Page 3 of 227 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Schralph! SWEET! It's still August and you posted the first TR. While that is find and dandy, you missed the important stuff: What were you wearing?

AAS - I'll add the pages in a min. Good job & thanks!

okbye
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

According to a super secret source... UCL's girlfriend called a certain resort one valley over from Squaw the week before last and asked for the preseason pass price. They gave it to her...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Anyone have data or thoughts on warm fall seasons (sept & oct primarily) leading to a light switch being turned on in November for a deep early season?
    "Buy the ticket, take the ride." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

^^^^^ No data, but thoughts.

That is often the case around here. Summer warmth through mid October, and then over a two week period, temps drop and big storm or two roll in, and it is game on.

Last season was one of the oddest. We got dump #1. Had decent coverage, and just needed to wait for another foot or so. But instead, the temps went up to the 70s in Tahoe and melted most of it away.

Not enough snow to turn lifts, but found some of the best [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140086"]corn[/ame] ever last Novemeber.

Raps- There are certainly arguments to be made both ways.

*Squaw has better terrain and an infinitely better park, no doubt. That isn't a slight to Kirkwood's terrain, which is awesome, but Squaw is just sick.

*Squaw is huge and there are a million different lines; Kirkwood is large (especially when you include sidecountry options) but not as big.

*Personally, I've always felt KW was more convenient. 80 (Squaw from the BA) and 50 (SLT/KW from the BA) seem to close down as often as one another, as far as I can tell. 88 (KW from the BA) closes down more often, but that can be an advantage. Being at Kirkwood when the Spur is closed = probably one of the greatest days of your life.

*KW gets more and better snow.

*KW has great sidecountry options (see photo below); Squaw has virtually none. Kirkwood and South Lake generally also have, in my opinion, much, much better nearby BC options.

*There are good skiers, no doubt, at KW, but Squaw is a whole other world. It's humbling, inspiring, and sometimes annoying.

*KW's chairs are slow; Squaw's are fast.

EDIT: I'll be renewing my pass at KW.
    Last edited by AKbruin; 08-31-2009 at 09:57 PM.

... and squaw's best chair spins no matter how hard the wind is blowing.
    Still waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by SCUTSKI View Post
    According to a super secret source... UCL's girlfriend called a certain resort one valley over from Squaw the week before last and asked for the preseason pass price. They gave it to her...
    I know that they were selling at preseason price for a benefit event a couple of weeks ago. But definitely worth a shot.
    not counting days 2016-17

Moving from Jackson to Tahoe in two weeks, bringing light fluffy snow, and lots of it! See ya at Alpine or Squaw and wherever else my sled takes me. Nice work RaccoonFace

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmtnsledskr View Post
    Moving from Jackson to Tahoe in two weeks, bringing light fluffy snow...
    thanks, and welcome.

bring some wet, sloppy, cement too.... you're gonna love that stuff soon.
    Still waiting...

^^^ How's the back feeling? Should I add you to the GNAR list?

If anyone wants to be added to the GNAR list let me know and I'll take care of that.

okbye
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

the back is feeling much better, thanks for asking... i've been swimming laps all summer and it's been working great.

not sure that makes me a GNAR candidate, tho... i'm usually good for about 1000/year tops. that being said, i'm definitely looking forward to a sick year.
    Still waiting...

Akbruin, thanks for those insights - I definitely have a few things to consider but I've been thinking KW as well. Obviously Squaw has the big reputation and i've wanted to ski there since I was a kid but my budget will be tight this year with the move so it might have to be KW. Also depends on what kind of ski share i can get. One more question.....each weekend trip I will be heading out with my buddy who is also a great skier and our girlfriends.....we wont be skiing with our girlfriends but they will want to ski some relatively tame stuff (blacks and blues) - will KW cater to them as well?

Thanks - I love how this post is on page 3 and its only Sept. 1st......so pumped! Anyone want me to bring anything from Colorado when I move outta here in 1 month?

AKA is offline These meaasge boards suck
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps View Post

Thanks - I love how this post is on page 3 and its only Sept. 1st......so pumped! Anyone want me to bring anything from Colorado when I move outta here in 1 month?

stop and pick up some of my stuff in Utah on your way through? would save me a little trouble in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps View Post
    we wont be skiing with our girlfriends but they will want to ski some relatively tame stuff (blacks and blues) - will KW cater to them as well?
    yes, there just isnt a whole lot of terrain. but with the amount of snow and wide array of snow quality, it keeps it interesting

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post

that was my favorite picture from last year's oh-fish thread. stoke level rising.

I wouldn't mind a warm October in Tahoe since I am moving back around the 1st......

It better be a damn good year, i gots some things to try
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow"

Moment skis

AKA is offline These meaasge boards suck
    Quote Originally Posted by kush1 View Post

It better be a damn good year, i gots some things to try
    what, handling a psycho 3 year old on the chair lift while his daddy is at fat camp? is that what you mean?

This is gonna be a sad winter for me.

Heh, at least Ill be in good shape for boat season.

Raps - As far as tame terrain, KW has plenty. My wife is a decent skier, but avoids all kinds of gnar. She has a blast there. The hill is essentially a series of mini golf lines. The even groom chair 10 when they get get enough base (usually January). My wife really enjoys hitting Fawn Ridge - though the jury is still out on the new poma to get over there. Before last year, she had it all to her self.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Raps- There are certainly arguments to be made both ways.

*Squaw has better terrain and an infinitely better park, no doubt. That isn't a slight to Kirkwood's terrain, which is awesome, but Squaw is just sick.

*Squaw is huge and there are a million different lines; Kirkwood is large (especially when you include sidecountry options) but not as big.

*Personally, I've always felt KW was more convenient. 80 (Squaw from the BA) and 50 (SLT/KW from the BA) seem to close down as often as one another, as far as I can tell. 88 (KW from the BA) closes down more often, but that can be an advantage. Being at Kirkwood when the Spur is closed = probably one of the greatest days of your life.

*KW gets more and better snow.

*KW has great sidecountry options (see photo below); Squaw has virtually none. Kirkwood and South Lake generally also have, in my opinion, much, much better nearby BC options.

*There are good skiers, no doubt, at KW, but Squaw is a whole other world. It's humbling, inspiring, and sometimes annoying.

*KW's chairs are slow; Squaw's are fast.

EDIT: I'll be renewing my pass at KW.
    Solid compare. Great shot. I agree on the access thing. I much rather travel 88 - in general, fewer kooks on the road.

So, AKB - are you a dual pass holder then? Last spring Jules mentioned the house hold boys were all getting the Squaw pass. I thought of getting a dual set up, but when I thought more about it, I balked. Wish I got the Bronze when it was still cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    So, AKB - are you a dual pass holder then? Last spring Jules mentioned the house hold boys were all getting the Squaw pass. I thought of getting a dual set up, but when I thought more about it, I balked. Wish I got the Bronze when it was still cheap.
    Nah. I've been KW all the way. Two passes would be overkill unless I was skiing like 80+ days. Besides, I'm more focused on BC these days. Also, this season's gonna get off to a slow start for me as I've got another kid coming in late December.

Dude, congratulations. That is killer, and more powder for the rest of us...

When I was thinking dual pass, I was still unemployed. Now that I have a job, I will be skiing a lot less, and more so on weekends again.

Mazel tov, AK!
    not counting days 2016-17

Congrats Frank!!! That's exciting!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Thanks guys. I admit that there was a massive coordination gap between my family-planning department and my ski-season planning department.

The last two posts made me invest in latex stock.
    Thanks AK and 666.