Page 188 of 193 FirstFirst ... 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 LastLast
Results 4,676 to 4,700 of 4808
  1. #4676
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland by way of Bozeman
    Posts
    2,895
    The quiver saw some churn the last two seasons; I sold off my 190 Bibbys, my 189 Wren 208s, 1st gen Salomon Rocker2 208s, and traded one of my best friends some whiskey for a pair of LP XXLs. Last night, I added in the Atris. Not pictured is a flat pair of 4FRNT Renedage Raven 2.0, which are for sale.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ktK77mr.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	324.4 KB 
ID:	308966

  2. #4677
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    86
    Last few years my wife and I had a couple boys, I started skiing less, found this forum, lost my mind. Been having a blast and still seeing alot of days out there with a good amount of commitment.

    Each ski is juuuuust different enough.

    L to R

    187 Masterblaster - decided to go a different direction on this end of the quiver and I couldn't be happier. Can ski anywhere on the mountain and they ski bigger than a 96 uf ski

    184 Raven - pound for pound remarkable stability should have put pins on them. Kind of odd ski out not getting much burn but what can in this context

    185 Navis - near perfect touring ski for me. Exceptional mod flex, trad camber, stout tail. Also great for skiing inbounds smaller hills with regular people. Only BC ski I've really liked enough to keep. Wish I tried the old Corvus

    185 Navis Freebird - Have to see where the weight makes the most difference on this setup. Probably will end up fucking them up sooner than later.

    191 Mantra 102 - can't stop skiing them just a ripping ride across the board. Going to be a big deal in these circles perhaps

    192 Pro Rider - fortunate to have gotten in on the mag run this year...maybe will improve probability of getting my hips resurfaced some day. Been skiing them weekdays with less traffic. Just amazing skis. Keepers for sure.

    192 Cochise - most of these skis are trying to supplant the Cochise I think maybe the Cochise really makes them extraneous then I tell myself to fuck off go find a better ski

    189 Wren 108 Ti stiffer - Absolute monsters for me still working through it all only a few days so far. Great in the steep and soft some real work on firmer faster

    193 Husume quad glass - intended on it being my daily driver hope to ski it the most this season. Like a lincoln continental atop a catamaran

    189 Wren 114 stiffer - awesome fucking rocket ships can't say enough about this ski it should have been a bigger deal

    189 Billy Goat stock - as advertised. pow...Been skiing them on wetter days the tail comes in handy

    193 Overlord quad glass - more pow... I imagine the supergoat might be similar with the alt tail and progressive shaping but who knows. More people should have this ski it's pretty unbelievable.

    192 Protest stock - pow pow pow... scared into buying these couple months ago with the last sale. Will mount them up when it gets deep if my legs aren't broken first

    Help meClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200106_203500.jpeg 
Views:	176 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	309455

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

  3. #4678
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    653
    You dont need help, thats a fucking sick collection! I gotta demo a overlord one of these days, sounds like a sick ski!

  4. #4679
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    voting in seattle
    Posts
    4,284
    I like the selection. What more impressive is your using all of them with kids.

    Also I think a lot of us would love to hear your thoughts comparing these:
    Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    191 Mantra 102 -
    192 Pro Rider -
    192 Cochise -
    189 Wren 108 Ti stiffer
    Last edited by XavierD; 01-07-2020 at 01:33 PM.

  5. #4680
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Swiss alps
    Posts
    560
    Yes to that comparison ^^^

  6. #4681
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    2,455
    +2.

    And I thought I had 10x overlap.

  7. #4682
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    580
    Ok, 19-20 update. Sorry about the blurry pics - crappy phone and dark basement....
    I'm the very definition of a skier of average skill and slightly above average physique. 190cm/84kg. Ski with shin pressure.

    New for the year is Enforcer 88, BMT109 and C&Ds
    Out since last year is a pair of Atomic GS skis (didn't need), Enforcer 93 (wanted something even better), GPO-1 (didn't like) and Pontoons (didn't need)

    Boots are Cochise 130 with Surefoot liners, and 1 gen Solly Mtn Labs with Intuition power-something from Sole

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sub1101920.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	309682

    Enforcer 88 - 186 - Pivot 14@line
    Skied the 93s quite a bit for the last two years @-1cm. Really liked them for groomers, chalk, moguls, but didn't really do it for in anything remotely soft. So I traded them for a pair of new 88 for even mo betta grip. Only one day on them so far. Significantly stiffer than the 93s, but still pretty easy to ski. Demands a bit more technique to bend into a proper carve. Mounted at the line since they are "longer", stiffer and I thought Nordica had moved the line back. Mistake. For me they feel a bit too forward/ short for their length. Will probably remount a cm or so back, once I get a few days on them.

    Superbros - 195 - FKS155@-1,5
    The black stallion, destroyer of worlds and roughed up groomers. Take these out a couple of times each year. Less intimidating than specs and their appearance make you think. Need proper turn initiation, and at my weight they prefer turns at their own radius. But breaking them into a speed check is less effort than one might imagine. Took them into skied out trees once. Barely survived. Note bindings relative to 10cm shorter Enforcers

    BMT94 - 186 - ATK RT2.0@line
    Second pair. One of my favourite skis of all time. Should probably buy a back-up pair, but my old ones had 40 days when I got rid of them, and they showed no signs of slowing down. Easy to ski, but that's also because they're pretty stable. Handles crusts and funk pretty well.

    Wrenegade 102 - 186 - Pivot 14@line
    Have had these for years. Lots of days on them. Didn't really love them to begin with, but I've come to love all their shortcomings. They are a proper jack-of-all etc. Not great on hardpack for their width. Better in the soft than you'd expect. If I had to cut down to 3 or 4 pairs they would probably stay. In all but the worst, funkiest or deepest conditions they just work.

    Wrenegade 108 - 189 - CAST@line
    1. gen, with softer fiberglass. Still a substantial ski, but far easier to ski than the 191 OG Wrens I had 10 years ago. Better than those in all conditions, but propper crud. They can have a tendency to get knocked around a bit more than I would have thought. Probably pilot error. Obviously far better in the open than in tight terrain. Do not approve of icy moguls.

    BMT109 - 186 - ATK FR14@line
    One day on them. The absolutely worst, icy, sastrugi, shit-fuck conditions I've ever toured on. And for a light, 109 waisted, fully rockered ski they were 100% predictable and ok. If they ski soft and crusts as well, relative to how they handled shit conditions, the Toggas might be redundant.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	over1101920.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	309683

    EHP - 186/193 - Pivot 14@-1,5/line
    Had 186 for years back in the days. One of my favourite skis, but I felt the line were a bit forward and they were mounted with Dukes.....
    Last year I picked up both pairs at a yard sale. Mounted the 186s -1,5 and they now make sense for me. One of the best slush skis ever. A legend that should be remade @190cm.
    The 193 had holes at the line for my BSL so I mounted them there. Holly crap, it's a shit ton of tail one those skis. Will absolutely remount @-1,5 or -2. Still though, very manageable for their overall size. Probably all sorts of fun inbounds on a shallow pow day, and preferably above treeline.

    Volkl One - 186 - Pivot 18@line
    Picked up these two years ago to use their bindings for something else. Skied them for one day to see what they were all about. Fell in love. Been skiing them a lot more than expected. Pivoty, poppy, floaty - just plain fun. But narrow enough to still work in cut up resort conditions. The softest metal ski ever? Ski short, would love these in a 190. Damn, if Volkl managed to make a BMT-ish version of these I'd be set for pow touring ski the rest of my life.

    BG (res) - 186 - CAST@line
    Absolutely in my top 3 all-time list. There is enough info about these elsewhere in here for those who don't know what this ski is about.

    BG tour (res) - 191 - FKS140@line
    Fantastic ski. Even easier to ski than the stock BG. Too long for touring, but a great inbounds ski for cold snow. Stock for wetter or heavily cut up,
    Maybe even better than the stock in funky crusts etc. Less allround though.

    SGN Togga - 186 - ATK FR12@-1,5
    Only been on them a couple of time. Extremely quick and fun in good snow. Good length for touring, but feels like snowblades downhill. Not as much float in flatter terrain as the profile suggests. Mount is pretty forward, maybe remount @-2,5. If the BMT109s are as good as I expect, then they might have to go. But still, they are pretty spectacular for noodling around dense trees.

    C&D - 191 - Pivot 18@line
    One day so far. Like most ON3Ps they feel pretty dialed, Great in untouched pow. Quick and confidence inspiring. Probably good in cold snow, even when cut up. Felt like they got thrown around quite a bit in cut up wetter snow the day I skied them. Easier going, better pow ski than the OG 191 C&Ds, but perhaps a bit less versatile.



    At this point the quiver feels pretty dialed, although bloated at 115-120. Could be fun to add a slim, playful ski. Woodsman 96? And I'm not certain about the Toggas.

  8. #4683
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I like the selection. What more impressive is your using all of them with kids.

    Also I think a lot of us would love to hear your thoughts comparing these:
    Yeah I get it. You've gotten to the core of what this season hopes to suss out. Always fishing for a better ski for me than the Cochise. Something to do.Had a couple of Cochise now and was thinking it'd be fun to try and see what's what.

    Last year I picked up some new Corvus hoping for a bit more energy or flex or something than the Cochise and wasn't feeling them as much as I'd hoped and pressed on. Thought long and hard about the Wren Ti as being that ski.

    The Cochise has been my main ski...in my head I can immediately compare them most easily to the ski I'm on. Prob about 130 days total so I know that ski really well.

    I have about 5-7 days on each of the other three so I'll keep this updated as fit.

    Wren Tis were long in the shopping cart before they were even released so I had thought long and hard about them and when I hadn't clicked at first I was a bit depressed. Just came off LPRs and Mantras with but early rise and you just can't ski them the same. Wrens felt cumbersome, skiing from directly underfoot instead of rolling them over on edge out of the gates of that makes sense.

    In finding how to better ski them they are definitely a game on demanding ski that's pretty rewarding. Have been at times monsters to manage on firmer snow. Haven't detuned anything but it's crossed my mind.

    Unrelatedly, almost picked up some Brahmas and said fuck it why not get a 102mm groomer ski so picked up the Mantra 102s on a complete impulse buy. Has completely blown my mind for it's dampness, power, flex, speed, ski anywhere versatility, all of it. Reminds you quick you only need a couple good skis but then what'd we daydream about. Wanted to hate them cause I must carry some anti m5 biases but it hs been shockingly versatile.

    I really appreciate the more progressive uses of titanal in skis like mantra, mindbender, masterblaster, wren ti. I think the lack of it or framing of the metal underfoot of the mantra 102 just gives it a really dynamite flex. Volkl is doing their part with with this ski and say the v werks katana in terms of of implementing new tech and design in really positive ways.

    So far it's been pretty intuitive in terms of how these skis have performed.

    The Pro Pro Riders felt super accessible to me and are head and shoulders the most impressive skis in terms of a high degree of completely unnecessary strength, stability and power, that when harnessed lapping resort steeps is super fun and exhausting. When the flat light hits and your legs are tired know when to wrap it up.

    I say they are next level because really at least qualitatively they feel next level than the other three skis . Just mute out the world and go go go. Skiing the others made me realize the range within stable skis is still pretty broad between something like the Mantra even Cochise and LPR. There's stable and there's really fucking super stable. I like to think I'd ski them every three days, not daily.

    The Wren Ti is generally easier to ski and much lighter relatively speaking, rewarding to drive hard but the tail and rocker combo keep you on fore aft notice for sure. I have not clicked fully with them in the conditions I've taken them out, and and am likely to ski them the most in the near term trying to break through on them.




    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

  9. #4684
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    5,134
    Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Ok, 19-20 update. Sorry about the blurry pics - crappy phone and dark basement....
    I'm the very definition of a skier of average skill and slightly above average physique. 190cm/84kg. Ski with shin pressure.

    New for the year is Enforcer 88, BMT109 and C&Ds
    Out since last year is a pair of Atomic GS skis (didn't need), Enforcer 93 (wanted something even better), GPO-1 (didn't like) and Pontoons (didn't need)

    Boots are Cochise 130 with Surefoot liners, and 1 gen Solly Mtn Labs with Intuition power-something from Sole

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sub1101920.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	309682

    Enforcer 88 - 186 - Pivot 14@line
    Skied the 93s quite a bit for the last two years @-1cm. Really liked them for groomers, chalk, moguls, but didn't really do it for in anything remotely soft. So I traded them for a pair of new 88 for even mo betta grip. Only one day on them so far. Significantly stiffer than the 93s, but still pretty easy to ski. Demands a bit more technique to bend into a proper carve. Mounted at the line since they are "longer", stiffer and I thought Nordica had moved the line back. Mistake. For me they feel a bit too forward/ short for their length. Will probably remount a cm or so back, once I get a few days on them.

    Superbros - 195 - FKS155@-1,5
    The black stallion, destroyer of worlds and roughed up groomers. Take these out a couple of times each year. Less intimidating than specs and their appearance make you think. Need proper turn initiation, and at my weight they prefer turns at their own radius. But breaking them into a speed check is less effort than one might imagine. Took them into skied out trees once. Barely survived. Note bindings relative to 10cm shorter Enforcers

    BMT94 - 186 - ATK RT2.0@line
    Second pair. One of my favourite skis of all time. Should probably buy a back-up pair, but my old ones had 40 days when I got rid of them, and they showed no signs of slowing down. Easy to ski, but that's also because they're pretty stable. Handles crusts and funk pretty well.

    Wrenegade 102 - 186 - Pivot 14@line
    Have had these for years. Lots of days on them. Didn't really love them to begin with, but I've come to love all their shortcomings. They are a proper jack-of-all etc. Not great on hardpack for their width. Better in the soft than you'd expect. If I had to cut down to 3 or 4 pairs they would probably stay. In all but the worst, funkiest or deepest conditions they just work.

    Wrenegade 108 - 189 - CAST@line
    1. gen, with softer fiberglass. Still a substantial ski, but far easier to ski than the 191 OG Wrens I had 10 years ago. Better than those in all conditions, but propper crud. They can have a tendency to get knocked around a bit more than I would have thought. Probably pilot error. Obviously far better in the open than in tight terrain. Do not approve of icy moguls.

    BMT109 - 186 - ATK FR14@line
    One day on them. The absolutely worst, icy, sastrugi, shit-fuck conditions I've ever toured on. And for a light, 109 waisted, fully rockered ski they were 100% predictable and ok. If they ski soft and crusts as well, relative to how they handled shit conditions, the Toggas might be redundant.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	over1101920.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	309683

    EHP - 186/193 - Pivot 14@-1,5/line
    Had 186 for years back in the days. One of my favourite skis, but I felt the line were a bit forward and they were mounted with Dukes.....
    Last year I picked up both pairs at a yard sale. Mounted the 186s -1,5 and they now make sense for me. One of the best slush skis ever. A legend that should be remade @190cm.
    The 193 had holes at the line for my BSL so I mounted them there. Holly crap, it's a shit ton of tail one those skis. Will absolutely remount @-1,5 or -2. Still though, very manageable for their overall size. Probably all sorts of fun inbounds on a shallow pow day, and preferably above treeline.

    Volkl One - 186 - Pivot 18@line
    Picked up these two years ago to use their bindings for something else. Skied them for one day to see what they were all about. Fell in love. Been skiing them a lot more than expected. Pivoty, poppy, floaty - just plain fun. But narrow enough to still work in cut up resort conditions. The softest metal ski ever? Ski short, would love these in a 190. Damn, if Volkl managed to make a BMT-ish version of these I'd be set for pow touring ski the rest of my life.

    BG (res) - 186 - CAST@line
    Absolutely in my top 3 all-time list. There is enough info about these elsewhere in here for those who don't know what this ski is about.

    BG tour (res) - 191 - FKS140@line
    Fantastic ski. Even easier to ski than the stock BG. Too long for touring, but a great inbounds ski for cold snow. Stock for wetter or heavily cut up,
    Maybe even better than the stock in funky crusts etc. Less allround though.

    SGN Togga - 186 - ATK FR12@-1,5
    Only been on them a couple of time. Extremely quick and fun in good snow. Good length for touring, but feels like snowblades downhill. Not as much float in flatter terrain as the profile suggests. Mount is pretty forward, maybe remount @-2,5. If the BMT109s are as good as I expect, then they might have to go. But still, they are pretty spectacular for noodling around dense trees.

    C&D - 191 - Pivot 18@line
    One day so far. Like most ON3Ps they feel pretty dialed, Great in untouched pow. Quick and confidence inspiring. Probably good in cold snow, even when cut up. Felt like they got thrown around quite a bit in cut up wetter snow the day I skied them. Easier going, better pow ski than the OG 191 C&Ds, but perhaps a bit less versatile.



    At this point the quiver feels pretty dialed, although bloated at 115-120. Could be fun to add a slim, playful ski. Woodsman 96? And I'm not certain about the Toggas.
    PE, Mechanical Engineering
    University of Bridger Bowl Alumnus
    Alpental Creeper

  10. #4685
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lapping the pow with the GSA in the PNW
    Posts
    3,232
    Nice quiver!!

    Volkl Oneís donít have metal. Great ski though. Used to own the 196 Two...awesome in fresh snow but fell apart once things got tracked out.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

  11. #4686
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,973
    bry, rad words and review. Great insights. Quiver is pretty sweet too! Holler if you need a home for those Mantra 102s or the Protests.
    sproing!

    FS: 178 ZeroG 95s with Fritschi Vipec blacks https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...hi-Vipec-black

    FS: Intuition wrap liners https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ion-wrap-liner

  12. #4687
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,205
    Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Ok, 19-20 update. Sorry about the blurry pics - crappy phone and dark basement....
    I'm the very definition of a skier of average skill and slightly above average physique. 190cm/84kg. Ski with shin pressure.

    New for the year is Enforcer 88, BMT109 and C&Ds
    Out since last year is a pair of Atomic GS skis (didn't need), Enforcer 93 (wanted something even better), GPO-1 (didn't like) and Pontoons (didn't need)

    Boots are Cochise 130 with Surefoot liners, and 1 gen Solly Mtn Labs with Intuition power-something from Sole

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sub1101920.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	309682

    Enforcer 88 - 186 - Pivot 14@line
    Skied the 93s quite a bit for the last two years @-1cm. Really liked them for groomers, chalk, moguls, but didn't really do it for in anything remotely soft. So I traded them for a pair of new 88 for even mo betta grip. Only one day on them so far. Significantly stiffer than the 93s, but still pretty easy to ski. Demands a bit more technique to bend into a proper carve. Mounted at the line since they are "longer", stiffer and I thought Nordica had moved the line back. Mistake. For me they feel a bit too forward/ short for their length. Will probably remount a cm or so back, once I get a few days on them.

    Superbros - 195 - FKS155@-1,5
    The black stallion, destroyer of worlds and roughed up groomers. Take these out a couple of times each year. Less intimidating than specs and their appearance make you think. Need proper turn initiation, and at my weight they prefer turns at their own radius. But breaking them into a speed check is less effort than one might imagine. Took them into skied out trees once. Barely survived. Note bindings relative to 10cm shorter Enforcers

    BMT94 - 186 - ATK RT2.0@line
    Second pair. One of my favourite skis of all time. Should probably buy a back-up pair, but my old ones had 40 days when I got rid of them, and they showed no signs of slowing down. Easy to ski, but that's also because they're pretty stable. Handles crusts and funk pretty well.

    Wrenegade 102 - 186 - Pivot 14@line
    Have had these for years. Lots of days on them. Didn't really love them to begin with, but I've come to love all their shortcomings. They are a proper jack-of-all etc. Not great on hardpack for their width. Better in the soft than you'd expect. If I had to cut down to 3 or 4 pairs they would probably stay. In all but the worst, funkiest or deepest conditions they just work.

    Wrenegade 108 - 189 - CAST@line
    1. gen, with softer fiberglass. Still a substantial ski, but far easier to ski than the 191 OG Wrens I had 10 years ago. Better than those in all conditions, but propper crud. They can have a tendency to get knocked around a bit more than I would have thought. Probably pilot error. Obviously far better in the open than in tight terrain. Do not approve of icy moguls.

    BMT109 - 186 - ATK FR14@line
    One day on them. The absolutely worst, icy, sastrugi, shit-fuck conditions I've ever toured on. And for a light, 109 waisted, fully rockered ski they were 100% predictable and ok. If they ski soft and crusts as well, relative to how they handled shit conditions, the Toggas might be redundant.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	over1101920.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	309683

    EHP - 186/193 - Pivot 14@-1,5/line
    Had 186 for years back in the days. One of my favourite skis, but I felt the line were a bit forward and they were mounted with Dukes.....
    Last year I picked up both pairs at a yard sale. Mounted the 186s -1,5 and they now make sense for me. One of the best slush skis ever. A legend that should be remade @190cm.
    The 193 had holes at the line for my BSL so I mounted them there. Holly crap, it's a shit ton of tail one those skis. Will absolutely remount @-1,5 or -2. Still though, very manageable for their overall size. Probably all sorts of fun inbounds on a shallow pow day, and preferably above treeline.

    Volkl One - 186 - Pivot 18@line
    Picked up these two years ago to use their bindings for something else. Skied them for one day to see what they were all about. Fell in love. Been skiing them a lot more than expected. Pivoty, poppy, floaty - just plain fun. But narrow enough to still work in cut up resort conditions. The softest metal ski ever? Ski short, would love these in a 190. Damn, if Volkl managed to make a BMT-ish version of these I'd be set for pow touring ski the rest of my life.

    BG (res) - 186 - CAST@line
    Absolutely in my top 3 all-time list. There is enough info about these elsewhere in here for those who don't know what this ski is about.

    BG tour (res) - 191 - FKS140@line
    Fantastic ski. Even easier to ski than the stock BG. Too long for touring, but a great inbounds ski for cold snow. Stock for wetter or heavily cut up,
    Maybe even better than the stock in funky crusts etc. Less allround though.

    SGN Togga - 186 - ATK FR12@-1,5
    Only been on them a couple of time. Extremely quick and fun in good snow. Good length for touring, but feels like snowblades downhill. Not as much float in flatter terrain as the profile suggests. Mount is pretty forward, maybe remount @-2,5. If the BMT109s are as good as I expect, then they might have to go. But still, they are pretty spectacular for noodling around dense trees.

    C&D - 191 - Pivot 18@line
    One day so far. Like most ON3Ps they feel pretty dialed, Great in untouched pow. Quick and confidence inspiring. Probably good in cold snow, even when cut up. Felt like they got thrown around quite a bit in cut up wetter snow the day I skied them. Easier going, better pow ski than the OG 191 C&Ds, but perhaps a bit less versatile.



    At this point the quiver feels pretty dialed, although bloated at 115-120. Could be fun to add a slim, playful ski. Woodsman 96? And I'm not certain about the Toggas.
    nice review and excellent quiver!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  13. #4688
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Nice quiver!!

    Volkl Oneís donít have metal. Great ski though. Used to own the 196 Two...awesome in fresh snow but fell apart once things got tracked out.
    Thanks.
    I really believed the Ones had metal. Makes more sense now.

  14. #4689
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Land of the Long Flat Vowel
    Posts
    866
    Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    Yeah I get it. You've gotten to the core of what this season hopes to suss out. Always fishing for a better ski for me than the Cochise. Something to do.Had a couple of Cochise now and was thinking it'd be fun to try and see what's what.

    Last year I picked up some new Corvus hoping for a bit more energy or flex or something than the Cochise and wasn't feeling them as much as I'd hoped and pressed on. Thought long and hard about the Wren Ti as being that ski.

    The Cochise has been my main ski...in my head I can immediately compare them most easily to the ski I'm on. Prob about 130 days total so I know that ski really well.

    I have about 5-7 days on each of the other three so I'll keep this updated as fit.

    Wren Tis were long in the shopping cart before they were even released so I had thought long and hard about them and when I hadn't clicked at first I was a bit depressed. Just came off LPRs and Mantras with but early rise and you just can't ski them the same. Wrens felt cumbersome, skiing from directly underfoot instead of rolling them over on edge out of the gates of that makes sense.

    In finding how to better ski them they are definitely a game on demanding ski that's pretty rewarding. Have been at times monsters to manage on firmer snow. Haven't detuned anything but it's crossed my mind.

    Unrelatedly, almost picked up some Brahmas and said fuck it why not get a 102mm groomer ski so picked up the Mantra 102s on a complete impulse buy. Has completely blown my mind for it's dampness, power, flex, speed, ski anywhere versatility, all of it. Reminds you quick you only need a couple good skis but then what'd we daydream about. Wanted to hate them cause I must carry some anti m5 biases but it hs been shockingly versatile.

    I really appreciate the more progressive uses of titanal in skis like mantra, mindbender, masterblaster, wren ti. I think the lack of it or framing of the metal underfoot of the mantra 102 just gives it a really dynamite flex. Volkl is doing their part with with this ski and say the v werks katana in terms of of implementing new tech and design in really positive ways.

    So far it's been pretty intuitive in terms of how these skis have performed.

    The Pro Pro Riders felt super accessible to me and are head and shoulders the most impressive skis in terms of a high degree of completely unnecessary strength, stability and power, that when harnessed lapping resort steeps is super fun and exhausting. When the flat light hits and your legs are tired know when to wrap it up.

    I say they are next level because really at least qualitatively they feel next level than the other three skis . Just mute out the world and go go go. Skiing the others made me realize the range within stable skis is still pretty broad between something like the Mantra even Cochise and LPR. There's stable and there's really fucking super stable. I like to think I'd ski them every three days, not daily.

    The Wren Ti is generally easier to ski and much lighter relatively speaking, rewarding to drive hard but the tail and rocker combo keep you on fore aft notice for sure. I have not clicked fully with them in the conditions I've taken them out, and and am likely to ski them the most in the near term trying to break through on them.




    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Thanks for that, Bry.

    Would love to A/B the 191 Mantra 102 against my Pro Riders, especially after reading that. How do the Cochise fit in there - apart from being your perennial favourite?

  15. #4690
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Thanks for that, Bry.

    Would love to A/B the 191 Mantra 102 against my Pro Riders, especially after reading that. How do the Cochise fit in there - apart from being your perennial favourite?
    Yeah great q...and for more context I am going to pass along my Cochise soon and am keeping the Mantra 102s and Pro Riders. Can't believe it but I think that is a good and practical outcome of the exercise.

    First, they are each more than the Cochise in a few different ways. I have been thinking of the three as on a spectrum with Cochise splitting the two:

    PRs more damp than Cochise, more swing weight, more EE, more flex, more camber, more tail, more out in front of you. A bit more manmaker for sure. Love the camber btw.

    Mantra 102s are much more alive than the Cochise, more flex, probably a similar EE, better carver. Better harmony between livelyness and dampness. Maybe it's just me but it feels also like it gives me fair notice to get out of the backseat of I slip in there and the other skis do less so.

    Pro Rider feels like a quiver ski to me at 42 dad status, while certainly capable at a place like Mammoth for example it has some impracticality to be a daily driver with more modern skis than the PR where you can chill out for a second. As long as the window of age and athleticism stays open I think it's pretty sweet to rip around on and check in on myself so to speak.

    Cochise feels like a daily driver, Mantra for sure. Wren Tis feel like a quiver ski unless I would ski pow much more, with good vis. Not a firmer conditions ski for me.

    I ski the Mantra 102s on and off days with the Pro Riders and going onto the Mantras just feels like blades man it's a trip... I can just pop around, so enough difference in flex and energy...really noticeable at slower speeds too.

    Pro Riders are def better than the others for shit snow, though the others are really good there too!

    All great skis.






    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by bry; 01-20-2020 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Grammar

  16. #4691
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Land of the Long Flat Vowel
    Posts
    866
    Thanks, mate!

    Here's hoping I run into someone with a pair of 102s and a similar bsl :-)

  17. #4692
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Swiss alps
    Posts
    560
    thanks for the great comparison bry. Very insightful. If my OG cochise ever die I would love to get me a M102.

    what is EE though?

  18. #4693
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    at work
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post

    what is EE though?
    Effective Edge usually
    "What moves men of genius, or rather what inspires their work, is not new ideas, but their obsession with the idea that what has already been said is still not enough."

    -Eugene Delacroix

  19. #4694
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Swiss alps
    Posts
    560
    aight, got it.

  20. #4695
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    151
    Skis L->R
    Retro/kick and glide touring:
    1984 Karhu XCD GT 200cm - pins
    1986 Fischer GTS super telemark - Riva C
    Touring:
    2016 Voile WSP 160cm - Moonlight Pure
    2018 Voile Objective 171cm - Lynx
    2013 Voile Vector BC 180cm - TTS
    2017 Voile Supercharger 178cm - Meidjo
    Inbounds:
    2019 Wren 96 184cm - Outlaw X
    2015 PB&J 188cm - Outlaw
    2019 Deathwish 190cm - Outlaw X
    2010 Megawatt 188cm - Inserts for outlaws

    Boots L-R
    1984? Scarpa Fabiano double leathers
    1993 Merrell supercomp
    2009 Scarpa F1 carbon
    2006 Scarpa F1, bolt on duckbutt for NTN
    2015 Scarpa TX pro lower w/ TX cuff
    2017 Crispi Evo World Cup
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200122_154816.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	913.3 KB 
ID:	312010  
    Last edited by TeleBeaver; 01-23-2020 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Picture issues

  21. #4696
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post


    Skis L->R
    Retro/kick and glide touring:
    1984 Karhu XCD GT 200cm - pins
    1986 Fischer GTS super telemark - Riva C
    Touring:
    2016 Voile WSP 160cm - Moonlight Pure
    2018 Voile Objective 171cm - Lynx
    2013 Voile Vector BC 180cm - TTS
    2017 Voile Supercharger 178cm - Meidjo
    Inbounds:
    2019 Wren 96 184cm - Outlaw X
    2015 PB&J 188cm - Outlaw
    2019 Deathwish 190cm - Outlaw X
    2010 Megawatt 188cm - Inserts for outlaws

    Boots L-R
    1984? Scarpa Fabiano double leathers
    1993 Merrell supercomp
    2009 Scarpa F1 carbon
    2006 Scarpa F1, bolt on duckbutt for NTN
    2015 Scarpa TX pro lower w/ TX cuff
    2017 Crispi Evo World Cup
    Pic no workie; I want to see the F1/ntn mod.

    Also not sure if I should be glad, sad, or ashamed for you for still rocking supercomps.

  22. #4697
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Pic no workie; I want to see the F1/ntn mod.

    Also not sure if I should be glad, sad, or ashamed for you for still rocking supercomps.
    Should be up there now, idk why I can see it when I imbed the photo but you can't.

    You can buy the duckbutts from shapeways 3d printing. A guy made a 3d printing file and uploaded it there. Just search Michael bolt-on duckbutt. Lining them up was tricky. Measure 8 times drill once. The f1 skis really well and is pretty much my main touring boot now.

    The supercomps and Fischer skis are both older than I am, and are for spring time fuckery, showing off, and to get my legs into shape quick. They are also my comp setup for the Smelly Kneepad big mountain leather boot telemark competition. All in the name of fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191215_203550.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	926.6 KB 
ID:	312011  

  23. #4698
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Posts
    1,228
    That’s pretty slick actually. If you’re into that kind of thing. Seems like John Q Teleslayer could fuck that one up pretty easy but it’s gotta be nice to have a boot you like that’s compatible.

    It’s too easy to rag on telemarkers, but I still have a hard time considering NTN to be the pinnacle of technology for such an inherently antiquated discipline. Meidjos just add to that. But it is interesting to see so many people back on teles the last couple years after everyone went to AT and teleing seemed all but dead.

  24. #4699
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    767

    The Quiver Pic Rerun Thread

    The familyís quiver....
    Wife:
    175cm Black Crows Camox
    177cm Icelantic Maiden 111
    179cm 4FRNT Hoji
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AF289AC4-E9DB-4607-9647-086596B909DE.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	312394
    Son (22 yrs old):
    174cm 4FRNT Devastators
    181cm 4FRNT InThayne
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51B3A96E-2150-476D-B5FD-41B618C2DDD6.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	751.6 KB 
ID:	312392
    Son (20 yrs old):
    181cm 4FRNT Inthayne
    186cm 4FRNT Renegade
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	814E75BD-E88F-4F60-B6A4-6109D0B6B825.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	312393
    Daughter (9 yrs old):
    137cm 4FRNT Blondie
    137cm 4FRNT Coyote
    *Marker Free7 bindings added after
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1930.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	312532
    Me:
    180cm J Ski Metal (thinking of a 177cm Black Crows Daemon or Nordica Enforcer 100?)
    180cm Blizzard Rustler 11
    182cm Faction Candide 4.0
    183cm Faction Candide 5.0
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1494.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	312535
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-28-2020 at 12:18 AM.
    _________________________________________________
    I love big dumps.

  25. #4700
    Does anyone know how many posts you need to make so you can create a thread?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •