Page 32 of 68 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread: 5-13-77

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    Here's what they were up to the night before. Garcia and Weir on Letterman...

I love that they play a Band cover tune "When I Paint my Masterpiece " on a TV gig to "promote" the new album. Classic.

RIP. His thoughts, words, and rhymes were profound.

Going to plant a weeping willow,
    On the bank's green edge it will grow, grow, grow.
    Sing a lullaby beside the water,
    Lovers come and go, the river roll, roll, roll.

Quote Originally Posted by iamTRuTH View Post
    Amazing contributions to our shared culture.
    RIPower sir

“Sometimes we live no particular way but our own”
    That lyric has got me through some tough decisions, somehow providing direction without providing any direction at all. Grateful. RIP

Yeah, grateful. Thank you Mr. Hunter. For everything.

rip Robert Hunter

I spent a little time on the mountain, I spent a little time on the hill.
    I ski the east.

Bobby, style icon
    BRENT!

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    heh, don't know any of those songs because my last show was in 1990.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post

Bobby, style icon
    BRENT!
    1987 was a good year. This Jack Straw is very hot, love Jerry denying Bobby and just ripping it up. The Mr Fantasy from this show is the best one they ever played.
    And I’m with Danno, only caught 3 shows after Brent died, all 3 sucked! Samba in the Rain is the worst dead song ever. Why would they include that shit on the new release?
    crab in my shoe mouth

Never like Samba. But, I did see a ton of shows post Brent. Quite a few powerful So Many Roads out there that don’t get a chance simply cause people pass up the post Brent era. Have to say I don’t go back and listen to much. More so to target certain sets or songs. I’ll take a listen to Lemieux’s picks! Not gonna drop cash on it tho.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Definitely a deep dig to find much worth spending the time on in 94-95 but that David picked the best there is would certainly be no surprise. Plenty of shows in the Bruce era that are well worth the time though, 12/13/90, 6/14/91 and 6/17/91 immediately come to mind along with the Sept 90 MSG run, so much playful back and forth interplay between Jerry and Bruce throughout those shows. Same can be found in many of the Oct. Euro tour, seems like the whole band was relaxed (sometimes too much maybe) and where Bruce regularly started to assert himself taking solos without prompting from Jerry, 10/20 is a good example that I often go to from the run.

I am no fan of Samba but imo, Day Job will always hold the title for the song I had no interest in hearing...even more than Corrina, and that's saying something.

5-13-77

Corrina is actually a good song, and well, so to is Day Job. Tidy little rocker to end the night and whatnot. Huh
    I agree about the Hornsby era, those are good shows. I especially like Phil’s tone during that timeframe. Wish I had caught some of those. I was devastated when Brent died, loved that little fucker.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    Plenty of shows in the Bruce era that are well worth the time though, 12/13/90, 6/14/91 and 6/17/91 immediately come to mind...
    Agreed... I saw a fair number of shows in 90/91 between ski bumming in Colorado and kayak guiding in Maine. I was at the 12/13/90 in Denver and the 6/17/91 with Little Feat in the rain. Good times in my prime, if not the bands prime.

I didn't quit in 1990 because Brent died or because the music had gone downhill, I quit before that, because I had gotten really tired of what the scene had become.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I didn't quit in 1990 because Brent died or because the music had gone downhill, I quit before that, because I had gotten really tired of what the scene had become.
    Shit went downhill as soon as Ann Coulter and Tucker Carlson showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Corrina is actually a good song, and well, so to is Day Job. Tidy little rocker to end the night and whatnot. Huh
    I agree about the Hornsby era, those are good shows. I especially like Phil’s tone during that timeframe. Wish I had caught some of those. I was devastated when Brent died, loved that little fucker.
    Maybe it's just me but I can't get past Vince's repetitive keyboard riff in Corrina. Seemed like every other show you saw in 92-93 had one (20x out of 55 shows in 92) and outside of the into drums spot where it occasionally got jammed out it was generally uninteresting to me. At least Phil adds some solid vocal harmonies I guess and the short little bridge breakdown is decent. As far as Day Job goes, you can keep it, laps!

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Never like Samba. But, I did see a ton of shows post Brent. Quite a few powerful So Many Roads out there that don’t get a chance simply cause people pass up the post Brent era. Have to say I don’t go back and listen to much. More so to target certain sets or songs. I’ll take a listen to Lemieux’s picks! Not gonna drop cash on it tho.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Had a So Many Roads sticker on my Explorer for much of the 90s & def remember it well from my last show in Vegas.

As far as the later songs go, I’ll put in a plug for Days Between. I think Hunter outdid himself on that one. Musically it was kinda strong as well. Too bad they didn’t have another 5 years with it to figure out what it wanted to be.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

This is interesting, although is skips and entire decade at the end.

https://youtu.be/GzVCAPB9uX8

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    As far as the later songs go, I’ll put in a plug for Days Between. I think Hunter outdid himself on that one. Musically it was kinda strong as well. Too bad they didn’t have another 5 years with it to figure out what it wanted to be.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    yup

There were days
    And there were days
    And there were days I know
    When all we ever wanted
    Was to learn and love and grow
    Once we grew into our shoes
    We told them where to go
    Walked halfway around the world
    On promise of the glow
    Walked upon a mountain top