Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Follow up

Having now skied these a bunch more, I can really only say I'm very happy with them.

Performance in powder is fantastic. I've had them out in conditions ranging from bottomless fluffy super low moisture powder to creamy, windbuff, starting-to-set up powder. Point and go!

The light weight makes a big difference on long days. Trying not to sound too much like an infomercial, I feel like the weight lets me ski more and then recover faster, but without any loss on the downhill. Super-Hefty Chargers' results may vary.

On the one slackcountry occasion where they came near a hard-pack traverse at the end of the day they were fairly noisy and required attention to get on edge, but by that point my mind was on the beer waiting in the van. Durability has been good, with only a small topsheet nick on one tip, despite semi-regularly banging tips together in skin tracks set by folks on skinny skis.

Only other thought is that folks looking at options for skins might skip the BD-Split Ascensions in favor of plain old wide-body Ascensions. I'm a little torn on this, and I'm not going to be selling the splits, but I wish they would have used a slightly narrower ripstop strip. Apparently 125 underfoot is not wide enough for these skins - I tend to find the relatively skinny contact area of skin buckling and loosening from the ski base. It's not a big deal, and I find ripping the splits is really easy (nice for quick skin-to-downhill transitions), but I'm pretty much always scraping snow off the skin sections. Maybe they just need newer, stickier glue?

Anyway, bottom line - Drifters are worth a good hard look if you're touring a lot in soft conditions.

Bumping for all the new drifter owners from the Mountain Gear sale.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Bumping for all the new drifter owners from the Mountain Gear sale.
    Exactly the reason I came to the thread.

Christmas in July; my new 192's came in the mail last night. They look great, and they are big.

Surprised at the stiffness. They are noticably stiffer than my 188 Megawatts (which currently have Dukes, making them heavier than I would like), and they are lighter than I would have expected, given their girth. Very little camber, as I expected.

My plan was to mount the Drifters with Dynafits, and put some lighter straight up alpine bindings on the Megawatts. This morning, I am thinking I'll put the Dynafits on the Megawatts, and throw alpine clamps on the Drifters.

Either way though, I am stoked. Can't believe I snagged em for 250. Ridiculous price.
    Keep it unclipped

I skied the 182's with vertical ST's and split skins over Christmas in the North Cascades. They were light, easy to climb with skied great with a pack on in cold fresh snow. I am going to grab some in a few for my new BC skis here in SLC. Especially at the price. The guy we went out had a yr on the protos and loved them in everything except breakable crust. Did not really care for the split skins though , I would just stay with the regular skins. The splits didn't stick to the bottom of the skis real well in the cold (-10 F). My quick 2 cents
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Any big fellas tried the 192's out? I'm 6'3 and 245lbs in my birthday suit, probably 265 geared up. Strong, but an intermediate skier by TGR standards. Every day ski is a 194 XXL, but switching out to the 193 Girish this year. Looking for a good epic-day ski for short tours in the mellow Northern Wasatch and NHtele's pair of drifters for sale caught my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Also of note, if I remember correctly, there was a sticker on the skis indicating that they were not suitable for use with tele bindings. Probably due to the thin and lightweight construction... you'd likely rip the bindings out due to only having 4 screws to connect you to the ski instead of 8 with most AT bindings.
    This is Voile's way of telling you that they sacrificed core strength for weight loss (lower modulus = loses shape faster). If tele binders are in doubt, be careful with Dynafit.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

EARLY REVIEW:

First morning on them today. I have 192 Zero's mounted on the factory line with Dynafit Vertical ST's. I ski in Scarpa Spirit 4's, and usually use the black tongue, because it is badass looking (and much stiffer). I am 5'8", and a buck seventy. I don't ski mach looney, but like to make big turns, and ski faster than your average meadow skipper.

First impression, jesus they are light. They feel lighter than my 180 Verdicts with Dynafits on the skin track. I have full width, wall-to-wall skins too. Coming from my other fat setup (188 Megawatts with Barons) is night and day. Couldn't have been more stoked to be slogging up hill this morning.

How were they on the down, you are no doubt dying to hear. Conditions ranged from boot deep soft pow to an inch of velvet on a supportable base, to wind blown ice crust nastiness. They were super fun the whole way down. Easy to turn, and hooked up on the firm stuff when I wanted em too.

I am really looking forward to getting em out a bunch more this year (and giving a proper review, but so far, I couldn't be happier, and feel like, especially given their weight, they will be my daily driver here in the Wasatch, at least until the corn season kicks in.
    Keep it unclipped

Got my 192s mounted with Dynafit Vertical STs out this weekend in the Tattoosh up by Mt. Rainier. I'm 5'11", 185 and they turn on a dime but were stable when opening it up. The conditions were pretty stellar, so I'm interested to see how they preform in more variable snow (the whole reason I like fat, cambered, minimal side cut skis is that they make crappy pow fun). They're mounted 1 cm behind the line, which probably isn't enough to make a huge difference from a traditional center line mount, but I did like the feel of having allot of ski out in front of me, especially given the rocker tip (don't have to lean back as much to keep the tips up). Also, the back mount makes kick turns a bit easier since there is less tail to worry about when making that first step back the other direction. I haven't weighed them but they seem as light (or lighter) than my K2 Coomba's mounted with Fritschi Freerides. I hit a rock hard and it scuffed up the base but the edge hanged on, so they seem just as durable as other skis I owned (mostly K2s). I'm using Garmont Axoms but it seems like a much lighter boot could still do the trick. I have 125 mm BD mix Mohair Nylon skins that are wall to wall at the waist (with a bit of trimming) and nearly wall to wall at the tip and tail. Overall, very happy with my $250 purchase.

ok, it's about time to update. (I'm 5'8", 155 lbs.) I come from 194 LP's (race room) and 192 Salomon Rockers as my two everyday boards, so needless to say, I put a lot of energy into my turns, these have support on the tails, and they surf, slash, slay everything from low percentage fluff to punchy, crusty, used to be crap. They ski tight trees with ease and rail on groomers at high speeds. Shit, you can even milk butt wiggler turns on super low angle pow or groomers and have fun skiing on family day.

I ended up with the 192's, Split STS skins, with Dynafit FT12's, Voile Ski Crampons, and Dynafit Titan drivers.

After 10, or so days at the end of last season in SW Montana Backcountry and another 40 over the summer in Chile, I've got about 50 days on these.

This is my favorite touring set up ever! Super light, the tip rocker floats even on the skin up, you will forget they are on your back in a bootpack, and they handled as well as anything even on sustruge. love the taper.

I was a bit concerned in S. America that they wouldn't hold up for so many days mostly inbounds with not much snow, but they were hero. I only rode my backup set up (BC Zealots) twice and was disappointed at the performance loss in the particular conditions. I am going to continue to ride them on Lone Peak to see if they can hold up to the harshest conditions I know.

They do everything better, plain and simple. We have 4 riders on these now, and all 4 are screaming about how great they are.

I'm interested to hear how the new Chargers are handling.

oh, almost forgot to post about safety.

I think these will save lives.

They are so much fun on low angle terrain, because you float, pick up speed and can play on terrain features and make turns where previously you would have to go straight and pole plant or even skin the whole way back to the car (Not really skiing). You wanted to go skiing, and now you get to, even on the days that you 'change your mind' and say 'no go' after you are already out.

Obviously nothing replaces smart decisions in the backcountry. But, I have found that it is much easier to make the right decision to ski low angle terrain because it is still so much fun.

Add to previous post: dynafits are bomber with this setup, no issues for me

I have a pair of 192's waiting to be mounted soon with St's probably for use my Zzero 4's, though I do have the Titan option too. On that subject, as the Titan and Zzero are about a centimeter different in BSL, both 29's, should I mount the Zzero's on the line putting the Titans a bit behind, or mount the Titan's on the line and have the Zero's a bit ahead? We're talking about less than a cm in the end, and it probably won't make much difference, but just wondering, from those who have skied and toured with them, what your thoughts are.

Bumping?

Quote Originally Posted by Wetdog View Post
    We're talking about less than a cm in the end, and it probably won't make much difference, but just wondering, from those who have skied and toured with them, what your thoughts are.
    Yep. It won't matter. There will be plenty of ski ahead of and behind the boot in both cases, and it will turn great either way. It is hard to get tips to dive on these, and they reward a centered position. You're not going to lose that either way. If you're feeling concerned, remeasure/mark center and adjust it 5mm so the Titan is 5mm back and the Zero 5mm forward. Don't lose days when you could be skiing them (which are a lot more than you think). Mount and ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetdog View Post
    I have a pair of 192's waiting to be mounted soon with St's probably for use my Zzero 4's, though I do have the Titan option too. On that subject, as the Titan and Zzero are about a centimeter different in BSL, both 29's, should I mount the Zzero's on the line putting the Titans a bit behind, or mount the Titan's on the line and have the Zero's a bit ahead? We're talking about less than a cm in the end, and it probably won't make much difference, but just wondering, from those who have skied and toured with them, what your thoughts are.

Probably no big deal but I would go with the Zzero as there is no way I would want to ski mine anymore forward than the line. Could be my skiing style and so on but yeah, thats my input. I also dont really think 5mm will make a huge difference.

Love my Drifters. They are also great in isothermal slush and I have been using them continuously skiing slush and mank at Crystal and the BC for the last 6 weeks. This is my second season on them and I'm using them more and more.
    I've taken out my DPS 105's a couple of times but I keep going back to the Drifters. They love slush and mashed potatoes... I call 'em my slush ninja sticks.
    Not only are they my winter powder touring rig but they have become my shoulder season mush skis until the consolidation occurs and we get some corn.
    Such a great ski at such a good value.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Are they the ones you had in Japan? If so, how's the top sheet holding up?

I've thought about buying them myself many times.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    Are they the ones you had in Japan? If so, how's the top sheet holding up?

I've thought about buying them myself many times.
    Yep, same ones I had in Japan..... Absolutely fine Hohes... I have had zero problems with this ski and I've used them pretty hard for two seasons now. I hate to admit it, but even though I have thoroughbreds in my quiver( DPS 105's and DPS 112's)... the little old cheap Drifter is proving to be my fav ski for winter pow and spring slush touring.

The Drifter is a great choice for a BC ski -- light, floaty.

It hand-flexes stiffer than it skis though; they are not torsionally stiff. Not a good choice for an inbounds ski; once the snow is cut-up and choppy, I found the Drifter unstable and unpredictable. I sold mine.

Mrs. C. still has hers, and had the same opinion. I think we're going to remount her Drifters with Dynafits (currently with Salomon alpine bindings) -- should be a very light BC setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    ...but even though I have thoroughbreds in my quiver( DPS 105's and DPS 112's)... the little old cheap Drifter is proving to be my fav ski for winter pow and spring slush touring.
    Big words.

It is the drifter's price that keeps me looking, that and the local shop keep on nagging me that these are the skis I should be touring on. I have nothing but love for my 183 Atomic Atlas boards, but the Drifter is lighter, enough to be noticeable.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    Big words.

It is the drifter's price that keeps me looking, that and the local shop keep on nagging me that these are the skis I should be touring.
    I know and feel like have committed sacrilege when mentioning DPS skis in the same sentence. I've had DPS lotus 120's as well so when I look at my $2000 dollar investment in carbon fiber DPS skis and then reach for my cheap Drifters.... I shudder.
    However as EL Chupacabrs says they ain't for the resort or hard pack( although I ski them on both..all the time)and I still reach for the DPS's for resort pow and hardpack corn touring but when touring in slush or pow, even compared to the fabled Lotus 120's...which I have skied for a season... they are as good IMHO. I am steeling myself for the flaming.
    Last edited by Scotsman50; 06-08-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Mine mounted on line. Stiff tail on Drifters.

My 192's were mounted on the line, and I felt it was too forward. One ski had the toe piece mounted slightly crooked so I had them remounted after reading that they were good at -2 and asking for that. The shop tech mounted them at -1 instead saying 2cms was a lot, which it is. At -1, I feel they ski better and I am pretty happy. I am curious about what -2 would be like though.