Page 33 of 68 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Thread: 5-13-77

Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

How bout this shot? Is Donna tripping her face off? I think yes!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0072.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	299009
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    There were days
    There were days
    There were days between...
    Workouts

Not that I have any room to talk but just sayin...he's definitely left these days behind though, props to him.

^^^love watching the man in total control—putting on a clinic

^

Best show of the tour imo, only missed Atlanta and the first night in Hartford on the EC before they went to the midwest. We were on the rail directly in front of Weir in the spray zone. I will never forget how amped Jerry was, smiling and dancing around the whole show, especially during Fire. Many memorable moments that night, pretty sure this was the first non Dylan Ballad of a Thin Man (so many verses) and the first To Lay Me Down in 4-5yrs, need to cue this one up tomorrow.

Those years were hot for music. Fleetwood Mac was taking over the world and all kinds over other groups like Journey were erupting with a vigor and, overall, it was pretty fukking exciting. I had become a dead aficiando in college in 73 listening to this:

Jerry with a Telecaster!
    Name:  IMG_0078.JPG
Views: 197
Size:  148.4 KB
    crab in my shoe mouth

Nice find Buttah. Bob is playing a Tele, Jerry is playing Yamaha SC series which I have never seen a shot of before and I don't see it listed on any of the guitar lists I have. Guessing Tiger was in the shop at the time (81-82 maybe based on the pic)? Here is another shot I found but no mention of the year.

I have a similar style 78 D'Agostino that used to be my #1 guitar back in the day but now is in need of some serious work.

Edit, found the info:

https://archive.org/details/gd1981-1...7.95431.flac16

Robert Minkin, who took the above photo, says "Since most of the band’s equipment was on its way to Paris, they played borrowed instruments. Jerry sported a Strat styled Yamaha 1000 sunburst guitar and Weir, a white Fender Telecaster."

Can you imagine being at that show? Holy shit, if you just wandered in and the god damn Grateful Dead was on stage, mindbender!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Can you imagine being at that show? Holy shit, if you just wandered in and the god damn Grateful Dead was on stage, mindbender!
    No shit, right! Walk out of a hash bar baked as hell and head down the street to find music and walk in to this.

DMT lunch break?!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKL2vlGW-AQ

(i wish)

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    No shit, right! Walk out of a hash bar baked as hell and head down the street to find music and walk in to this.
    i've only been listening to the show on archive (FUCK YES!), but this appears to be a video of it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvvYChZTXMw

An absolute gem from 42yrs ago and a great matrix that enhances Jerry Moore's Aud recording that most know this show from. Let It Grow is worth the download on its own and the 2nd set does not disappoint.

https://archive.org/details/gd1977-1...5.29091.flac16

This is amazing, love JG

Quote Originally Posted by cdubski View Post

An absolute gem from 42yrs ago and a great matrix that enhances Jerry Moore's Aud recording that most know this show from. Let It Grow is worth the download on its own and the 2nd set does not disappoint.

I've done a virtual 1977 tour a few different years, where you listen to each show on it's date from 77, but I don't think I've ever done it in November. I'm going to enjoy this one today. Thanks for posting it up.

Homecoming! What a show.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Playing Reprise is the Grateful Dead at their finest. Love it so much, every version is worthy, but this one is top notch. The quiet part right before the explosion is perfect. Thanks for posting this up.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    I've done a virtual 1977 tour a few different years, where you listen to each show on it's date from 77, but I don't think I've ever done it in November. I'm going to enjoy this one today. Thanks for posting it up.
    I try to listen to a show from TIGDH at least once or twice a week and check out a different source from what I have on my hard drive (unless it's a commercial release, Betty or 24bit remix etc.). Woke up at 4:35 this morning and teed this one up, figured it deserved a post.

I agree that one is a classic! Been a while since I listened. Thx!

On another note... I’m stuck roaming LA all week for work and stumbled upon Jerry’s Middle Finger in Long Beach last night. Really good show! If they are in your neighborhood I’d go. The drum kit player is worth the price of admission alone. Everyone else is solid to.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

5-13-77

I try to listen to a show from TIGDH at least once or twice a week and check out a different source from what I have on my hard drive (unless it's a commercial release, Betty or 24bit remix etc.). Woke up at 4:35 this morning and teed this one up, figured it deserved a post.
    That sounds like it (beece approach) requires some planning!

I’m getting thru 86 (show by show in order) after listening to all of 85 in order. But not on the dates of the year themselves.
    I break into other shows occasionally but I’m thinking I might take this until Brent’s last show. I’ve done all of Europe 72 before and various other tours, but this is my longest continuous stretch. Veteran friend of mine (594 shows attended) and I have a lot of bantering about all the differences. If you geek out like we do, it’s nice to notice how the songs, tours, years develop. Makes you appreciate a great taper like oade or Moore, too. I can’t get enough. Did make it out to see wu tang the other night though talk about past your prime

That sounds like it (beece approach) requires some planning!

I’m getting thru 86 (show by show in order) after listening to all of 85 in order. But not on the dates of the year themselves.
    I break into other shows occasionally but I’m thinking I might take this until Brent’s last show. I’ve done all of Europe 72 before and various other tours, but this is my longest continuous stretch. Veteran friend of mine (594 shows attended) and I have a lot of bantering about all the differences. If you geek out like we do, it’s nice to notice how the songs, tours, years develop. Makes you appreciate a great taper like oade or Moore, too. I can’t get enough. Did make it out to see wu tang the other night though talk about past your prime
    Not so much on the planning, just when I have time I pull up what shows were played on any given date (or as close as possible since some months are limited like Jan. and May) and pick one depending on what I've listened to most recently. Sometimes I can get an hour maybe 2 uninterrupted but a lot of the time it's background music while working or doing shit around the house.

I've tried to pick a tour and do it in order (85 is great for that) fairly recently but always end up sidetracked because I'll hear something on xm or see a suggestion posted here or Aldo will send me some random show to check out. I do love how songs, setlists even arrangements change over the course of a tour or from EC to WC, whether by design or just organically. It was always interesting to see how new songs found their eventually sweet spot in the setlist, late 80s early 90s with all those new tunes being played anywhere in the show made for fun guessing on the pre-show picks, even if you knew what was played the previous 4 nights.

I taped 4 shows (Spectrum 3/22-3/24/86 and 4/5/87), none of them well and at least for me, it was not really enjoyable as I felt like I was not fully focused on the show. From that point on I decided to leave it to the pros but I'm glad I at least tried it.

Ha, wu tang, that sounds like an experience for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Minkin posted a great shot of Binghamton today from this date in 77. What a show. In some ways I prefer Fall 77 to spring 77. So many scorching nights

Minkin posted a great shot of Binghamton today from this date in 77. What a show. In some ways I prefer Fall 77 to spring 77. So many scorching nights
    I had no idea Broome County was Binghamton. Listening now. Thanks for the suggestion. I've definitely underlistened to fall 77.

The other fun little game I have is listening to as many versions of a certain song as possible before I go insane. Fun to hear it change if you listen in chronological order. My wife and I listened to Terrapin a few weeks ago for nearly an entire weekend day - till she finally said she'd had enough. It was awesome. I love that song. Maybe the best love song ever written. Certainly the best about unrequited love.