Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Golden Rescue of Colorodo WTF!!!

So, I have a golden have been trying to get another one from a resuce shelter. I have contacted Golden Resuce of CO. I have sent them three applications, called them 6 times and sent them an equal number of emails over the last 8 weeks. No response. Really, are you kidding me? I live in the mountains, and take my dog skiing, riding and they get to live in a 2900 square foot home, with doggy doors and tons of love. I live on an acre.
    Are these guys for real.
    I then try two other resuces, one is freedom resuce of co, same thing. Am i on a black list? These shelters have dogs. I really dont get it. Can anyone fill me in on what i am missing here? I understand that they are all volunteers, but really 2 months?

Some of the more popular breed specific rescues actually have a waiting list for dogs. We looked into a Springer Spaniel a few years ago, applied, gave em 5 bux and never heard from them. Try Petfinders. com, we got are last 3 dogs there.

Yea, I'm not surprised. I volunteered at a few shelters, and in my experience, and also what I've heard from others, there seems to be a much higher percentage of weirdos running them than the rest of the world.

I've heard a bunch of people say basically what you've said "the dog will get a ton of exercise and play in the mountains and have lots of fun" only for weird shelter people to respond that its mean to make a dog run.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    I often get the impression a lot of people get involved with rescue groups just so they can lord their self righteousness over innocent people who want a pet. Often nothing to do with the animals best interest but everything to do with their own inadequacies. Doesn't make dealing with them very appealing or likely to happen from my perspective.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Portland had some weirdo laws whereby you needed to be interviewed at home (successfully) before being deemed worthy of "dog guardianship". Then you could pay some exorbitant fees before bringing home the animal.

Fuck that shit! Next time I was in Idaho (for the USC-Washington State game in 2004), I saw the picture of some mutt in the local fishwrap, visited the shelter,filled out a page of paperwork, paid about a hundred bucks and came home with a dog.

So, what am I saying? To Hell with these "enlightened" places! Go to Wyoming or Montana and buy a dog there.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Petfinders

Our adoptees

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Thats the one.
    I actualy recevied a response from Freedom Resuce. They wont allow dogs to go to homes with electric fences. I am SOL on that one.

We went through a similar experience (yeah home interview? like I want these freaks to know where I live.) and ended up just going to a breeder. It's too bad they make puppy mills the only alternative for some.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Interesting... I volunteer for their "sister" lab rescue, Safe Harbor- and in my experience, "we" are very responsive to all applications regardless of whether they're qualified or not. I would expect them to be run the same way, but apparently they've got other motivations.

If you're still interested in adopting from them and want to shoot me a PM, I may be able to get it forwarded on through my Safe Harbor contacts to someone who can help.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    . They wont allow dogs to go to homes with electric fences. I am SOL on that one.
    They prefer the dogs to be inside all day or running out into the street?

Requiring a fenced in yard isn't that uncommon.

I have one of those used "honey bears" from Golden Bond rescue of Oregon. They are very strict regarding placement. Sometimes it might seem extreme, but they are very concerned about a safe enviroment. You don't actually own the dog you are just renting it......We call it a Honey Bear scam @ my house used rental dog for $350 when you could own a brand new one for $500.
    Last edited by yonskion; 09-14-2009 at 10:26 AM.
    "Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is" -Charles DeMar
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I have dealt with a lot of dog rescue groups over the years, and I can say that they are 100% run by weird people, well meaning, but weird.

Most are more concerned about their own self-righteousness, then about the dogs, and will not allow dogs to go to perfectly adequate homes because they have some preconceived notion of what a dog home should be.

Keep trying, but look at the local animal shelters. Adoption from them is a hell of a lot easier. Or, get a lab from Smmokan, less wet do to deal with

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I have dealt with a lot of dog people over the years, and I can say that they are 100% weird people, well meaning, but weird.
    as the son of a dog person (which is different then a dog owner) i have taken the liberty of changing your statement

go to your local shelter and participate in a real rescue...
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

I'm on the board of the Longmont Humane Society. We would love your business! http://www.longmonthumane.org

so tell them to fuck themselves and go somewhere that people will appreciate a person providing a caring home. They're probably a bunch of kooks anyway...you know how "those" people are.

It definitely sucks that they're not calling you back. They should at least call and get some info from people before they blow them off.

However, I don't think being careful is such a bad thing. For every kook and weirdo that works at a shelter, there are hundreds of animal abusing kooks and weirdos that don't deserve to be given a dog.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    So, I have a golden have been trying to get another one from a resuce shelter. I have contacted Golden Resuce of CO. I have sent them three applications, called them 6 times and sent them an equal number of emails over the last 8 weeks. No response. Really, are you kidding me? I live in the mountains, and take my dog skiing, riding and they get to live in a 2900 square foot home, with doggy doors and tons of love. I live on an acre.
    Are these guys for real.
    I then try two other resuces, one is freedom resuce of co, same thing. Am i on a black list? These shelters have dogs. I really dont get it. Can anyone fill me in on what i am missing here? I understand that they are all volunteers, but really 2 months?
    why not look at a shelter? do you HAVE to get a golden? Maybe you can find a golden mix.
    I could go on, and on, and on...but who cares

Go here for a dog

Visit this website: http://www.hua.org/dog-adoption1.html
    When I wanted to adopt a new Keeshond, I had the same issues you are. I found Shadow at www.hua.org and it was the best money I ever spent to fly him to SoCal from Nebraska.
    This is a great organization. Check them out and send them a donation if you have the spare $$$.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Thanks for the input, i will probably stop my my local shelters. I dont need a golden, there just seemed to be an over abundance of them on the site.
    THanks

Check out safeharborlabrescue.org.... lots of sweet dogs on there right now. Most of them come from the local shelters as well, if that makes a difference (we have two- one from Denver Humane and one from Grand Junction).

...or just come up to the mtns. and go for a hike/bike ride and you'll prolly find at least one husky that people brought from the front range then promptly lost.
    "When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
    Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole
    one and prayed for forgiveness." Emo Phillips

Rescues can go eat a bouquet of dicks. Go to a humane society and find yourself a better dog for way less hassle.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by snoweater View Post
    ...or just come up to the mtns. and go for a hike/bike ride and you'll prolly find at least one husky that people brought from the front range then promptly lost.

That is funny in a sick, TGR sort of way

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot