WTB or Suggestions: Commuter bike for my wife

Looking for suggestions or leads on a good commuter bike for my wife. Hopefully used and in the couple hundred $ range. Thinking something along the lines of the Kona Dew Plus or the Dr. Lisa. Also, we'll be in the SLC area this weekend, are there any good shops that deal with used stuff?

It's not a couple hundred. And it's not a step through frame. But it's damn fun to ride.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

That thing is sweet. And a step through isn't a necessity. I think she would really like the geometry of something like the Dew. I'm just trying to get an idea of what's out there. I'm not a big pedaler myself and everyone I knew in Bozeman had a Kona, Strong, or Rocky Mountain so my knowledge is pretty limited. Doesn't have to be cutting edge, just efficeint and comfortable.

I just picked up a 2009 Marin Point Reyes in May for 900 and now REI is selling 'em for 600. Ouch. Anyways, I can't say enough good things about the Point Reyes. It is wicked fast! At 600 it is a steal!

http://www.rei.com/product/776853

jamis makes some nice commuters too. (I have a 2007 com 3.0 for sale, but its in banff, alberta)
    the internal 8 speed is great, full gear range, looks clean, etc.

does she want a cruiser style, or more traditional?

if you have hills, get 3 spd or better yet, 8 speed internal hubs

the new trek commuters are pretty good, and i think there are some good deals on closeouts. for sick ss action check out the trek soho.

Thanks for the suggestions. I believe she's looking at the more traditional style (like the Marin pictured about). Although that Jamis looks like a nice blend between the two. I'll look into the treks as well.

as a bike tech, I give that jamis FULL marks. $800 retail, 8 speed internal, fenders, rack, nice sweep on the bars, etc.
    Cool that the 8 speed gives a full gear range of a "normal" 27 speed, just larger jumps between gears...

(maggot deal for my 18" if it will fit her)

It definitely has some nice standard features (fenders, rack, etc.), but I'm not sure the 18" will fit her as she's 6'10". I'm just kidding, she's 5'5". It might be a bit big.

Shop craigslist/pawn shops/garage sales for any old hardtail mt. bike. Prolly find one for around $200 if not less. Slap some slick tires on it, maybe a tune and a few parts and you're golden. Gears are nice to have. Old hardtail=less desirable to thieves, especially if it's just spray painted black so it looks a little ghetto. Mt. bike rims are bomber for commuting. Throw on a rack and some fenders if ya want. NO reason to spend more than about $250-300 on it.
    The older I get, the better I was.

another vote for an old 10 yr old steel frame kona or rocky xc ,thats what I built up for my touring bike

lots of those bikes were expensive and higher end back in the day ,they are not worn out but the owners want a new full suspension bike so they come up for sale

IMO those cruisers are ok for cruising on flat ground but they are not that efficient compared to a real xc bike,really the new cruisers are all about style but if they get people out riding its all good

slicks are great if you never leave pavement but tires with tread & under 2.0 inches is a better bet if you need to hit any dirt at all