landlocked salmon

I didn't take any pics because they were so small and I wasn't even sure what kind of fish they were. But those of you that fish in Vt. should get ready for some decent LL salmon fishing in the next couple seasons.

I sort of stumbled onto a stretch of the Winooski river below the Bolton dam that was loaded with small land locked Salmon. I guess they (several thousand of them) were stocked as 1 inch fry in the spring of 2008. They are now in the 5-7+ inch range. I caught and released so many of these little guys on Saturday evening that I lost count. There was a hatch on and they were rising to anything on the surface. They were mixed in with some rainbows and some fallfish as well. I probably caught upwards of 25 fish in just a few hours. The biggest being a 12-13 inch rainbow and 10-11 inch fallfish.

I did not know what they were as they sort of looked like a trout but were silver with black spots. Another fly fisher I saw told me about them. I'll definitely be going back there next year to see how much they grew. They should make for some exciting sport in the coming seasons. Anyway I caught my fist 15 or so LL Salmon and didn't even know it.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Ran into them as well a little while back but didn't do as well as you. Luckily I saw something on the public TV station about the LL salmon in the area so had an idea what they were.

One of our lakes has been stocked with Kokanee in the past (not sure how recent). I have not caught one yet, as I don't fish this particular lake very often, but it would be fun to catch one just to say I did it, I guess.

Very cool vinman!
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

brizz, where do you fish most around here? I'm just north of you. I mainly fish the lamoille and some tribs.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

lately doing a lot of small stream stompin in the hills around here for brookies, but head to the winooski or lamoille when i have time and the water looks good