Page 216 of 236 FirstFirst ... 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 ... LastLast
Results 5,376 to 5,400 of 5879
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMagnet View Post
    You describe what I wanted when grabbing the Wildcat to a T. If you're going to do a 2-ski quiver for resort, you have 1 ski 95-110mm (based on snowfall) that does everything else; 1 stick for the dumps where the only solution is fat, and accept the compromises you have to make on the former to get that usability. Because it's rare to see more than a foot overnight here that was the M102 and Wildcat for me until I found my penchant for being a stickler on performance took over: Now I have a ski for the light dusting days where I want to be in the trees, where the M102's swing weight wears me out and the Wildcat needs to be a pinch shorter.
    That sounds like a great quiver and one I would definitely be happy on myself. I need to get on the 191 M102's badly.

A directional but still very versatile 100-105 combined with a directional but meaningfully more playful 120 does feel like the best way to do a two-ski resort quiver for me personally.

However, it seems I continue to make the mistake of buying skis for the conditions I want more than the conditions I get over a full season, which is why I've somehow ended up in a situation where I'll be choosing between a 105 + 128 quiver or a 115 + 128 quiver this season!
    Last edited by VON; 10-22-2021 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VON View Post
    Attachment 389915
    Resort skier here. My goal has always been to run a two-ski quiver, that'll work anywhere.
    Kastle BMX 105HP has been the narrower ski in my quiver since 2017, but I've never landed on a perfect second ski despite owning and liking many.
    For reference, I'm 34 years old, still in fairly athletic shape, 6'4" 185lbs. Mainly ski Snowbird.

Figured I'd provide some reviews of my quiver to date, and I'm hoping maybe some of you have some experience and recommendations for how to handle the wider slot in a small quiver.

189 BMX 105HP: the only ski I can't seem to let go of, and I'm hoarding them. Carves hardpack extremely well for a 105-ski at very high speeds, which is nice, but not a priority for me as I'll still spend 90% of my time off-trail even during dry spells. It's got a very damp feel and a strong flex everywhere but the final 15%-20% of the ski. It allows one to ski windbuff, chalk, and cruddy snow on lowtide days with complete confidence at speed. Limited energy out of a turn, but it's rock solid and completely predictable no matter how hard you're pushing it, and I find the shape is just perfect for holding edge when you want and releasing when you want. The only place where they can be a handful compared to other options (unsurprisingly) is moguled-up tight spaces, but I think that generally comes with the territory of a -11 mount ski with a very strong tail. However, they were a big step up in maneuverability and float compared to my previous daily driver, which was the 2017 Cochise in 192. The steeper and techier the terrain I'm going to ski, and the less certain I am about the condition of the snow, the higher the chance I'm going to grab the BMX over anything else I've ever owned, regardless of width. And I think that sums up why they're my DD. For resort powder days, the BMX does very well in pure powder but is certainly more locked-in than many more powder specific options, which can limit the fun in truly trenched up conditions.
    This BMX review has me super stoked for the pair I bought over the summer. Cheers!

I've attempted to thin the herd, but I'm still in a similar spot as last year. R11s will likely go away soon.

Potentially not pictured: have my eyes on the Elan Gunbarrel, and maybe the Bent Chetler 120 as a touring pow ski.

Most skis can interchange the STHs. Debating on whether I wanna keep shifts; if I do, I'll probably have them on the MF108s, menace 98s, and Zero Gs; if not I'll interchange something like a radical 2.0 or Ion between the Zero Gs and the MF108s. R11s can take shifts or STHs in the odd chance they stick around. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211026_184244.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	390453

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    After a few additions and subtractions, this is the active quiver for 21/22.
    care to share thoughts on the Bones? I have the '20 model unmounted and curious if I should just sell those & upgrade. I realize it was a major redesign.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    I've attempted to thin the herd, but I'm still in a similar spot as last year. R11s will likely go away soon.

Potentially not pictured: have my eyes on the Elan Gunbarrel, and maybe the Bent Chetler 120 as a touring pow ski.

Most skis can interchange the STHs. Debating on whether I wanna keep shifts; if I do, I'll probably have them on the MF108s, menace 98s, and Zero Gs; if not I'll interchange something like a radical 2.0 or Ion between the Zero Gs and the MF108s. R11s can take shifts or STHs in the odd chance they stick around. Click image for larger version. 

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    If you thin the herd, can I get first dibs on those Gunsmokes?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post

Potentially not pictured: have my eyes on the Elan Gunbarrel
    Click image for larger version. 

What is this Gunbarrel you speak of?
    And what are those red and white 210s?

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    care to share thoughts on the Bones? I have the '20 model unmounted and curious if I should just sell those & upgrade. I realize it was a major redesign.
    My thoughts on the Bonafide are that I can't wait to try them out. I have never skied the Bonafide before, and I had been looking for and older pair as a skinny ski, but these popped up so I jumped on them.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

My thoughts on the Bonafide are that I can't wait to try them out. I have never skied the Bonafide before, and I had been looking for and older pair as a skinny ski, but these popped up so I jumped on them.
    ah, gotcha. missed the fact that they're still in plastic

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Fischer Gunbarrel? Bump ski.

And yeah, what's the gigantic-ass twintip? Folsom?

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Fischer Gunbarrel? Bump ski.

And yeah, what's the gigantic-ass twintip? Folsom?
    Fischer makes a Mogul ski called the Gunbarrel. The big-ass skis are 203 Shiros, just with an "improved" graphic.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    The ski gods have been very good to me the last year.
    Here's the current active rotation.

Attachment 389384
    (L-to-R)
    2013 Katana 183
    OG Bodacious 186

OG Cochise 185
    Would you care to compare the Katana, Bodacious, and Cochise?

The full reverse metal Katana was always a ski I was after, in 177, but I could never find them with the 2012/13 topsheet.

My line-up for this season:

Name:	IMG_1705.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	390763
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Would you care to compare the Katana, Bodacious, and Cochise?
    The full reverse metal Katana was always a ski I was after, in 177, but I could never find them with the 2012/13 topsheet.
    I'm a bad guy for that.
    The Katana's are new to me, last year.
    I tried to put in some days on them, but we've never really clicked.
    I'm going to try to put in more days this year and see if something changes.

I think it's the full rocker profile that I don't care for.
    (And before anyone says I just hate full rocker, I'll note that I love the Volkl 1/2's in the right conditions. Which is, IMO, deep pow, or spring smush. I think they're less ideal going a million miles a hour in heavyish PNW mank. They do remarkably well, but they're never (IMO) going to do that as well as the Cochise's and Bodacious. And the Katana kind of feels similar to the V1/V2.)

The OG Cochise and Bodacious have full contact the whole length and they're just remarkably smooth. The newer Cochise is a little more mincy - it will edge more, but also feels less composed. Still blows up most everything, but it's just a little less stable at the very max.

It's totally possible that I'll get into the Katana more - but there's something about the OG Cochise and Bodacious that feel so dialed and so natural to me that I really suspect I'll never feel the same about the Katana - even though it's an awesome ski, according to some... It's hard to be railing everything in sight on a good day, and then decide to swap out to the Katana and see what you can figure out. It just feels like work that I've not found the resolve to do yet.

Name:	8BB565D4-8B22-4276-AF7A-AFC7F1FECA84.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	778.9 KB 
ID:	390983

Quote Originally Posted by VON View Post
    Attachment 389915

189 Billy Goat: I understand why people love these. Can confirm they're among the best 3D and heavy snow skis out there. Really enjoyed them in trees. Very easy to make little turn adjustments with zero fear of hooking up, and therefore I could ski these crazy fast in steep trees, which was a hoot. But by design, they seem to lack a certain precision that I enjoy to feel in my turns, especially when letting the throttle open in more open terrain. Don't get me wrong, I've had mannnny a great day on them, but ultimately RES tips and pin-tails aren't best aligned to my style or where I ski most.

191 Enforcer 115: impulse buy when I saw them for $300. These are the last version that have 2 sheets of metal in them. My curiosity in these dates back to 2017, when I had to rent skis for a day, and the best option available was some 185 Enforcers. Overall, I was actually very impressed by that ski. Fairly damp, yet surprising energy out of a turn. Shockingly maneuverable in tight places. The deal-breaker for me was the speed limit. It was quite easy for me to fold the tips skiing fast in crud. I could even over flex and then lose the tip in a high speed carve on hard pack. Over the years, I've been told told by multiple people that the Enforcer Pros were heavier and stiffer flexing than the rest of the Enforcer line. Hand-flexing seems to confirm this, so I'm hoping that a more powerful build plus a bit more length might capitalize on the potential of the Enforcer shape that I clearly felt during my 2017 demo.
    Who knows, if they have a similar overall feel to the BMX, but also bring a little extra float and a definite increase in maneuverability, maybe they'll even unseat my BMX for daily driver duty. But that's probably wishful thinking.
    Really curious to hear your impressions of the Enforcer 115, especially since you have also skied a 189 BG. I've had the Enforcer Pro/115 Free for a few years now, but haven't skied it a ton since I live in the PNW and the BG is the perfect tool for the dense PNW snow and tight quarters. That being said, I've never had a bad day on my Enforcer 115's. They do have that extra everything over the Enforcer 110 while still holding on to a bit of that Enforcer easy and playfulness. I particularly like them at Whistler-Blackcomb when there is fresh snow but you need a "resort friendly" ski to get through the chewed up stuff later in the day.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post

Heck of a murder of crows right there!

Just bought some Firebird Competitions myself - pretty amped for them, too.

How do you like your HRC's? What length are they and what's your height/weight?

Name:	IMG_5080.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	391184

This years quiver.

-Resort-
    Whitewalker (pow) w/cast
    JJ (rock skis/pow) w/pivot18
    Enforcer 110 (soft DD) w/warden 13
    Enforcer 104 free (firm DD) w/Warden 13
    Dynastar FIS WC SL (carver) w/look

-Sledskiing or 50/50 travel setups-
    Nocta (deep pow) w/cast
    Whitewalker (pow) w/cast
    Atris (Variable conditions) w/cast

-touring-
    WW (pow) w/atk (not pictured)
    Bent Chetlers (pow) w/ions
    Facelift 108(rock ski) w/kp
    4frnt Raven (variable conditions)w/atk

Tahoe Lab split
    Jones pow surfer

Boot quiver: all with intuition wrap liners
    Lupo SP (resort)
    Lupo HD (sledskiing, 50/50)
    Lupo factory (touring)

Quote Originally Posted by WILLSKIFAST View Post
    Heck of a murder of crows right there!

Just bought some Firebird Competitions myself - pretty amped for them, too.

How do you like your HRC's? What length are they and what's your height/weight?
    thanks! I just got the HRC’s. I’ve never skied them and bought them on a whim. I’m 185 5’10”, I bought a 174, but I bought it strictly for a “work ski”. I have to do some alpine official stuff and there is a 0% chance I’m going to do it on a Corvus. If I was gonna get a pair to ski I would get the 180 without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiwald View Post
    -touring-
    WW (pow) w/atk (not pictured)
    Bent Chetlers (pow) w/ions
    Facelift 108(rock ski) w/kp
    4frnt Raven (variable conditions)w/atk
    Do you have a hard time getting a skin tail clip to attach to the White Walker? The tail is so pointy and rockered, but they look like a really fun touring ski

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Do you have a hard time getting a skin tail clip to attach to the White Walker? The tail is so pointy and rockered, but they look like a really fun touring ski
    Yes, that tail does not work well with most tail clips but G3 makes a twintip tail clip that works well for these. This ski absolutely killed it for me last year. Brought noctas, WW, and chetlers on a sledski trip to cooke city last year and only skied the WW the whole time. Liked the WW so much bought a second pair.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post

That quiver is wicked AF- unbelievable!

Here's my quiver for this season-Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211103_031240299-02.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	692.1 KB 
ID:	391388

179 Liberty V92s with pivtos. I skied these a handful times around opening last year. They are a fun groomer ski, but don't get used much here in the Tetons. They are super easy so ski, so I love em for mellow days with my dad.

188 Rustler 11s with Shifts. Awesome resort and sidecountry ski. They pivot well in 3D snow and hold an edge really well on harpack. They are fairly light, so I use them a lot on sidecountry missions. They have a bit of a speed limit in crud.

190 Moment Deathwish Tour with Voyager bindings. My dedicated backcountry ski, mounted for Zero Gs. Triple camber in the backcountry is beautiful.

190 Moment Deathwish with Shifts. my everyday ski for where I live (Targhee). They float, they pivot, they rail hardpack and hold an edge. I love them so much, but wanted something that maybe has a bit more top end for someone my size (5'11'', 195 lbs).

190 cm Moment Wildcats with Cast bindings. New to the quiver this year and I haven't skies them yet. Will be a sidecountry and pow day ski. Maybe they'll handle chop a bit better than Rustler 11s? Maybe they'll pivot like a Desthwish? Maybe they'll charge a little better in open terrain than other skis in my lineup? I'm hopeful!

Name:	538FB470-DEBB-4F39-AA3A-4677BBBF8532.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	714.9 KB 
ID:	391406

Sold off six skis and bought four over the past year. Funny how I have all marker bindings on the alpine as I used to run just Look. Volkl is a plate and only uses marker, Jesters were $50 and worked fine. One pair of griffons was bought with shop consignment money and went with second as cheap and can backup in a pinch.

188 Volkl P50 Bought these back when cupolo sport used to unload skis. Think they were $39. First pair of bindings were demo plates and stack height was scary. Free bindings off the board and tossed the demos out to the community for free. Had the skis about 14 years.

185 Nordica Enforcers Heard about these on the board selling in Tahoe for $299 nine years ago. Multiple repaired core shots and a compressed edge has placed these solidly in the rock ski category. Love this ski.

186 Nordica Enforcer 104. Thanks ptex1 for these. Just three lift served powder days last year, but they were a ton of fun. I had the griffon ID binding checked with my touring boots and they passed. I can now bring two travel skis and one pair of boots

180 Blizzard Brahma Bought used off the board. If the Enforcer had a powder child and a front side child, the 104 and Brahma would be them. I didn’t realize how played the enforcers were until I got on these.

180 Blizzard 105 0g My Vipecs had their third binding failure on my 108 0g. These are their replacements. Sure hope they ski as well. ATK fr14

177 Down LD90 With the 108 0g being knocked out of commission early these became my bc skis. Great in Spring conditions, struggled some in our less than ideal snow conditions last year. BD Helio 350 with stomp pad.

168 Icelandic Nomad. These were my first skis with tech bindings. Bought from D structure in San Francisco thirteen years ago. They are a custom top sheet by N8 van Dyke on Icelandic Nomads. Moved on and sold the Dynafit Verticals. The speed turns came available and they have been back in the rotation as early season rock skis. G3 Alpinist skins still kicking it, although the rug separated from the glue backing for six inches back from tip. Aqua seal for the win. Speed turns with radical toe plates and old heel covers and B n D volcanoes.

Grandfather’s Hickory skis and Dover bindings. Thought about trying, but don’t want to wreck them.

200 Karhu xcd my metal edge xc skis for the last 15 years

Not a wow quiver by any means, but happy with it. Basically a skinny and fat resort/touring with old rock skis for each.

Back in the closet they go

L-R, cross post from the Dstar thread.

Sd105 187 - DD, hauling ass. Mounted with cast 1st gen, 920s, but moving those to the Iggies, these will get p18s. R37-40m (approx)
    LP105 192 - Reserve, unmounted R27m.
    Sd105 202 - hauling ass, sth16 steels. R43m.
    Big Dump 192 - hmm. More ass hauling, deeper snow than the 202s,I guess? Didn't need, but there was a want involved. Getting steels. R38m.
    Sd105 187 - redundancy
    Cd114 ltd - gave them to a friend, getting mounted with Rottefellas. R25m
    Praxis Petite 163 - wife's, sth14s. Theres an accidental mount for my bsl on them, so might be used for skiing with the kids. Pretty fun skis. #3 flex that short is much like wielding snowblades, but can hold an edge really well none the less. R14m or so
    Igneous custom skis 195, only for touring and lighter pow. Less than 2kg/ski, will get the aforementioned Casts. R50-54m. Proof positive that a nearly straight sidecut can be very easy to ski. All in the flex, baby!

Boots: keeping a pair of cochise 130s as loaners, otherwise lupo pro hds and FT Seths for me, FT Drop kicks for the wife.

Sent fra min LYA-L29 via Tapatalk

The Quiver Pic Rerun Thread

I think I have a problem then see some posted here.

Name:	IMG_1183.JPG 
Views:	301 
Size:	193.6 KB 
ID:	391752

SMAX 192 Skate ski
    185 RMU Apostles w/dynafits rock touring, these need to be retired, bindings may end up FS soon
    188 BD Converts FT12's. - Touring
    183 Praxis MVP 916, rock skis, fun sunny hard snow days off piste
    186 Dynastar Race Room Legend Pro's with Inspired Big Nobis topsheets w/P18 - Once a year or so groomer ripping.
    189 Kastle FX95 w/PX15 Race - groomer days
    186 Blizzard Cochise w/PX15 Race - Charging, crud slayer, ripper
    190 Moment Wildcat w/p14 - Just picked these up today, bindings may stay, or they may get something else I have downstairs, depending. not sure where these will slot into the quiver.
    192 Armada ARV JJ w/P15 Race - Pow (wildcats may replace)
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    I think I have a problem then see some posted here.

Name:	IMG_1183.JPG 
Views:	301 
Size:	193.6 KB 
ID:	391752

SMAX 192 Skate ski
    185 RMU Apostles w/dynafits rock touring, these need to be retired, bindings may end up FS soon
    188 BD Converts FT12's. - Touring
    183 Praxis MVP 916, rock skis, fun sunny hard snow days off piste
    186 Dynastar Race Room Legend Pro's with Inspired Big Nobis topsheets w/P18 - Once a year or so groomer ripping.
    189 Kastle FX95 w/PX15 Race - groomer days
    186 Blizzard Cochise w/PX15 Race - Charging, crud slayer, ripper
    190 Moment Wildcat w/p14 - Just picked these up today, bindings may stay, or they may get something else I have downstairs, depending. not sure where these will slot into the quiver.
    192 Armada ARV JJ w/P15 Race - Pow (wildcats may replace)
    The ARV JJs are just so much fun in spring corn/slush