Page 210 of 236 FirstFirst ... 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 ... LastLast
Results 5,226 to 5,250 of 5879
    Summer Update: Added Declivity X for cheap after all the good things I read. Thx Xavier, Mr Pretzel, and others. Hard to find info on this ski, but I feel pretty good about this one without demoing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0287.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	378585

Sick dude! That combined with the BG is definitely a killer combo for you.
    Excited for your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Sick dude! That combined with the BG is definitely a killer combo for you.
    Excited for your thoughts
    Thanks for all the info bro, I bothered a few other people too lol. Hope we can ski sometime. Declivity is beefy, you guys were right! It seems pretty racey, which is what I wanted to contrast the BG. Seems like a nice blend between the BG and Pro Rider for me, which fits right in.

Name:	AA5E2105-A7A4-44FC-855D-F1C65CD8EB33.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	669.5 KB 
ID:	380494

Not sure what's up with the angle; the pic is straight up on my phone.

Top to bottom:
    - Older 189 Pontoons with Dukes. I got these to hopefully use this season with snowmachiner friends taking me out; the Dukes will allow me to reposition as needed, or just go if I get really motivated.
    - Spatulas. I got these to ski, not put on a wall. I was planning on actually getting some Dukes for these, but I got lucky in that they came with Looks that are still indemnified; or at least not NOT indemnified. Plus they were already set for my boots! I just had to increase the DIN. The guy I bought them from said he was keeping another set that were some kind of prototype, that are shorter than 186 (but still have the same graphics, so not the really rare made-in-Colorado full cap prototypes).
    - 175 Machete FB. I bought these on a whim, but they really do crush in their element, which has set me off in search of some 185s.
    - 193 Machete McG (Gravity). These I got to use as my normal go-to ski from here on out. Just got bindings on them as last season was ending, but they were essentially unskied; nor more than a few days on them. They had tele bindings.
    -187 Machete McG, bought as a last-season's demo in October of 2001. These created my love for the steel Volant, but after many many many seasons and days throughout the northeast, a week in Colorado, and skiing back home in Alaska, the tails are broken, the base on one side started to peel, and they're delaminating at the tips, tails, and in one really bad spot under a heel. They are technically still skiable, but who knows for how long.
    - 183 Machete McG, bought this year from the same seller as the FBs. They'd had bindings mounted and removed, but were otherwise NOS. They still had factory stickers underneath one of the tips. But, I could definitely tell I was missing a few centimeters. Now that I have the 193s, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with these.
    -185 Machete G (Gravity). Interesting ski; I'd guess that these were made in the summer/fall of '01 for the '01-'02 season, which was shut down circa September of '01 when the .com investor pulled out and sent Volant to the gutter. I've only seen a few pics of the Machetes that share the features on this one: full steel cap (like other Colorado skis rather than the Atomic versions made in Austria), polished (not brushed like the earlier Machetes, but the Austian skis are all polished)), embossing (G, Huckster, 69--also similar to the Austian skis), black base with red inset (reversed from the other Colorado Machetes with the same pattern, but similar to the Austrian skis in terms of color choice). They're shiny, and I like them. These may just be for bluebird days when I want to blind people.
    - 5th Element blades for use when teaching my kids to ski. These were actually perfect for that task; made grabbing them on the pony tow and standing them back up much easier, and they're actually kinda fun to goof around on at the in-town bunny hill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9F9E2A64-54A1-43B4-9A84-CC22056DB334.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	675.1 KB 
ID:	380492  
    Last edited by Alaska-RWC; 07-25-2021 at 10:33 PM.

^^^ awesome. And shiny.

I miss my spatulas. I have powder boards now, which are fun, but nothing beats the spatulas for "loose".

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by AEV View Post
    Attachment 374427

Attachment 374428

Thicc snow part of the quiver is now complete.

edit: whoops, I swapped the skis orientation between pictures. I'm an idiot.

I feel like these two skis are for very similar type days. How would you compare these two and what kind of conditions would you grab one vs the other???

Name:	IMG_4944.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	380748

The current quiver....

Mine
    Volkl RTM 80's for hard snow groomer days
    Kastle TCX 03's for opening/closing party days
    Kastle FX 94 "Davs" for early/late season all-mtn days (still such a great ski)
    Rossi S7's for pow days (these are due for a replacement - strongly considering the ON3P BG118's)
    Salomon QST106 as mid season daily driver and touring

The wife's
    Rossi Soul7HDW for pow days
    Blizzard Black Pearl 88's for groomer days

Quote Originally Posted by WILLSKIFAST View Post
    I feel like these two skis are for very similar type days. How would you compare these two and what kind of conditions would you grab one vs the other???
    BGs are significantly more directional and versatile. The ARGs can still ski fast, but you gotta stay more balanced. You gotta be careful of over driving the BGs too, but they can be driven a lot more than ARGs. Most importantly, BGs can handle variable snow conditions much better, whereas ARGs are really for the deeper days with 7-8" or more.

I bought both specifically for coastal snow. They both work well in lighter, drier snow too, but I think they really shine brightest in the higher water content stuff.

I think the BGs are a great replacement for your S7s. They share a lot of similar characteristics IMO, just the BGs are better at everything a powder ski is meant for. The BGs will be more stable than S7s, but not much harder to ski. The S7s are a bit more versatile, but not by much..and you have thinner skis so the BG is no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by AEvospace View Post
    BGs are significantly more directional and versatile. The ARGs can still ski fast, but you gotta stay more balanced. You gotta be careful of over driving the BGs too, but they can be driven a lot more than ARGs. Most importantly, BGs can handle variable snow conditions much better, whereas ARGs are really for the deeper days with 7-8" or more.

I bought both specifically for coastal snow. They both work well in lighter, drier snow too, but I think they really shine brightest in the higher water content stuff.

I think the BGs are a great replacement for your S7s. They share a lot of similar characteristics IMO, just the BGs are better at everything a powder ski is meant for. The BGs will be more stable than S7s, but not much harder to ski. The S7s are a bit more versatile, but not by much..and you have thinner skis so the BG is no brainer.
    This is great feedback. Thanks a ton!

Quote Originally Posted by WILLSKIFAST View Post
    This is great feedback. Thanks a ton!
    I feel like I was kind of ragging on the ARGs, when in fact they are my favorite skis. They have more wow-factor than any other ski I've skied..but only when used in the right conditions. They do not get nearly as much use as BGs, or well at least my last pair didn't. If you need a deep day ski though, I highly recommend the ARGs or other R/R shapes

I feel like I was kind of ragging on the ARGs, when in fact they are my favorite skis. They have more wow-factor than any other ski I've skied..but only when used in the right conditions. They do not get nearly as much use as BGs, or well at least my last pair didn't. If you need a deep day ski though, I highly recommend the ARGs or other R/R shapes
    Very interesting. I've never been on an ARG...seems like a really fun ride for the right day. I have to admit, I did not know the difference beetween the ARG and the JJ until just a few mins ago. Def thought they were the same ski. oh how WRONG i was.

Anyway, interestingly enough, I always felt like the ski that would match my S7's most closely would be the JJ since it's almost an identical shape, and I almost never brought the 7's out over the QST106's unless there was 8"+ new since the 106's handles most every condition other than super deep days with ease. Been going back and forth in my head for longer than I'd care to admit between going with a BG or a JJ. Part of me is a little concerned that the BG could be too much ski for me, but so many folks rave about how easily the BG's pivot in the steep. The extra durable materials they're built with (and the matching colorway to my whole getup) has me leaning toward BG. Been lurking in these threads searching for the one comment that would push me over the edge and pull the damn trigger on SOMETHING....cuz those 2010 S7's are overcooked noodles at this point. This chef needs a new knife to cook pow with.

I just can't wait for this thread to start picking back up

Name:	monsters and wren comps.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	479.2 KB 
ID:	381212

Part of my quiver from 2016-2017. I wish companies still made skis like this nowadays. I'd pay retail $$

Part of my quiver from 2016-2017. I wish companies still made skis like this nowadays. I'd pay retail $$
    Technology and the times have passed these by. A bit more dynamic ski style and a LOT of skis will do the same thing and are a lot lighter, and easier to ski.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Technology and the times have passed these by. A bit more dynamic ski style and a LOT of skis will do the same thing and are a lot lighter, and easier to ski.

Idk, the Blister Podcast with that guy talking about Head Monster 108 compared to the new Katana 108 and Cochise 106, didn't make it seem like that new tech was much better. Just different.

More dynamic style in smooth, wide open terrain? Like the upper mountain of Mammoth or something.. Not for me. I have smaller skis for when I want to ski like that. I like having a super charger in the quiver.

Big athletic guys such as yourself should have no problem skiing those dynamically. None whatsoever. Huge moguls suck, but they're doable, and other than that or tight trees idk..

The Monsters had some of the best tech I've felt in terms of weight placement. They were super heavy, but the swingweight didn't kill you after a day of skiing dynamically. They were much more versatile skis IMO, than the modern Dynastar Pro Riders that were re-released.

I have yet to find skis as fast as old Katanas, Monsters or those Wren Comps. I will give the Katana 108 and Cochise 106 a chance, but I don't see how they could be more conducive of speed, unless through moguls/trees.

Where are you considering moving to? Come to Tahoe!

A fleabay seller had monster 108s (the green ones) in 184 and 177 on firesale late last season. Was accepting offers of ~$200-215. Not sure if there are any left on ebay or what length you want but a WTB post on gs may be worth doing.

I don't have any hopes of finding the rare 191s. I know people that have backups (cough, Tuco). People don't sell those. Mostly because people didn't buy them. I fully understand why companies got rid of them. I just wish they'd do reruns like Dynastar.

SkiBrd, you are right on one hand though too. I get what you are saying. A dynamic ski is capable of quite a bit under the right feet. As seen with the Mfree 108, in Verbier under Reine Barkered this year.
    Last edited by AEvospace; 08-01-2021 at 09:46 PM.

Not true! Some of us don't want to replace our balsatech skis annually!
    I see people commenting here all the time about wishing these newer skis had more heft for resort use.
    I bet you've never skied either of those skis pictured.

Haven’t skied them. Spent part of a winter on LP105s, close enough?

Some of the balsatech suck, we know, others are fine. I can out ski those skis just fine on my Sender Squads or Blanks. Two very different skis doing the same thing just as well. If you are athletic and can ski, you should be able to ski both a big charger or a more dynamic ski and keep up. It’s literally a coin flip if I prefer the Blanks, Sender Squads, or MX 98s. None of those three you need to replace every year.

I’m not moving to Tahoe. Why would I go somewhere it doesn’t snow in the winter so you can’t ski pow and summers are smoky so you can’t ride bikes. Never less houses are insane…. Probably moving back east then taking trips to JH.

I was kinda excited to see where ski technology had evolved to between my '01 Volant Machete McG and the '17-'18 ski season. I demo'd at least 5 different skis that year and couldn't find anything that could touch the Machete. Sure, all had better float by very nature of the narrowness of the McG, but they all fell on their faces in some other crucial category. Some couldn't hold an edge just trying to stand in some icy hard-pack, I think it was the Rossignols that were doing pretty good until I got them up to speed and they had uncontrollable chatter, and I wasn't even going fast yet. The new skis were tossing me around in crud that the stainless steel didn't even notice. I finally had a ski tech tell me that I won't ever find another ski again that will run the way the Machetes did.

The next season was shorter for me and I was in Juneau, so I didn't have access to performance demos. I just rented whatever at Eagle Crest, and it was kinda fun to be on another "new" ski which was incredibly forgiving and really handled the terrain I threw at it pretty well, but it had a speed limit like I've never experienced before. No thank you.

I'm sold on the steel.

Since we went there, now I feel the need to respond with..I would much rather deal with the "dry" 300 inch years in Tahoe, rather than live back east. What's a big year back there? Jeeez.

We get some huge snowfall years here, sometimes well over 600 and sometimes 700 inches. I lived in Jackson during a big year before, for the full season, and it wasn't as much snow. Jackson has better quality snow though, and terrain.. Plus, I'd rather ski terrain like Mammoth and Squaw on a low snow year than anything in the east on a good year. Plus Plus we ski until July while we mountain bike and swim in the lake, and hang out in the big cities.

I say this, while I also want to get out of here. But the only places I would want to go would be Whistler, Jackson, or Chamonix.

Back to the skis, The LP105s are less ski than the 191 Monster 108s. Significantly lighter and softer. My LPs feel more locked in, but that's about the only place they feel burlier, and I think mine actually have a tune issue. If I can solve that, and they loosen up, they will be great skis, and I'll stop bitching about not having a Monster. However they will never be Monsters.

How do the MX98s compare?

The Quiver Pic Rerun Thread

I miss racing sailboats, and want to drive my own big boat. Simplest answer is I can’t do that pretty that anywhere out west. Plus I like Buffalo. There is more then big snow winters in my future. Time to step back a bit from my brain being programmed 24/7 about skiing and concentrate on setting down roots. I’m ok with that.

Let’s be clear, Tahoe is lucky to get 300in in 7 months, usually it’s a bunch less, then once every 7-10 years you get 1 or 2 huge storms that are so unstable you can’t go skiing, but let’s the resorts claim 700+ inches of snow. I’ll call BS where I see it. Sorry, I know Tahoe is the works greatest place to live according to my sister, but I don’t see it. The draw of being close to big cities is over for me, been there, done that. Granted Jackson plays games with the snow number too, whatever, the numbers all marketing bullshit, the snow speaks for it self.

I’d move to Whistler, Cham or Jackson if I could get a job that pays well enough, but I don’t so I’m looking elsewhere.

Where I’ll move depends on where I can get a job. Im looking in a lot of places and I’ll see what I can get my hands on, then decide from there.

If the Monster 108s are that big and heavy, count me out. I don’t need or want that. I spend WAY too much time hiking away from lifts to carry around an extra few pounds of skis if I’m happy with the Blanks, Sender Squads, BMX 115, or MX98s (red tip not the current version). Same reason as to why a bunch of my Pivot 18s became P14s, save weight.

The MX98s are damp and easy to ski. You can fly around on them and they just truck.

I mean it when I say the Monster 108s(110mm underfoot for the 191) were my favorite skis ever. If you ever get a chance to try them, please do it. They are meant for someone like you. They had great weight placement tech to make them feel much lighter on your feet than LP105s do, even though they were almost 2800g/pair. I believe the big old Bodacious were around that weight and a lot of great skiers loved those in and out of resort boundaries.

Wish I could sail, but I definitely feel you on the big boat thing. Idk how big you're talking, I want a 30-39'. I can see myself spending June-November most years in Miami, and just leave in the winter to ski, whether Tahoe or wherever. That sounds nice.

I feel like I've read somewhere that the big MX98s are 2400g/ski? That's plenty, while still being light enough to throw around all day, every day. Those seem fun. Do they make the big size anymore?
    Last edited by AEvospace; 08-03-2021 at 12:48 PM.

Haven’t skied them. Spent part of a winter on LP105s, close enough?

Some of the balsatech suck, we know, others are fine. I can out ski those skis just fine on my Sender Squads or Blanks. Two very different skis doing the same thing just as well. If you are athletic and can ski, you should be able to ski both a big charger or a more dynamic ski and keep up. It’s literally a coin flip if I prefer the Blanks, Sender Squads, or MX 98s. None of those three you need to replace every year.

I’m not moving to Tahoe. Why would I go somewhere it doesn’t snow in the winter so you can’t ski pow and summers are smoky so you can’t ride bikes. Never less houses are insane…. Probably moving back east then taking trips to JH.

Don't know, never skied LP105s
    Haven't skied the others you mentioned either, so I will reserve judgement(see what I did there)

I miss racing sailboats, and want to drive my own big boat. Simplest answer is I can’t do that pretty that anywhere out west. Plus I like Buffalo. There is more then big snow winters in my future. Time to step back a bit from my brain being programmed 24/7 about skiing and concentrate on setting down roots. I’m ok with that.

Let’s be clear, Tahoe is lucky to get 300in in 7 months, usually it’s a bunch less, then once every 7-10 years you get 1 or 2 huge storms that are so unstable you can’t go skiing, but let’s the resorts claim 700+ inches of snow. I’ll call BS where I see it. Sorry, I know Tahoe is the works greatest place to live according to my sister, but I don’t see it. The draw of being close to big cities is over for me, been there, done that. Granted Jackson plays games with the snow number too, whatever, the numbers all marketing bullshit, the snow speaks for it self.

I’d move to Whistler, Cham or Jackson if I could get a job that pays well enough, but I don’t so I’m looking elsewhere.

Where I’ll move depends on where I can get a job. Im looking in a lot of places and I’ll see what I can get my hands on, then decide from there.

If the Monster 108s are that big and heavy, count me out. I don’t need or want that. I spend WAY too much time hiking away from lifts to carry around an extra few pounds of skis if I’m happy with the Blanks, Sender Squads, BMX 115, or MX98s (red tip not the current version). Same reason as to why a bunch of my Pivot 18s became P14s, save weight.

The MX98s are damp and easy to ski. You can fly around on them and they just truck.

Monsters 108 are quite similar to MX98.
    They're a bit heavier (2720g in 191), and a bit stiffer, especially the front end. They're damp too, in an other way than MX98. They require more input (or weight) to be bend so initiating a turn is a little more demanding. If you are a 180+lbs guy this is not a problem. If not you'll have to be athletic.
    On well prepared groomers, iced or not, MX 98 are easier to ski and a bit more lively. In moguls or shitty snow (what we ski the most here in Chamonix), despite their extra stiffness, Monsters are easier to ski due to more tolerant back end, less tricky.