http://www.chroniccellars.com/wines/index.php?id=5
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    for all the Sofa Kings out there:

http://www.chroniccellars.com/wines/index.php?id=5
    I chuckled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I'm in for the MSP show at Squaw. I think they are having a cerimony that day to spread Shane's ashes as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermittent
    And furthermore. What is up with turkey bacon? Healthy bacon? Unpossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite
    That is like masturbation. People resort to it when they can't have the real thing!

Alpine's projected opening is 12/5. Projected close of daily lift-served is 4/18, then weekends through second weekend in May. All subject to size of snowpack and crowds, of course.

http://blog.skialpine.com/2009/09/21...r-winter-0910/
    not counting days 2016-17

^^^ That would obviously be better than 08-09, but still not good enough IMO.

So they're saying that if we hae a repeat of fall '04, they won't open earlier than December 5th? That's weak.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUTSKI View Post
    So they're saying that if we hae a repeat of fall '04, they won't open earlier than December 5th?
    My read is that they're saying if that happens again, they'll open earlier. But only time will tell.

But I am assuming if there is enough snow on the ground, but no lift service, I can go up an skin right? Nothing like an easily accessible "BC" spot that has a nice lunch spot/deck on the summit

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    I can go up an skin right?
    AFAIK, as long as you're on Forest Service land, you should be good. (And regardless, as long as you don't get in the way of ops, I can't imagine it'd be a problem. I've seen people snowshoeing up the hill while the lifts were running.)

I should say that I'm not terribly worked up over Thanksgiving. The best case scenario is usually a WROD. I'm much more interested in staying open later than opening early.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    AFAIK, as long as you're on Forest Service land, you should be good. (And regardless, as long as you don't get in the way of ops, I can't imagine it'd be a problem. I've seen people snowshoeing up the hill while the lifts were running.)

I should say that I'm not terribly worked up over Thanksgiving. The best case scenario is usually a WROD. I'm much more interested in staying open later than opening early.
    Ditto all of this.

Although I've definitely skied 12"+ on a solid base over Thanksgiving weekend before, so that's always nice.

Yeah, I guess I read that statement as being less flexible, but it would make sense that they're a bit flexible on it. Granted, judging by last season, they can do whatever they want. I'm really curious how much their pass numbers took a hit due to management decisions that alienate passholders, the economy overall, and cheap Squaw passes.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUTSKI View Post
    Ditto all of this.

Although I've definitely skied 12"+ on a solid base over Thanksgiving weekend before, so that's always nice.

Yeah, I guess I read that statement as being less flexible, but it would make sense that they're a bit flexible on it. Granted, judging by last season, they can do whatever they want. I'm really curious how much their pass numbers took a hit due to management decisions that alienate passholders, the economy overall, and cheap Squaw passes.
    Doesn't sound like much has changed @ AM since PWDR CORP. left town. I just hope Tahoe gets snow.

Alpine Meadows dates

But i gotta say thanks to those that stated some strong opinions at Unofficial Alpine (and here) that got some attention. I'm guessing they would have gone on their merry way with late openings and early closings.

It's not perfect but in this shit storm of an economy, it is much better.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Do I detect a cooling trend starting next week????

Let me know if the annoucement feature gets irritating or if I should just leave it there and not post in the thread. I could stop completely or just not post in the thread... Still trying to work it out.

Post 1's announcements updated with this info

*** MSP Premier at Squaw Valley...
    Mag Plans:
    6pm-ish: Cornice Cantina (Red Dog) for food and libations
    7.5pm: off to the Chammy for movie (so we can get in as a group... or not)
    8pm: watch movie
    9pm: go home/apre movie festivities/encore movie viewing... whatever.

Venue: Olympic Village Inn
    1901 Chamonix Place
    Olympic Valley, CA 96146
    Time: 8pm - Doors 7pm
    Price: $10.00

***WHAT ELSE FROM MSP***
    COME DRESSED AS THE BEST SAUCER BOY AND WIN PRIZES,
    ENTER TO WIN A TRIP TO AK WITH ALASKA HELISKIING,
    NIGHTLY GIVEAWAYS… INCLUDING SKIS, JACKETS, PACKS, AND MORE!!!
    Current list of attendees:
    RaccoonFace
    Jahroy
    Jim S
    huck4bucks
    Stroupskier
    + Assorted Hot Babes

okbye
    Last edited by RaccoonFace; 09-24-2009 at 01:21 PM.
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

^^ I prefer your posts because I typically just go to the newest post in the thread, not the first post.

I'll be coming up to the premiere with tahoe_rider and perhaps other Sacto mags if they wanna caravan/carpool? We haven't decided if we're going to the 8PM or 10PM show yet. Details on assorted hot babes?
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

^^ i always go to the most recent post as well...
    Still waiting...

i'm semi-seriously thinking of making a pair of these for early season condis:

http://wherewillyouski.blogspot.com/...y-of-life.html

though i ain't gonna free-heel 'em.

that's crazy about AM...the wannabe instructor ski-off/clinic is the weekend of the 4/5 of December, so i figured they'd try to be open before that.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Cooler Collar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    ...I'm much more interested in staying open later...
    Dude! Sorry Dad_! You have got to make it to the Mammy Mini this coming Spring. Mother's day or not.
    Yeh, I know it's a few months away, but even so...
    Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    ...i'm semi-seriously thinking of making a pair of (Junkboards) for early season condis
    This Junkboarding dude (I think) featured in the latest Columbia ad. The one about the jacket with the breathable collar.
    Some of Columbia's stuff, for this season, isn't bad looking, actually.
    They must have hired a designer who's under 60, or something.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Dude! Sorry Dad_! You have got to make it to the Mammy Mini this coming Spring. Mother's day or not.
    Yeh, I know it's a few months away, but even so...
    As long as it's not Mother's Day or another critical weekend. But I've got more flexibility now. If I go, you have a ride.

IT'S COMING

MT ROSE SUMMIT
    Tuesday Night: A slight chance of snow showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 37.

Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Here is some personal un-stoke:

Damaged cartalige = microfracture surgery (also separately have a torn meniscus). None too pleased about this development. 6-8 weeks crutches, then 4 months or so of PT. Full recovery in around 6 months from initial operation.

Going for a second opinion, but looks like "Oh-9, Oh-10" is done for me until at the earliest April.

Worse.

Damn, UCL -- what'd you do to yourself? Hope the second opinion is better than the first. Heal quickly and well.

On the positive side, if we have an epic season, you can take credit....

Not remotely kidding: I was just jogging on a wet, cobbly road in Ireland. Felt a pop on full extension and knee locked up. 1 month later, and I am generally walking fine with some discomfort. Turns out, much worse than I expected.

We will see until 2nd opinion. Should I have to do this, I dedicate my couch-dome to the ultimate sacrifice for the greater Tahoe good.

Positive spin:

1. Come April, I intend on pretty much taking 2 weeks off from work, setting up a base camp around Mammoth, and going to absolute town peak-bagging all of the spots (e.g., bloody, red slate, baldwin, pinner, dana, etc...). Hopefully, that will make up for otherwise missing the season.

2. If I can get back into good shape on account of the above, re-attempting the Sierra High Route in May.

3. Transitioning into a TON of climbing at the Leap and Tuloumne over the summer.

I will apparently have 6 months to sit on my couch and plan the logistics of the above to avoid otherwise crying while I see all the Kirkwood 666 TRs.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    Not remotely kidding: I was just jogging on a wet, cobbly road in Ireland. Felt a pop on full extension and knee locked up. 1 month later, and I am generally walking fine with some discomfort. Turns out, much worse than I expected.

dude that SUCKS... hope the second opinion brings better news... also don't rule out the fast heal... best of luck on that dude.

teh suc UCL. I was thinking of the possibility of season ending injury as I scranmble down a no fall zone cliff to get some waves this morning. Hope the 2nd offers some better options.

Jim S - good eye on catching that 20% chance of snow. If nothing else, it would look nice on the peaks. Looks like we will be back into some warmer weather, tho, by next weeks end. Still, a cold snap sure will feel good. Damn hot in SC today.

behind a camera, making other people look good
    I'll be there for the late showing, definetly getting stoked.