Yo La Tengo Live...

...does not suck. At all...

Tonight's "Pass the Hatchet, I Think I'm Goodkind" made me feel like my skull was violated until the rubber broke.

If you like music go see this band on this tour. They know what they're doing.
    Thursday, September 17
    Washington DC
    9:30 Club

Friday, September 18
    Durham, NC
    Carolina Theater

Saturday, September 19
    Atlanta, GA
    Variety Playhouse

Monday, September 21
    Asheville, NC
    Orange Peel

Tuesday, September 22
    Knoxville, TN
    Bijou Theatre

Wednesday, September 23
    Louisville, KY
    Headliners Music Hall

Thursday, September 24
    Nelsonville, OH
    Stuart's Opera House

Friday, September 25
    New York City, NY
    Roseland Ballroom
    More: http://www.yolatengo.com/schedule.html
    Roseland would be sick.
    Last edited by Tippster; 09-18-2009 at 10:27 AM.

theyve been on my to-see list for, oh, about 10 years. some day. do they have a live album? anywhere to dl bootlegs?
    i think "cherry chapstick" would be ridic

The ticket was $20. Take a chance. Live a little.

People, you need to go if you can. I caught them some time ago in a little dive in Albuquerque and it was one of the best shows ever. There was this one long jam that was transcendent - tore the place up. They might play "Pass The Hatchet, I Think I'm Goodkind." Maybe I can run up to Aspen to catch the show.

Are they still touring after all those people died at their last show in Jersey?

ylt live: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=112824244

just started listening...

Set list from last night:

Here To Fall
    More Stars Than There Are In Heaven
    Autumn Sweater
    Let's Save Tony Orlando's House
    Periodically Double Or Triple
    Avalon Or Someone Very Similar
    Beanbag Chair
    If It's True
    I'm On My Way
    When It's Dark
    Watch Out for Me, Ronnie
    Decora
    Nothing to Hide
    Tom Courtenay
    Pass the Hatchet, I Think I'm Goodkind

Encore:
    1 PM Again
    Nervous Breakdown (Black Flag cover)
    Sugarcube

Encore 2:
    Firecracker (Half Japanese cover)
    Detouring America With Horns
    Farmer's Daughter

They are great live. Were they taking questions from the audience? Last time I saw them they did a kind of open Q & A format where someone would yell out a question, then someone (usually Ira Kaplan) would talk for a while, then whatever they were talking about would sort of remind them of a song, so they would play that song. It was cool.

I saw them a few years back. Good show. Luckily, I survived.

37 Record-Store Clerks Feared Dead In Yo La Tengo Concert Disaster

April 10, 2002 | Issue 38•13
    Article Tools

ATHENS, GA—Thirty-seven record-store clerks are missing and feared dead in the aftermath of a partial roof collapse during a Yo La Tengo concert Monday.

Dazed record-store clerks stagger away from the scene of the roof collapse.

"We're trying our best to rescue these clerks, but, realistically, there's not a lot of hope," said emergency worker Len Guzman, standing outside the 40 Watt Club, where the tragedy occurred. "These people are simply not in the physical condition to survive this sort of trauma. It's just a twisted mass of black-frame glasses and ironic Girl Scouts T-shirts in there."

Also believed to be among the missing are seven freelance rock critics, five vinyl junkies, two 'zine publishers, an art-school dropout, and a college-radio DJ.

The collapse occurred approximately 30 minutes into the Hoboken, NJ, band's set, when a poorly installed rooftop heating-and-cooling unit came loose and crashed through the roof, bringing several massive steel beams down with it.

Andy Ringler, an assistant manager at Wuxtry Records, sustained head trauma when he ran back into the building to rescue a fellow clerk.

"I just had to help," said Ringler, listed in stable condition at a nearby hospital. "I saw all these people coming out bleeding and dazed. I gave up my vintage Galaxie 500 shirt just to help some guy bandage his arm. It was horrible."

Added Ringler: "I just pray they can somehow get this club rebuilt in time for next month's Dismemberment Plan/Death Cab For Cutie show. That's a fantastic double bill."

Joe Gaer was among the lucky record-store clerks who escaped unscathed.

Enlarge Image Clerks jump

Some of the missing clerks from Monday's Yo La Tengo show.

"I was in the bathroom when it happened," said Gaer, a part-time cashier at School Kids Records. "There was this loud crashing sound, followed by even louder crashing, and then all these screams. If I hadn't left to take a leak during 'Moby Octopad'—to be honest, never one of my favorite songs on I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One—I'd probably be among the dead."

"It's just tragic," Gaer continued. "I heard they were going to play Daniel Johnston's 'Speeding Motorcycle.' They almost never do that one live."

Devastated by the disaster, Athens record-store owners are still holding out hope that their employees are still alive.

"All I can do is wait and pray they'll find them," said Bert's Discount Records owner Bert Halyard, who lost clerks Todd Fischer and Dan Harris in the collapse. "They were going to start an experimental/math-rock band together. Dan had a really nice Moog synthesizer and an original pressing of the first Squirrel Bait EP."

As of press time, police and emergency rescue workers were still sifting through the wreckage for copies of Magnet, heated debates over the definition of emo, and other signs of record-store-clerk life.

"I haven't seen this much senseless hipster carnage since the Great Sebadoh Fire Of '93," said rescue worker Larry Kolterman, finding a green-and-gold suede Puma sneaker in the rubble. "It's such a shame that all those bastions of indie-rock geekitude had to go in their prime. Their cries of 'sellout' have been forever silenced."

Walla Walla! Spend 2 perfect summer days full of music, wine, & food at Stella's Homestead for Huichica Music Festival. FREE entry for kids ages 12 & under. Featuring performances from YOLATENGO, Allah-Las, & more. Tickets on sale now - see you there! www.huichica.com #WallaWalla #Huichica
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

FKNA!

That's a really nice lineup! I didn't know D. Berman had resurfaced with a new band. I thought he was still hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    They are great live. Were they taking questions from the audience? Last time I saw them they did a kind of open Q & A format where someone would yell out a question, then someone (usually Ira Kaplan) would talk for a while, then whatever they were talking about would sort of remind them of a song, so they would play that song. It was cool.
    From the (current) concert schedule page, though it may not apply to the W2 show:
    Tour: The Freewheeling Yo La Tengo: That which we’ve all agreed to term “acoustic,” although there is copious use of electricity. No set list; instead the audience is encouraged (if not required) to interact with the band, leading we’re never quite sure where.
    Looking at that schedule, I’d like to go to the Big Sur show on 9/21.

While it's been a spell since I've seen them live, every time I have they were mondo bueno.

They did the "acoustic" Q&A show in Grass Valley a few years ago and I'm still kicking myself for not going...I think it was in the middle of winter and I didn't feel like braving Hwy 20.

Their current tour has them 3 days at The Chapel in San Franciscco, which is a sweet venue. It's an old mortuary chapel, is kind of small, and has great acoustics/sound (I saw Mercury Rev there last year and they were tear inducing--i.e. amazing--).

Their album PAINFUL is one of my favorite albums of all time, regardless of genre. It's a great double-listen with Flaming Lips' Hit To Death In The Future Head, fwiw.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en