Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I just read through - some solid selections. The only one I can think of that you guys missed is Bite the Bullet

The Hallelujah Trail
    Cat Balou
    Rio Bravo
    The entire Deadwood Series
    Shane.
    Clearly, not the best, but some are certainly the silliest. (I love silly westerns).
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 03-27-2020 at 09:36 AM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

FWIW, Unforgiven got remade as an Eastern.
    Back in 2013, it was re-imagined as a samurai saga by Sang-il Lee, with Ken Watanabe playing the Eastwood role.

Kind of fitting, in an ironic way, given that Eastwood became world famous doing an Italian remake of a classic Japanese samurai flick...

Sadly, I have been unable to find it streaming anywhere...

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

The Searchers
    The Wild Bunch
    Stagecoach
    Ride the High Country
    The Magnificent Seven
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    High Noon
    True Grit
    (Coen Brothers)

Honorable Mention:
    Shane
    Red River
    Unforgiven
    High Plains Drifter
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    My Name is Nobody
    Fistful of Dynamite (aka Duck You Sucker)
    She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

ETA: Any western with Randolph Scott
    Last edited by GeezerSteve; 03-27-2020 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    I have been on a bit of a Spaghetti Western jag recently.
    Amazon Prime is teeming with deep dives of the genre (i.e. post-Leone).

Two that I recently watched which were really solid were:

Cemetery Without Crosses (1969)
    Directed by and starring Robert Hossein, it is a nihilistic saturated tale of revenge.

...if you meet Sartana, Pray For Your Death (1968)
    Borrowing heavily from Leone's Dollars Trillogy, this film spawned 4 sequels. It actually has enough original flair to stand on it's own, too.

If I were compiling a "Top 10 Spaghetti Westerns" list, these would definitely be on it...
    Watched cemetery without crosses. Didnt hold my attention, but I feel I owe it another chance.

Tried to find "if you meet sartana, pray for your death" but prime popped up the 2nd one(?). Really liked this one. And shit now it shows up. Guess I'm gonna smoke another and watch the 1st one. Appreciate your recs dookey.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Watched cemetery without crosses. Didnt hold my attention, but I feel I owe it another chance.

Tried to find "if you meet sartana, pray for your death" but prime popped up the 2nd one(?). Really liked this one. And shit now it shows up. Guess I'm getting I'm gonna smoke another and watch the 1st one. Appreciate your recs dookey.
    CW/OC is kind of an anti-spaghetti in a way. It was more like a French New Wave Western.

As for the official Sartana films, the order is:
    ...If You Meet Sartana, Pray For Your Death (1968)
    I Am Sartana, Your Angel Of Death (1969)
    Have A Good Funeral, My Friend...Sartana Will Pay (1970)
    Light The Fuse...Sartana Is Coming (1970)
    I Am Sartana, Trade Your Guns For A Coffin (1972)

I am making my way through them and hoping that they are all as solid as the first one.
    Last edited by dookey67; 03-30-2020 at 08:56 PM.

DFS Services

Thanks For Share this blog .

Awesome. It was "I am Sartana, your angel of death" that I first watched. Really liked the way it was shot. Watching the 1st now. Very Eastwood-esque.

Quote Originally Posted by m619db View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 8.37.00 AM.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	322467

Whatcha peddling?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

All of the obvious have already been named, so... I know it's a modern western, but I'm a fan of Hell or High Water.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    All of the obvious have already been named, so... I know it's a modern western, but I'm a fan of Hell or High Water.
    Good call. Captain Kirk was pretty good in that. We should add Extreme Prejudice to the Modern Westerns list.

I regret not listing any Randolph Scott movies other than Ride the High Country, so I revised my Honorable Mentions to include "any western with Randolph Scott."

Re Shane: Any other mags read the book Shane by Jack Schaefer? It's by a mile my favorite western novel and far better than the movie. After you've read the book, you'll laugh at the idea of 5'5" pencil-neck Alan Ladd playing the protagonist.

Has Tampopo been mentioned yet?

The first Japanese noodle western.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

IMHO there have not been many original (and certainly very few memorable) westerns made post Unforgiven. We've gotten a lot of remakes (3:10 to Yuma, The Magnificent 7) and tons of direct-to-video (check out Prime and Redbox as both are teeming with low-budget Westerns), but again very few original, creative, and captivating new westerns.
    This is one:

SLOW WEST
    Came out in 2015.
    Written and directed by John Maclean (founding member of great Scottish band The Beta Band, whom if you have never checked out I highly recommend).
    Starring Michael Fassbender.
    It was one of my favorite films of that year, regardless of genre.

The Proposition is a good one too... came out about 15 years ago with Guy Pearce. Australian western.

Top 10 Westerns In No Particular Order...

Does Breaker Morant count as a western? I don’t care, I like it. Good movie either way.

Edit:

Haven’t scrolled through the list and presumably already mentioned , but Little Big Man is one of my all time faves. Great, great movie and definitely a western. Anytime I pass it on the rerun channel it is impossible for me not to get sucked in. Highly recommended. Faye Dunaway at peak hotness, Richard Mulligan as an absolute bonkers Custer, Chief Dan George, and lil Dusty Hoffman. Still relevant and holds up imo.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Wind River too.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    IMHO there have not been many original (and certainly very few memorable) westerns made post Unforgiven. We've gotten a lot of remakes (3:10 to Yuma, The Magnificent 7) and tons of direct-to-video (check out Prime and Redbox as both are teeming with low-budget Westerns), but again very few original, creative, and captivating new westerns.
    that describes the western genre. Lots of bad repetitive shit, a few gems.

Top 10 Westerns In No Particular Order...

Buster Scruggs was pretty good, more of a bunch of scenes than a movie, but it felt less formulaic regardless. I think a whole movie about just buster would be pretty compelling. Overall though pretty good and fresher than most

Steve Mcqueen made a rodeo-contemporary-western in the 60s or 70s that was pretty good. I couldn’t remember and It’s been bugging me for a while so I looked it up. It was called Junior Bonner. It’s not a shoot em up but it’s worth watching if you come across it.