Page 58 of 68 FirstFirst ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 1691

Thread: 5-13-77

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Did anyone in the band ever take up skiing, Bobby maybe?
    Not that I’ve ever heard of.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1669986438.557790.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	436315

That is a very cool poster! And your post led me to this very interesting history...

In February 1968, the Grateful Dead and a Bay Area band called Morning Glory headlined a three-night set at the Kings Beach Bowl dubbed the “Trip or Ski” concerts.

https://tahoequarterly.com/summer-20...n-rollin-tahoe

All the Dark Star recordings on Spotify, by show date: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3k...649bf089344839

Name:  GD-DSBCsingle1.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  104.0 KB

That cover has a kind of a Gage Taylor vibe. More on him.

I had a friend who was a good friend of the artist. She had this framed and hanging on a wall in her house...

Name:  gage-taylor-secret of life-750.jpeg
Views: 277
Size:  57.5 KB

There's one obvious "solution", but she had another that was much funnier.

P.S. Those old Dead posters are worth a bit these days.

Quote Originally Posted by fomofo View Post
    That cover has a kind of a Gage Taylor vibe. More on him.

I had a friend who was a good friend of the artist. She had this framed and hanging on a wall in her house...

Name:  gage-taylor-secret of life-750.jpeg
Views: 277
Size:  57.5 KB

There's one obvious "solution", but she had another that was much funnier.

P.S. Those old Dead posters are worth a bit these days.
    Wharf Rat?
    Wood craft?
    White meat?
    Wainscot?

"Well Kept".

My friend's was "Warm Cunt".

Helluva gal, that one! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Not that I’ve ever heard of.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1669986438.557790.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	436315
    That poster is hanging in my stairwell.

K2 had a few limited issue skis and boards with Dead graphics.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 12-33-58 Grateful Dead American Beauty Skis Limited Edition K2 5500 FRE.png
Views: 266
Size:  661.0 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 12-35-23 K2 limited issue Extreme grateful Dead - Google Search.png
Views: 244
Size:  545.5 KB
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I’ve never seen this before.
    It’s amazing

https://youtu.be/3H-CW12fBNA
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    That poster is hanging in my stairwell.
    Nice! What does the fine print on the bottom say? I can't zoom in enough

5-13-77

It appears to be ticket buying locations, including the Gulf station in Kings Beach also available at The North Face ski shop, incredible
    crab in my shoe mouth

Candyman sound check was nice

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I’ve never seen this before.
    It’s amazing

https://youtu.be/3H-CW12fBNA

Cooking with Jerry.

Always a hoot!

Cooking with Jerry was NYE '87.

Sober Jerry in '89 was also a ton of fun.

Jerry Christmas

THE LEGEND OF STAGGER LEE & THE MURDER BALLAD

From an article in today's New York Times (2022.12.22):

He was a classic trickster figure, common in folklore.

For instance, for a Black child growing up in the American South, Stack-O-Lee (or, among other variations, Stagger Lee, as we pronounced it) was a folk hero. “Stack” Lee Shelton was a Black man, a pimp, who in 1895 shot another man dead for snatching his hat. The story became the subject of so-called murder ballads. Shelton bolstered his legend when, after being released from prison, he killed another man during a robbery.

This man, this figure, who negotiated the space between slavery and freedom, between criminal and hero, “came to personify the collective feeling of blacks at the bottom of society, and it was in this sense that Stagolee became a symbol of the Black community,” as Cecil Brown wrote in his book “Stagolee Shot Billy.”

Writing in Mother Jones in 2011, Joe Kloc described how Stack-O-Lee became a hero in Southern Black society by unapologetically breaking its rules. The murders he committed “only serve to illustrate the injustices of southern society,” Kloc wrote. “For all the myth surrounding him, there is something very rational about Stack-O-Lee’s character: Why follow some of society’s rules when so many others work against you?

Grateful Dead - Stagger Lee (Winterland 12/31/78)

Waring’s Pennsylvanians - Stack O’ Lee Blues

Gertrude "Ma" Rainey & Her Georgia Band-Stack O'Lee Blues

Mississippi John Hurt - Stack O' Lee [1928]

Lloyd Price - Stagger Lee

Dr John & Chris Barber - New Stack-A-Lee

https://www.sandybrownjazz.co.uk/Tra...OLeeBlues.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagger_Lee
    http://headyversion.com/song/249/gra...d/stagger-lee/

NYT Source: Gods Don’t Bleed. Trump Is Bleeding.

Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

10/10/82 source # 2 on archive.
    Turn it up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Name:  Grateful Dead Yule Log 2022.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  77.1 KB

It was nice while it lasted, but sadly the Grateful Dead Yule Log 2022 is no Xmas. 'Twas a good one!

Something to ease the pain of passing...

Last edited by fomofo; 12-27-2022 at 01:46 PM.

I was at one of the Kings Beach shows from that poster. Wish I could tell you what the show was like-- but I can't ..

"Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Did anyone in the band ever take up skiing, Bobby maybe?"

I can shed some light on this one-
    Hart, Kreutzmann and Lesh did ski- at least 1 day for sure. They skied at Northstar, on rental equipt. on March 14, 1982. The day after their Reno Centennial Coliseum show. Multiple witnesses vouched. They skied through most of the afternoon, then a couple of the lift op ladies who were flying their "colors" day after after the show gave them a ride to the Reno airport for a flight back to the Bay.

In the mid 70's The Reindeer Lodge- now falling down below Mt Rose ski area, was known as the Sundance Lodge. A place with a wild edge known for wet t-shirt contests and tequila nights. Weir and his girlfriend were sighted there several times hanging at the bar, The clue was a clean marina blue bimmer 2002 with a Marin BMW plate holder parked out front. Sundance held Sunday afternoon beer baseball games out back on the snow during ski season. Keg on every base and all players on skis, usually patrol vs instructors. Weir was rumored to be around for several of those.

After the Alpine avy of '82, during the drive to name a peak after Jake Smith who was killed in the slide, a local FS crew petitioned the band to include some form of memorial to Jake at one of their northern CA shows. At the Greek on May 13, 1983, 2nd set-- Weir steps forward to the mike and says "For Jake..." and into Estimated Prophet. "Prophet on a burnin' shore". The only other memorial I'm aware of was for the "Mad Hatter" (well known at West Coast shows) who od'd at Red Rocks, leading to next days "He's Gone".

Personal story- not ski related- in the spring of one of the mid ought years I was driving home after working in the East Bay, flatbed full of construction tools. Listening to the radio, 98.5 in Sac, trying to get ahead of after work traffic. DJ comes on after a song and says "My engineer just handed me a note that reads -'Rhythm Devils- at 8 o'clock at (location)' and if you know- you'll go."
    I realized that this place is out on the Delta, real small, really rural- and the turn is 2 exits up I-80. So I grab a sandwich and 30 minutes later I'm parking behind the venue. 2 other cars in the back lot- a red 2wd Toyota pu with a shell packed full- 3 guys sitting on the tailgate with sandwiches and a cooler of bud at their feet. I parked across the lot and start loading tools into the cab- including a large husky chainsaw. A guy on the tailgate yells out "Hey if that big saw is a runner, I'll buy it off ya right now!" I crack up and walk over to them. It's Hart, Kreutzmann and the son of one of their current roadies- having a smoke and a beer and watching the sun go down.

The Toyota is full of drum gear, and a couple hours before the show- so we just sat in the back lot and shot the shit over beers etc.
    Mainly talked about fishing, traffic and ticket prices to fly to Hawaii. No music or band discussion, but it was sure tempting.
    I told them that I had worked around their road crew several times over the years. They said- well help us carry all this shit in the back door for set up and you can hang out for the show. Great show in a small hall, maybe 200-300 folks- more like a "pop up" show.
    Made it home for work the next day. "If the thunder don't get ya then the lightning will..."
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

Man, I just have to give a shout to Lost Sailor. Yeah it's melodramatic Bobby. Yes, it was on Go to Heaven and...it's melodramatic Bobby. But it's a beaut and I always find my self belting it out when it comes on during a show.

https://youtu.be/L3D71KjnWLg
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I'm also firmly in the openly accepting that I enjoy those melodramatic Bobby tunes.
    Name:  324595112_1388787561924482_8958476503444237176_n.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  191.7 KB
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Man, I just have to give a shout to Lost Sailor. Yeah it's melodramatic Bobby. Yes, it was on Go to Heaven and...it's melodramatic Bobby. But it's a beaut and I always find my self belting it out when it comes on during a show.

https://youtu.be/L3D71KjnWLg
    I only got to see it live once in the Spring of ‘86 at the Spectrum, paired with Saint of Circumstance. I think it was the last time played by GD.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    I'm also firmly in the openly accepting that I enjoy those melodramatic Bobby tunes.
    Name:  324595112_1388787561924482_8958476503444237176_n.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  191.7 KB
    THAT....is amazing. Just sent it to all my old wook buddies.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."