Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Rest in Peace, Mary Jo Kopechne

May you rest in peace Mary Jo Kopechne now that your killer's time has come.

On the night of July 18, 1969, Kennedy was on Martha's Vineyard's Chappaquiddick Island at a party for the "Boiler Room Girls", a group of young women who had worked on his brother Robert's presidential campaign the year before. Leaving the party, Kennedy was driving a 1967 Oldsmobile Delmont 88 with one of the women, 28-year-old Mary Jo Kopechne, as his passenger, when Kennedy drove off Dike Bridge into the Poucha Pond inlet. Kennedy escaped the overturned vehicle and swam to safety, but Kopechne died in the car. Kennedy left the scene and did not call authorities until after Kopechne's body was discovered the following day.

On July 25, Kennedy pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident and was given a sentence of two months in jail, suspended. That night, he gave a national broadcast in which he said, "I regard as indefensible the fact that I did not report the accident to the police immediately," but denied driving under the influence of alcohol and denied any immoral conduct between him and Kopechne. Kennedy asked the Massachusetts electorate whether he should stay in office, and after getting a favorable response, he did.

In January 1970, an inquest into Kopechne's death took place in Edgartown, Massachusetts. At the request of Kennedy's lawyers, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ordered the inquest be conducted in secret. The presiding judge, James A. Boyle, concluded that some aspects of Kennedy's story of that night were not true, and that "negligent driving appears to have contributed to the death of Mary Jo Kopechne." A grand jury on Martha's Vineyard staged a two-day investigation in April 1970 but issued no indictment, after which Boyle made his inquest report public. Kennedy deemed its conclusions "not justified." Doubts about the Chappaquiddick incident generated a large number of articles and books over the next several years.

Kennedy easily won re-election to another term in the Senate in 1970 with 62 percent of the vote against underfunded Republican candidate Josiah Spaulding, although he received about 500,000 fewer votes than in 1964.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chappaquiddick_incident[/ame]

Interesting time to bring this up

.He's dead. he did some good and he did some bad.

The fact that the people of Massachusetts continued to send him to the senate for the past 40 years is kind of sad and the epitome of what is wrong with our government

The fact here is, if he had called the police at the time of the incident he'd have likely been convicted of at least vehicular manslaughter. This would likely have prevented him from ever obtaining a senate seat, or for that matter, chairing ethics committees... for 30 years.

While Teddy might have had some talent in the political arena, he still committed a heinous crime that he was never punished for because of his family name/fame/money. Kinda like OK Simpson...wicked talented football player, but committed a heinous crime that he got away with simply because he had fame/money.....

RIP May Jo....you can now rest well.

Her family got to spend 30 years missing their relative. Teddy got to be a US Senator. He should have been rotting in jail for that time. Everything he has "accomplished" since then is tainted. It makes me sick to see everyone on TV, even FOX praising this scum. His death should be a footnote on the news of a long X-Senator who died in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    The fact here is, if he had called the police at the time of the incident he'd have likely been convicted of at least vehicular manslaughter.
    Wait? What? On what basis?
    This would likely have prevented him from ever obtaining a senate seat, or for that matter, chairing ethics committees... for 30 years.
    He was already a Senator. He was re-elected, despite the brouhaha, by a huge margin. Drunk Driving was not a felony in 1969, btw - there were no breathalyzers in Cop cars nor any of that shit. Had the cops shown up... well, he was their Senator, a Kennedy, the famous brother of two beloved and assasinated national politicians. They wouldn't have touched him either. He likely would have been able to run for POTUS more effectively had he reported the incident right away, because that's the only thing you can hold against him. He didn't kill her by not calling - she would have drowned either way.

While Teddy might have had some talent in the political arena, he still committed a heinous crime that he was never punished for because of his family name/fame/money. Kinda like OK Simpson...wicked talented football player, but committed a heinous crime that he got away with simply because he had fame/money.....
    If vehicular manslaughter is so "heinous" how do you feel about Laura Bush?

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Wait? What? On what basis? He was already a Senator. He was re-elected, despite the brouhaha, by a huge margin. Drunk Driving was not a felony in 1969, btw - there were no breathalyzers in Cop cars nor any of that shit. Had the cops shown up... well, he was their Senator, a Kennedy, the famous brother of two beloved and assasinated national politicians. They wouldn't have touched him either. He likely would have been able to run for POTUS more effectively had he reported the incident right away, because that's the only thing you can hold against him. He didn't kill her by not calling - she would have drowned either way.

If vehicular manslaughter is so "heinous" how do you feel about Laura Bush?

Your defense is disgusting and frankly surprising. I thought you more intelligent. This seems to put you firmly in the lap dog position. While the vehicular manslaughter post is incorrect, your usage of Laura Bush (someone not even in politics but conveniently married to G. bush) is laughable. Laura Bush wasn't drunk at the time of the accident.

T. Kennedy for any good he did as a Senator, used his families position and influence to evade the law. End of story !!!

Ok, I know that you're a retard so I have no idea why I am responding to this, but comparing Kennedy to OJ Simpson is just fucking bizarre. Simpson murdered 2 people with a knife. At worst, Kennedy drove drunk, got in an accident, and didn't do everything he could to save the woman in the car. That is a terrible thing, but kinda like OJ? Uh, yeah. Any minute now someone is going to bring up Hitler, I just know it!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

/\ /\ /\
    Thank you Tippster.
    And next up, we'll hear the TGR collective wax on poetically about how they find inspiration from the stellar flying record of John McCain and the spotless driving and military record of George Bush or the ethical guidance of Dick Chenney?
    These are the same voices that would strive to overshadow all that was progressive about the presidency of Bill Clinton in favor of stories from his personal relations.
    What the Fuck forum did I just fall into. Are we going to start linking to Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity now?
    Last edited by jm2e; 08-26-2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling

She ran a stop sign and caused the death of her friend through negligent driving, the same level violation at the time as (an unproven) DUI in MA. I'm not saying that Ted was a fucking saint, but to claim that he should burn in hell for an accident is pretty fucking un-Christian of you.

Way to turn the other cheek again, OSECS. Your priest should be proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Ok, I know that you're a retard so I have no idea why I am responding to this, but comparing Kennedy to OJ Simpson is just fucking bizarre. Simpson murdered 2 people with a knife. At worst, Kennedy drove drunk, got in an accident, and didn't do everything he could to save the woman in the car. That is a terrible thing, but kinda like OJ? Uh, yeah. Any minute now someone is going to bring up Hitler, I just know it!
    Everything huh??? he didnt call the cops til the next day douche...

shows how much you even know...

He killed her...had he called the cops immediately they mightve saved her...

Glad hes dead...Mary Jo can rest in peace and her family can rest as well.

"Kennedy contacted several aides that night, but failed to report the incident to the authorities until the car and Kopechne's body were discovered the next morning"

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Jo_Kopechne[/ame]

Happy reading...maybe you'll learn something.

Of course the douche said he tried to save her...you think he'd say "oh yeah...fuck that bitch I let he drown"?

Typical douche post...nice try though...

The comparison is valid..they both killed people and got away with it.. simple facts

Are you high?

Do you know how long it takes to drown? Do you know anything about where he was? Do you know what the tide was doing at the time, how deep the car went, or what the visibility, without goggles, was underwater at midnight? Do you have proof that he did not repeatedly dive down to try to find her?

She ran a stop sign and caused the death of her friend through negligent driving, the same level violation at the time as (an unproven) DUI in MA. I'm not saying that Ted was a fucking saint, but to claim that he should burn in hell for an accident is pretty fucking un-Christian of you.

Way to turn the other cheek again, OSECS. Your priest should be proud.
    The fact that he caused the accident and did everything in his power to hide that fact is a regrettable set of circumstances. Just what cheek haven't I turned ?? Obviously not the one that ever heard anything from the man about his guilt. More importantly what reconciliation did he ever bring to the situation ?? what owning of responsibility did he ever admit to ?? When did he ever admit fault and ask for forgiveness ?? His end run around due process and accountability is the issue. I also never said he should burn in hell. Weak, Tip very weak.

I could make many comments about his other many indiscretions but choose not to. Kinda makes me wonder if he really learned anything from the accident or took any steps to really straighten his life out afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    /\ /\ /\
    Thank you Tippster.
    And next up, we'll hear the TGR collective wax on poetically about how they find inspiration from the stellar flying record of John McCain and the spotless driving and military record of George Bush or the ethical guidance of Dick Chenney?
    These are the same voices that would strive to overshadow all that was progressive about the presidency of Bill Clinton in favor of stories from his personal relations.
    What the Fuck forum did I just fall into. Are we going to start linking to Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity now?
    I.... we..... they.... shit, your post isn't even reasoned enough to respond to.

Everything huh??? he didnt call the cops til the next day douche...

shows how much you even know...

Glad hes dead...Mary Jo can rest in peace and her family can rest as well.

"Kennedy contacted several aides that night, but failed to report the incident to the authorities until the car and Kopechne's body were discovered the next morning"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Jo_Kopechne

Happy reading...maybe you'll learn something.

Of course the douche said he tried to save her...you think he'd say "oh yeah...fuck that bitch I let he drown"?

Typical douche post...nice try though...

The comparison is valid..they both killed people and got away with it.. simple facts
    I read all your links, I know what he did or didn't do as well as anyone who wasn't involved, but at best they show that it was an accident, and his actions afterward were terrible. If the comparison of that to a man who stabbed and cut the throats of two people is valid, you've been dropped on your head too many times.

I am not excusing his behavior, but he is not OJ Simpson, tard.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by OSECS View Post
    The fact that he caused the accident and did everything in his power to hide that fact...
    You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means.

The fact that he caused the accident and did everything in his power to hide that fact is a regrettable set of circumstances. Just what cheek haven't I turned ?? Obviously not the one that ever heard anything from the man about his guilt. More importantly what reconciliation did he ever bring to the situation ?? what owning of responsibility did he ever admit to ?? When did he ever admit fault and ask for forgiveness ?? His end run around due process and accountability is the issue. I also never said he should burn in hell. Weak, Tip very weak.

I could make many comments about his other many indiscretions but choose not to. Kinda makes me wonder if he really learned anything from the accident or took any steps to really straighten his life out afterwards.
    We don't really know, do we, except for what has been public? I don't know what kind of forgiveness, responsibility, or reconciliation he sought or achieved amongst those closest to him, her family, his priest. Do you?

You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means.
    Yeah, pretty sure I do. Also pretty sure all the investigations found the same facts as the only probable causes of the situation. The problem is the Kennedys had a very strong hold on people of influence. Joe schmoe pulls the same stunt and he would have been convicted on many of the charges dropped against Sen. Kennedy.

Danno, you're correct. I'm putting money on the fact he's never had any words for the Kopechnes that admit his true activities (per lawyers advice).

Are you high? Do you have proof that he did not repeatedly dive down to try to find her?
    There is proof. His last name is Kennedy. Those fucks piss on anyone they consider inferior to them. The cock sucker probably didn't want to get his hair wet twice in one night

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    There is proof. His last name is Kennedy. Those fucks piss on anyone they consider inferior to them. The cock sucker probably didn't want to get his hair wet twice in one night
    Tell us about a time you had an interaction with a Kennedy please.
    You must have had loads to have come up with this opinion.
    вы все все равно скоро сдохнете

Danno, you're correct. I'm putting money on the fact he's never had any words for the Kopechnes that admit his true activities (per lawyers advice).
    Perhaps, but I bet his priest -- if he was willing to talk about it -- would say differently. But I don't know any more than you do about this than you do, that is to say, jack shit. :shrug:

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    Yeah - they really hate the little guy, don't they? Moron.
    Kennedy played a major role in passing many laws that have affected the lives of all Americans, including the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965, the National Cancer Act of 1971, the Federal Election Campaign Act Amendments of 1974, the COBRA Act of 1985, the Comprehensive Anti-Apartheid Act of 1986, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Ryan White AIDS Care Act in 1990, the Civil Rights Act of 1991, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, the Mental Health Parity Act in 1996 and 2008, the State Children's Health Insurance Program in 1997, the No Child Left Behind Act in 2002, and the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act in 2009.

Steamy Gamble Mud Guest
    He didn't call the cops that night because he was drunk. He killed her.

Then went and passed out until the next day, which sobered him up.

Yeah, he's a fucking hero.

Keep praising him.

The man was no saint, but OJ, really? He wasn't exactly the only person driving drunk in 1969.

Also, no one put a gun to Mary Jo's head and forced her into that car. It was no secret that Teddy drank and she almost certainly would/should have known that he was drunk when she got in the car. If you knowingly get in a car with a drunk person behind they wheel and they crash and you die, you bear a significant amount of responsibility for your death.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

I am not excusing his behavior, but he is not OJ Simpson, tard.
    So I guess in your opinion killing someone is ok if they didnt do it with a knife or other "hand weapon"?

I dont see the difference...killing someone is killing someone...