Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    =FLO= is offline www.coloradofreeskier.com

Anyone here had a lumbar spine fusion?

I am about 5 weeks out from having my L4-S1 vertebrae fused together. Believe me it was my last option. I had a discectamy in 2002 from a skiing accident. Both my L4-L5 and L5-S1 discs were completely blown out, pinching my sciatic nerve and giving me incredible leg pain and weakness, not to mention stabbing lower back pain. The 2002 discectamy removed all leg pain immediately, and I was back skiing in about 3 months. But once you have an operation on the disc, it weakens the overall structure and I developed horrible degenerative disc disease. After 6 seasons of skiing 50-100 days a year at Crested Butte, my L5-S1 disc wore down to the point that it was gone and my bones were simply rubbing on each other, making every movement very painful. My L4-L5 was again badly herniated, bulging, and pinching nerves. I tried every option available, and ultimately fusion was my only option. Since I had a problem at 2 levels, artificial discs were not an option, they can only replace the disc if you have a 1 level problem.

I am 30 years old, rather young for this type of surgery. I am not able to bend or twist for 8-12 weeks, I wear a supportive back brace, and can not start physical therapy until I am 8 weeks out. I am feeling pretty damn good suprisingly, my nerve pain is gone, I am feeling stronger every day, and my neuro-surgeon is the best in Denver and says I can ski in 6 months. 6 months will put me at December 21, just in time to pull out my JJ's and be ready for pow (hopeful thinking I know). My question is, has anyone here had a similar surgery? What was your recovery like, and has it hindered your skiing ability? Any help is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by =FLO= View Post
    I am about 5 weeks out from having my L4-S1 vertebrae fused together. Believe me it was my last option. I had a discectamy in 2002 from a skiing accident. Both my L4-L5 and L5-S1 discs were completely blown out, pinching my sciatic nerve and giving me incredible leg pain and weakness, not to mention stabbing lower back pain. The 2002 discectamy removed all leg pain immediately, and I was back skiing in about 3 months. But once you have an operation on the disc, it weakens the overall structure and I developed horrible degenerative disc disease. After 6 seasons of skiing 50-100 days a year at Crested Butte, my L5-S1 disc wore down to the point that it was gone and my bones were simply rubbing on each other, making every movement very painful. My L4-L5 was again badly herniated, bulging, and pinching nerves. I tried every option available, and ultimately fusion was my only option. Since I had a problem at 2 levels, artificial discs were not an option, they can only replace the disc if you have a 1 level problem.

I am 30 years old, rather young for this type of surgery. I am not able to bend or twist for 8-12 weeks, I wear a supportive back brace, and can not start physical therapy until I am 8 weeks out. I am feeling pretty damn good suprisingly, my nerve pain is gone, I am feeling stronger every day, and my neuro-surgeon is the best in Denver and says I can ski in 6 months. 6 months will put me at December 21, just in time to pull out my JJ's and be ready for pow (hopeful thinking I know). My question is, has anyone here had a similar surgery? What was your recovery like, and has it hindered your skiing ability? Any help is appreciated!
    My brother had that surgery done when he was in his late 20's . He's a world class submission wrestling expert and competes to this day he's now 38.

His recovery was on the painful/uncomfortable side and took around 6 weeks for activity and 4 months for heavy activity.

And he still skis/snowboards.

Quote Originally Posted by OSECS View Post
    My brother had that surgery done when he was in his late 20's . He's a world class submission wrestling expert and competes to this day he's now 38.

His recovery was on the painful/uncomfortable side and took around 6 weeks for activity and 4 months for heavy activity.

And he still skis/snowboards.
    That is quite promising, Thank you, that gives me some good vibes!!!

I also forgot to mention that I now permanently have 6 screws and 2 titanium rods holding my back together, not bad bling for a $285,000 surgery huh?

Blown L4/L5 disc, seeing doc #1 opinion at 1 today. Im 35. Also too young to be having this problem.

My back has been toast for a long time.
    Lots of body work and applications of St. John's Wort oil every day for a year have kept it together so I can ski.
    What's the word on disc replacements with a synthetic material that I've heard about? Seems like a better option.
    Some of the skiers I've known who got fusions end up breaking again at the fusion site and getting more work done.

Im fused from T12/L3. Would be dead/paralyzed without fusion.

Im 21, so wayyyy to young to have these kinds of problems. Im 8 months post op and have no pain no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post

Im 21, so wayyyy to young to have these kinds of problems. Im 8 months post op and have no pain no problems.
    Whoa!!! That's some serious shite - I hesitate to ask, but am I correct in assuming that something spectacular lead up to needing such a major "intervention"? Best of luck in continued re-hab.

Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post

Have you been able to ski at all?

From what I have seen on here from Matt, he will be skiing again.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Whoa!!! That's some serious shite - I hesitate to ask, but am I correct in assuming that something spectacular lead up to needing such a major "intervention"? Best of luck in continued re-hab.
    avalanche. I pulverized my L1/L2 so they fused it from T12/L3. I also broke my pelvis and tore almost everything in my right knee(ACL MCL PCL)

Have you been able to ski at all?
    hurt myself in December and have been recovering ever since. I will be skiing this coming season.

N41'25,71 W70'40,71 or my mobile ski chalet
    this is my lower back and if your xray looks like this than yes i have some experience with L4 L5 S1 fusion W/ internal fixation. no 2 injures are the same. skiing in 6 months hopefully, my recovery (16 years ago) was long but i do stuff now the MD's told me i would or should never do again. changed my gulf swing and i am a little gentler skiing. good luck
    can't spell don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by samhop View Post
    this is my lower back and if your xray looks like this than yes i have some experience with L4 L5 S1 fusion W/ internal fixation. no 2 injures are the same. skiing in 6 months hopefully, my recovery (16 years ago) was long but i do stuff now the MD's told me i would or should never do again. changed my gulf swing and i am a little gentler skiing. good luck
    Wow, exact same surgery. I feel my hardware is a bit smaller though. I figured it would affect the golf swing next year we will see, and skiing in 6 months looks very positive. I am really feeling great 6 weeks out, no more meds or anything. I want to exercise my ass off but I can't PT until 8 weeks. I have been getting in some good flyfishing lately which is the first fun I have had in a month and a half.

By the way samhop, have you had any problems with the L3-L4 level above your fusion? I have heard it is common to develop problems above fusions because they have to overcompensate for the lack of disks at other levels.

Wow, Fusion at 30. That is insane. I have had numerous back problems and have altered my activity level and the way I ski. Less bumps, more pow and crossfit/pilates ahve really helped.
    I know a bunch of people who have had the fusion, the only problem is rigidity in their movements and the fact that differnet areas of your back start to take the hits, so you must be careful.
    As for disc replacement, the problem is with failure. When the artifical disk fail it can be fatal getting them out. Usually it has to be done by taking them out form the front of your body. Scar tisse can make the procedure even harder.
    WHo is your doc in denver? I know Courney Brown is great with some bad bedside manner and I have a childhood friend (Chad Prusmack) who practices in Southern denver is supposed to be great.

Good luck, anyone who has had back pain knows what a nightmare this can be. Let us know how it turns out.

N41'25,71 W70'40,71 or my mobile ski chalet
    By the way samhop, have you had any problems with the L3-L4 level above your fusion? I have heard it is common to develop problems above fusions because they have to overcompensate for the lack of disks at other levels.
    its a flexibility issue i think. no upper level disc problems for me, but it happens i have had muscular / alignment issues. consider yoga after PT. you also might find that the hardware is a great barometer. you will be fine jest fallow directions and keep alignment and core strength in mind. you probably already know about the accumulative nature of spinal injures so think twice before hucking or jumping a dirt-bike or jet-ski, flying is great it's the landings that add up.
    can't spell don't care.

I was fused from T3-L2 11 years ago, ski 50 days a year hard! I do fine. I am a strength and conditioning coach so I know how to really keep the fitness up. I will say that I have had some problems with SI joint, and L3 is just about toast, as well as T2. (everything above, and below fusion takes the brunt of the long lever arm fused section). I had scheurmann's kyphosis, (hunchback) I was under knife for 18 hours and had about a year of recovery. I am just turning 30, and hope to make it to 40 before another surgery. Praise God I have had a good 11 years. Also, my doctor says that I will still ski in the midst of fusiing to my sacrum at some poit down the road. Most of us with fusions move about the hips anyway, and we learn to compensate. Just make sure you stay STRONG.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Townicus View Post
    I was fused from T3-L2 11 years ago, ski 50 days a year hard! I do fine. I am a strength and conditioning coach so I know how to really keep the fitness up. I will say that I have had some problems with SI joint, and L3 is just about toast, as well as T2. (everything above, and below fusion takes the brunt of the long lever arm fused section). I had scheurmann's kyphosis, (hunchback) I was under knife for 18 hours and had about a year of recovery. I am just turning 30, and hope to make it to 40 before another surgery. Praise God I have had a good 11 years. Also, my doctor says that I will still ski in the midst of fusiing to my sacrum at some poit down the road. Most of us with fusions move about the hips anyway, and we learn to compensate. Just make sure you stay STRONG.

WOW man, that makes my situation not so bad! +++Prayers to you!! Good Luck, we will RIP again!! And to whoever said it is a great barometer, you weren't kidding! Snow in Crested Butte this morning and my back feels like frozen metal.

WOW man, that makes my situation not so bad! +++Prayers to you!! Good Luck, we will RIP again!! And to whoever said it is a great barometer, you weren't kidding! Snow in Crested Butte this morning and my back feels like frozen metal.
    All I have to say is keep on doing what you love. You'll make it through, and you'll find the encouragement to ski, ski, ski. I think there are some positives to folk like us who have had physical tragedy. For starters, if it weren't for my dysfunction, I would have never found a passion for strength and conditioning/fitness as a profession. I am also more aware of taking care of myself to the point of probably having better back health than most. You'll find the good nuggets if you look. Best of wishes to you!

I am super pumped to come across this thread. I had a fracture a couple of years ago and eventually will need a lumbar fusion. Ive been freaked out about it.

Im on an anti inflammatory steroid right now that helps with the pinching of the sciatic nerve. Some days I can hardly stand up the pain my leg is so bad.

Thank you for the information.

...so would anyone recommend getting disc replacement over fusion? The wear on my cartilage isn't super advanced yet. The nerve damage is caused directly by an untreated fracture which supposedly poses no immediate threat.

Im 27 years old. Im glad im not the only skier in this boat.

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    I am super pumped to come across this thread. I had a fracture a couple of years ago and eventually will need a lumbar fusion. Ive been freaked out about it.

Im on an anti inflammatory steroid right now that helps with the pinching of the sciatic nerve. Some days I can hardly stand up the pain my leg is so bad.

Thank you for the information.

...so would anyone recommend getting disc replacement over fusion? The wear on my cartilage isn't super advanced yet. The nerve damage is caused directly by an untreated fracture which supposedly poses no immediate threat.

I think the jury is still out on disk replacement. It is not an option for me, when, not if I need more surgery down the road. Once you go through a gnarly fusion at mutiple levels as I have, the moment arm created by the rigid rod/bone/fused section causes to much tourque for artificial disks to withstand the demands placed on them. However, for you maybe they are great. It seems that minimal level fusions wouldn't be so bad as the tourque created above and below would be minimal. (Don't know how much you understand about leverage with regards to spinal biomechanics). Hope this makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    I

Do some research on this. Disk replacements are not an option. The problem is if they fail, which they do on a regular basis, extracting them is a nightmare and can kill you. For the lower lumbar, they usualy insert them from the back. If they fail, they usually have to go through the front of you body. THere was a really interesting article in the wall st journal many years ago about J and J's disk product.

I thought I would post x-rays as an encouragement. Note, every person is an individual, so symptoms will range across the board. However, I was fused 11 years ago, 14 levels and charge hard 50 days a year, huck, bump and everything in between. I live asymptomatic. I generally live very pain free! I do however take very good care of myself, and devote many hours to lifting heavy weights and maintaining an overall high level of fitness. Most of us can play hard with serious ailments, but we MUST be extremely proactive with staying ahead of the human performance/fitness game. Now pray for snow!

I thought I would post x-rays as an encouragement. Note, every person is an individual, so symptoms will range across the board. However, I was fused 11 years ago, 14 levels and charge hard 50 days a year, huck, bump and everything in between. I live asymptomatic. I generally live very pain free! I do however take very good care of myself, and devote many hours to lifting heavy weights and maintaining an overall high level of fitness. Most of us can play hard with serious ailments, but we MUST be extremely proactive with staying ahead of the human performance/fitness game. Now pray for snow!
    duuuuudddeeee.....

i have never even heard of someone with that kind of fusion. Is it fused the entire length, or does it flex in some places?

It is fused all thoracic, (12 levels, first 2 lumbar). I can move cervical 1-7, and lumbar L3,4,5. The interesting thing is this: The spine is actually designed primarily to NOT MOVE. Effective athletes have super stable spines, and really mobile powerful hips and shoulders. So... I actually have had to learn to really train hip extension, and lateral movements. Heavy deadlifting to build rock glutes, hams, abs, and spinal erectors, some lateral band work, and presses for shoulder mobility. It seems that the big strength movements have helped me develop such great motor control, my muscles tend to create, store, and use high levels of elastic force well, sparing the spine. It's been a wild, enjoyable ride learning how to compensate. Thank God for human performance/fitness strides in the last 2o years.

I am so far beyond impressed .... perhaps inspired? that's it - I'm inspired!

talk about perspective!