Skype International Calls

Anyone know if this is doable?

Trying to save money for Canadian calls

If I establish a canadian SkypeIn number, which forwards to my cellphone:

They pay nothing because its within country and I pay the .02/minute fee and use minutes on my cellphone

OR

Do I have the long distance charge from my cellphone company because my call is forwarded from a "canadian" skypeIn number?

Any other thoughts for getting around international rates without having to talk through a computer (that doesn;t include Google Voice?)

I don't think you can get a Canadian Skype-in number, I looked into it in June and they didn't then for sure.

The rest confused me, and I've been using Skype for years... I'm new to Canada and just getting my head round the area code system / long distance calls (which is gay compared to Europe). How do you get it to your cell?

In the UK I could have free Skype to my cell but my Skype-In number did not forward to my cell, just went to voicemail (or my laptop if I was logged in).

Skype rocks.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

you can use a costco card for canuck calls

2.9c/minute

I think i got something figured out. For 3.99 I get unlimited America and Canada Calling. This also gets a free "Skype to Go" account. You add numbers to you skype to go account and set up a local number for it. You call the local number and it connects to your numbers for free.

^^ Sounds like a good solution. I have been living away from canada for 2 years and I found the cheapest way to talk was to get a phone with Skype installed on it (Nokia has a couple for sure) and then all of your talk is free. You have to pay for the internet connection but that price depends on your SP (mine was a couple pounds a month I think).

The hardest part is making it cheap for people to call you. I ended up just getting people to text me and I would call them back - cheapest way to do it, but a bit of a pain.

im not sure what you guys are trying to accomplish here but skype does indeed kick ass.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    I think i got something figured out. For 3.99 I get unlimited America and Canada Calling. This also gets a free "Skype to Go" account. You add numbers to you skype to go account and set up a local number for it. You call the local number and it connects to your numbers for free.
    Taaaa-daaaah!

Enjoy.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Skype + an iPhone + a Wifi network = the ultimate combo, free calls from a cell phone to other folks on Skype. Frickin' awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Anyone know if this is doable?

Trying to save money for Canadian calls

If I establish a canadian SkypeIn number, which forwards to my cellphone:

They pay nothing because its within country and I pay the .02/minute fee and use minutes on my cellphone

OR

Do I have the long distance charge from my cellphone company because my call is forwarded from a "canadian" skypeIn number?

Any other thoughts for getting around international rates without having to talk through a computer (that doesn;t include Google Voice?)
    Skype to Skype calls are free – but to call a mobile or landline from Skype, you need a little Skype Credit or a subscription. The price you pay depends on the country you're calling to, not the country you're calling from.

One question is this the same person or location you are calling or a number of different Canadian numbers and persons? There are possible option with VoIP calling plans for unlimited Canada telephone calls on them. If it is the same person or location, you can get a US telephone number and device (such as a MagicJack or Ooma) and send it to Canada to be plugged in and make the US to US telephone number calls back and forth. Google Voice telephone number (and the app on your cell phone or a Obihai device) is also free from the US to Canada....

Quote Originally Posted by harrycallum View Post
    Skype to Skype calls are free – but to call a mobile or landline from Skype, you need a little Skype Credit or a subscription. The price you pay depends on the country you're calling to, not the country you're calling from.
    Two Thousand Fucking Nine...