Question for Mac junkies

My friend just bought a new iPod and it wouldn't work. I looked at it and she ran into a problem because it requires iTunes 8 which in turn requires OS X 10.4 (tiger). She is using an old PowerBook G4 and hasn't upgraded since she got the computer and is running 10.3.9.

I tried to install Snow Leopard in it when I upgraded my MacBook but she doesn't meet the RAM requirements (not even close, req 1gb and it has 768mb).

So, any recommendations for getting iTunes to work? Does anyone have an old copy of 10.4 lying around their man cave?

Thanks
    Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.

Snow leopard won't work because it's only for intel based processors.
    Did you check the downloads section of apples website?

Leopard should work on her system. That is the newest OS that supports PPC based systems, like her PowerBook G4.

I have a retail copy of 10.4 for PPC laying around somewhere in my house. If I find a blank disc, I'll make a copy and send it your way.

there are some mods to fool the installers into thinking you have X ram, X processor speed etc.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Here are the system requirements for Leopard:

Processor must be any Intel, PowerPC G5 or G4 (867 MHz and faster)
    DVD drive (for installation of the operating system)
    At least 512 MB of RAM (additional RAM (1 GB) is recommended for development purposes)
    At least 9 GB of disk space available.

That said, Tiger was a great OS. Huge step up from 10.3.x.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

you don't need a disk drive if you have it on an external and carbon clone it, i guess it all depends on how badly you want it.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

snow leopard was the first OS that required an intel core...leopard will work, snow leopard wont. 10.4 is your best bet.

10.4 is slower than than 10.3 on older G4 machines. I upgraded for similar reasons, but it is definitely not optimized for older machines and she will probably noticed some loss of speed when entering text into dialog boxes, etc. If she can find a work around I would definitely advise it.

Thanks for the advice.
    Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.