shoulder popping out - wtf

I've suddenly developed this problem with my shoulder popping out of it's socket just a little and then back in. It's happened 3 times when I've been resting my arm above and behind my head while seated (I have flexible arms).

Anyway it hurts and it's bad. Obviously I've stopped resting my arm that way (it was a habit). It still hurts after it happened twice in one day. I'm taking vitamin I and resting it for now, other than it hurts and makes my arm go numb while bike riding which I am doing just to get around.

I don't know why it's suddenly happening now other than I am 46 y/o and loosing cartilage I guess.

What should I do? If it keeps happening should I go to sports med clinic? I'm guessing after it stops hurting a lot do some strengthening excercises for my shoulder. Anyone here play a physical therapist on TV?

thanks

The sports medicine clinic sounds like a good call if it bothers you much.

That does not sound good. I had similar symptoms after I dislocated my shoulder a couple of times. Sounds like you should get it checked out, I'm pretty sure that each time it goes out and in again you're doing damage to the labrum. Strength exercises might help, but I wouldn't do any serious lifting. Rubber band exercises if anything. Good luck.

My daughter has multiaxial shoulder instability. In other words the tendons of her shoulder are loose and the shoulder pops in and out of joint easily. Surgery could be an option but not desirable, obviously. I have been to enough PT with her and I know all of the exercises she needs to do. After about 2 months of PT her shoulder is starting to get stronger. Here is a link to some of the basic starting exercises.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6MMD5L7498"]YouTube - Rotator Cuff Exercises[/ame]

There are a lot more than just these four. You can look to see if you can find others. If after 6 weeks things don't seem to be getting better I would pony up for a Drs visit. They will then send you to PT.

Good Luck.

Remember, I am not a Dr., but I would like to play one on TV.
    "All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer." Homer Simpson

Oh yeah, Ice and ibuprofen are your friend. Putting you arm in the position where it will dislocate is not.
    "All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer." Homer Simpson

I've had major injury to my shoulder and after surgery/rehab it still pops when I do what you describe. Unlike you though, mine doesn't hurt. Have you messed up your shoulder in the past?

Agree with Zalg - go see a doc who will likely write you an Rx for PT of certain muscles in the rotator cuff. There are four of em in the cuff, and the doc/pt will target just the ones needed to get stability back. Then you can start strengthening all the muscles in the group

Good luck - get 'er done before the snow flies

I had the same problem for a year after a severe dislocation. My issue was a torn labrum. For a whole year I tried to strengthen the tendons (instructions from my ortho doc) but it didnt do the job.

Mine eventually required surgery and some hardware. They screwed eight eye hooks into the ball joint to use as anchors, and tied the tendon back onto the bone. I took my rehab seriously and have had no problems since.

Lifting weights, pull-ups, push-ups, and throwing a tennis ball at the wall did the job.

Good luck! I am a big believer in surgery. You wont regret it.

I believe the recurring dislocations are call "subluxations".....or something like that.

Thanks for the replies.

It seems to be getting better. I already have a torn labrum on the other side so i know all the PT exercises to strengthen the rotator cuff. Next time it pops like that I'll call sports med.

rubber band exercises and pushups actually help too
    Decisions Decisions

Not a Dr. or PT but i've had plenty of shoulder prob's, once the labrum/capsule etc. are torn or loose, they don't tighten back up on their own. Yes, exercising will help support the shoulder when moving or during sports, but that doesn't mean it's harder to dislocate when resting. if your muscles are relaxed, it doesn't matter how strong they are, your shoulder will still slide around. Trust me. You can exercise your shoulder all you want, but when you are resting your shoulder in an unstable position, it is still as loose as it was. Surgery isn't great, but if you have chronic problems with it, do it! I waited 10+ years of loose, sliding shoulder and 3 dislocations to have surgery. I wish i hadn't. it feels better than my "good" shoulder now! No amount of advice makes up for a good Dr. visit!
    "When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
    Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole
    one and prayed for forgiveness." Emo Phillips

I have had 4 shoulder surgeries 3 all on the same shoulder. I would say if you are a hard charging rider that takes some good wrecks beware of the bankhart procedure(the one described below with the anchors reattaching cartilidge). I had one bankhart on my right shoulder when I was 18 after about 20+ dislocations it has been fine since. Then I developed a problem with my left shoulder popping out. I had a bankhart in the summer and dislocated again in the winter. A year and a half later had another bankhart that was supposed to tighten things up more and fix the problem(I was told this was my only option other than joint replacement) next winter popped out again. So I spoke to some different doctors and found out about the latarjet procedure sometimes called bristow-latarjet. This is done more often in europe as a first option, while in the US it is farely rare and used more for revisions. It involves making a bone block on the shoulder socket (the glenoid) to prevent dislocation as well as reconfiguring a bicep tendon as an additional stabilizer. The data shows a much higher sucess rate than the bankhart. I encourage any very active people with shoulder issues to look into the latarjet. I just had it done about 3 1/2 months ago and am feeling good about it. The true test of winter is ahead though. Don't trust doctors!! They don't know everything. Get second and third opinions. If I did I wouldn't be recovering from my third surgery on the same shoulder. Also there are some different shoulder braces out there if your trying to avoid the knife. They help but when you do dislocate with it on it makes it harder to get back in. They really didn't help me a ton but 40% of my shoulder socket was broken away and gone and I've heard of people with more mild shoulder problems having good success with them. The ones I used were the EVS shoulder brace with the extra stabalizing straps and the "Sully" The Sully was a better but 3 times as expensive. Hope this helps anybody with bad shoulders so they can avoid the downtime frustration and medical bills I've had to deal with.

Nice comments. More and more it is being demonstrated that the arthroscopic Bankarts don't work so well on EXTREME athletes, off road motorcyclists especially.

Nowadays, if a guy is a motorcycle racer, rock climber, or heliskier, I go right to the Latajet (coracoid bone block)

The post op pain, disability, or time away from sports is actually shorter-only 3 months.

In Europe where everyone seems to be an elite skier, that is most commonly done procedure.

I don't know about three months. I am 3 months and a week from surgery and I don't feel ready to really go for it yet. Because this was the third surgery on this shoulder they had me in a sling 5 weeks and had me start slow on the rehab. The past 3 weeks I have been in the Gym 4 days a week rehabing as much as possible with out overdoing it. I am a 28 year old male eat well and am extremely active and in very good shape, and still feel like I have a solid two months before I can really go big and take a hard wreck. My PT says I'm doing awesome and there hasn't been any complications. I just don't want people to get there hopes up on quick 3 month recovery. I don't think the extra time in the sling and the little slower start made that big a difference. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    I believe the recurring dislocations are call "subluxations".....or something like that.
    This is correct. I just posted in another thread about my experience with this. Ultimately, it is likely that many people dealing with this have to have surgery. I put it off longer than I should, and the surgery was more complicated than expected. However, the surgery was successful, and I have a shoulder that is now stronger and in better shape than it ever was probably before the injury.