of skis, and I wasn’t man enough for the extra stiff Wren 112.

In the Cochise I’m looking for something lighter and more versatile for lift access backcountry then either the MX98 or the Super Freerides. A ski between 189 cm and 195 cm long, between 100 and 110 underfoot, has a backbone, not a heavyweight (but not a light weight carbon noodle cause those suck), definitely some early rise, some camber would be ok, is what I’m looking for. A fatter 194 MX 98, but a skinnier Praxis Super Freerides. I have a pair of standard 194 Praxis Freerides (106 mm underfoot) coming in the mail tomorrow that might fit the bill (thanks for the heads up Betelgeuse). If I can find a pair of 192 Cochise or 192 Rustler 11s this summer for a decent price Ill give them a shot. I also want to check out the Faction Candide 3.0 and 4.0 (even though I’m pretty sure both are way too soft for me), Faction Dictator 3.0 and 4.0 intrigues me, same with the Faction Prime 4.0. Maybe a skinny Praxis Quixote, or a enduro 5 stiffness Praxis Wootest 2.0. I want ski I can go ski Granite Canyon laps with, then hike Cody or 4 Pines, that wont kill my knees on the traverses out (as skis over 110mm do over time), is lighter then my pow skis, but will give me enough float and support to ski what I want, how I want. I know, unicorns don’t exist, but Ill keep looking. And no Alpy, the answer is not Praxis RX, its too short and too fat for what I want, maybe a narrow RX if we can convince Keith to make a 194 RX?

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Those orange Shiros are amazing!! Did you grab those 194 Freerides from eBay?
    Those Shiros look f’n amazing, If I never ski them, the $450 the skis and bindings cost me will be well worth it just to look at them. Best part is, Ill get to ski them one of these days!

I do want a pair of Dynastar Speed Zone 16 TI if anyone sees any for sale for a decent price. A little carving ski is IMO a requirement for the narrow end of a quiver.

family Quiver

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	231841Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0060.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	231842

on piste skis:
    Hero master 175cm, R18 - daughter Barbora and my GS ski
    Hero master 180cm, R21 - My GS ski and also rock ski
    Hero FIS 182cm R24- My GS early morning ski for empty slopes
    Volkl P60, 178cm - wife Blanka limited retro ski

Touring
    Elan Alaska PRO - daughter Veronika ski tour, she is snowboarder so only one ski
    Back UP 82, 172 - for my wife
    WayBack 88, my old touring ski and rock ski

Carbon
    Mythic 97, 177cm R16, ATK Free12 - my best everyday touring and freeride ski. I replace with this sky Soul 7.
    Katana 184 R23.5, Tecton - my freeride and touring ski, skied only few times, looks like my next favourite ski

Freeride
    LPR 105, 184cm R24 - my all time favourite, now my rock skis
    Savory 7, 180cm R17 - Barbora powder ski
    Soul 7 HD, 180cm, R17 - Blanka powder and fun ski
    S7.ltd, 170cm, R10 - Barbora first kids powder ski.
    Soul 7, 180 - missing from the picture, my fun powder ski, and rock ski

Snowboard
    Jones hovercraft
    Rossi Justice

and for next winter one more ski - Mantra M5, 177cm. I sold mantra M4 184cm and i demoed and liked M5 much much more

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	268.6 KB 
ID:	231797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	231798

Lastly, a list of skis I tried, didn’t like (or just moved on from) and sold for one of a million reasons (all skied in the longest length available):

Kastle BMX HP 105

Curious why you didn't like the Kastle. It is on my list of maybe future skis, if a deal could be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    Curious why you didn't like the Kastle. It is on my list of maybe future skis, if a deal could be found.
    It’s too short! The Kastle BMX 105 HP is an awesome ski, but the longest length is 189 cm and it feels tiny with the tip rocker it has. If you notice, of the skis I have tried and kept, they are all at or over 193cm. Maybe I should of considered it as a touring ski, because it is such a good ski, but I’m happy with the Scouts.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    It’s too short! The Kastle BMX 105 HP is an awesome ski, but the longest length is 189 cm and it feels tiny with the tip rocker it has. If you notice, of the skis I have tried and kept, they are all at or over 193cm. Maybe I should of considered it as a touring ski, because it is such a good ski, but I’m happy with the Scouts.
    What skis do you use in trees?

What skis do you use in trees?

Either my 195 cm Super Freerides or my 194 cm Kastle MX 98s, just have to be picky where I want to turn. I’m also a large human being, and usually it is me that won’t fit between trees before me skis won’t.

Damn. That sounds like a nightmare to me! I am 6’2.5” 210lbs, and prefer shorter, more playful skis for trees.

Damn. That sounds like a nightmare to me! I am 6’2.5” 210lbs, and prefer shorter, more playful skis for trees.

We are about the same size, I might be a smidge taller, and you got me by 20-30 lbs. The Super Freerides seem to work just fine in the trees I usually ski. Sometimes I do feel the 202 Rangers are too long in tight spots, but that really only happened early season, example is Tower Three early season. I don’t spend much time in Mushroom Chutes, and maybe that’s the skis, not 100% sure though. Even when I had shorter skis, I didn’t ski in there much.

2018:

Name:	IMG_3926.jpg 
Views:	766 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	232834

L>R:
    172 Cham 97
    184 Cham HM
    190 Cham 107
    189 Cham 127
    192 Legend105
    192 BigDump
    186 Huge Trouble
    186 Big Trouble
    187 XXL
    194 XXL
    194 Pro
    186 Pro
    178 8800
    188 Nobis Inspired
    196 Nobis Pro
    194 BigPro
    188 Intuitiv Big
    194 4x4 Big
    190 Powder
    175 Vertical Extreme
    200 X8
    240 VR27
    165 Omeglass
    216 Speed Course
    210 Speed Course
    210 MV5
    207 G9
    200 Course GS
    185 Course SL
    203 Course SL
    203 Course SL
    200 S130
    200 GSC
    203 RS SL
    203 4S
    223 RC4
    186 Stormrider

Mix of P18/P15/ZR/Forza/PX15 and FT12.

Name:	IMG_3940.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	232838

The oft overlooked pole quiver.
    Racer/Carbon/GoldMedal/Rental/Countach

Name:	IMG_3889.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	232840
    Last edited by gwat; 04-19-2018 at 07:25 PM.
    Do what you like, Like what you do.