Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Top 10 Westerns In No Particular Order...

The Outlaw Josey Wales
    The Searchers
    The Magnificent 7 (Steve McQueen, Steve McQueen, the coolest godamn mother fucker on the silver screen...)
    The Wild Bunch
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    Winchester 73
    She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
    Lonesome Dove
    Hang Em High
    Shane
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Nice list. Seen most of those (have not seen Winchester 73, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon or Lonesome Dove)

I'd add the following to the list, though:

1. Ashes of Time - it's technically an "Eastern" and is pretty existential, but it's cool.

2. McCabe and Mrs. Miller - also a bit more moody and character driven than most westerns. It's Altman, so it's an alternate styled Western.

3. The Shootist - John Wayne's final bow, is pretty solid.

4. High Noon

5. Once Upon A Time In The West - the quintessential Spaghetti Western

6. High Plains Drifter

7. Ride The High Country

8. The Man From Laramie

9. The Professionals

10. Dead Man

11. The Grey Fox

The fact of the matter is that there are tons of great Westerns floating out there, too many to relegate to a Top 10. I mean John Wayne alone contributed a lot to the genre and has a number of solid pictures under his belt. Ditto for Clint, Jimmy Stewart, and countless others. And the Italians kicked out a number of classic (but little seen) westerns that went beyond the whole Man With No Name/The Stranger motif popularized by Clint.

That said, if I had to only pick 1, I'd go with The Wild Bunch. That movie rocks on so many different levels it's not even funny.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

The Ox Bow Incident

Blazing Saddles
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Tom Horn

True Grit

The Cowboys

The Culpepper Cattle Company

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence

Open Range

Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid

The Outlaw Josie Wales

Unforgiven

Lonesome Dove
    Last edited by Rasputin; 08-23-2009 at 08:29 PM.

Paint Your Wagon.

Ok, I know it's been on TV a million times but seriously, when was the last time you watched the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly properly? I'm talking all the way through (no commercials) in widescreen. There's a reason this movie is played so much. It's fucking incredible.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

The Sergio Leone trilogy
    Josey Wales
    High Planes Drifter (painting the town red and renaming it "Hell" = genius)
    The Magnificent Seven
    Liberty Valance
    Wild Bunch
    No Country For Old Men (nobody said it had to be set in the 1800's)
    The Proposition

I really liked Dead Man when I first saw it, but it seems kinda pretentious now. Iggy still rules tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    The Sergio Leone trilogy
    The Proposition
    YES! Although maybe its a far eastern? or far western? Not sure. One of my favorite flicks ever.

Others:

Unforgiven
    Good the bad and the Ugly
    Pale Rider
    Shane, so cheesy, but so great.
    Lonesome Dove
    Winchester 73
    I really liked the original 3:10 to Yuma. You really get the sense the main character is just an ordinary simple farmer who finds himself in an incredible situation, not automatically a baddass gunslinger the way every hero has to be in most action movies.

Somehow I just can't put the Magnificent Seven on my list because I like The Seven Samurai better, which it is based on.

I really feel like I'm forgetting something important, but maybe I'll remember later.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Never saw The Seven Samurai. Weren't the Sergio Leone films based on some Japanese film?

The new 3:10 was not very good, especially compared to the old one.

I've never seen Lonesome Dove - I really should I guess.Everybody says it's great.

Pale Rider was good - what's not to like about an ass-kicking preacher? That little girl creeps me out, tho.

Pale Rider makes my top ten list too

I forgot Outlaw Josey Wales, and I also forgot to say that I really liked Ride With The Devil, although technically it doesn't take place very far west.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Never saw The Seven Samurai. Weren't the Sergio Leone films based on some Japanese film?

The new 3:10 was not very good, especially compared to the old one.

I've never seen Lonesome Dove - I really should I guess.Everybody says it's great.

Pale Rider was good - what's not to like about an ass-kicking preacher? That little girl creeps me out, tho.
    Seven Samurai is cool, its not that incredible or anything, but the Magnificent 7 was sort of ruined for me after I saw how exactly it mirrored 7S, the only difference is guns instead of swords and mexico instead of Japan. Even the characters are all the same.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Yojimbo is the Kurosawa film most often connected with Westerns, specifically the Sergio Leone Clint Eastwood Trilogy (A Fistful of Dollars, in particular).

Found this on the Net: Leone's 1964 film, 'A Fistful of Dollars', was at times almost a shot-for-shot steal of 'Yojimbo' as Clint Eastwood's nameless gunslinger went through the same misadventures as Kurosawa's nameless samurai. As Kurosawa said in a note to Leone, "You have made a fine film. Unfortunately, it is my film."

While I love the Clint joints, if you have never seen Once Upon A Time In The West with Charles Bronson and Henry Fonda, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

also Leone's My Name Is Nobody, is a pretty good Western spoof.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Never heard of it.

Speaking of spoofs: Dookey - you're a big film guy - have you ever seen A Porklips Now? I think the guy who did it was in San Fran.

Ok, theres a movie I'm thinking of, but I can't remember the damn name.

It's not REALLY a western, but I remember the plot is a piano player and a chick travel through mexico killing lots of people. I think it was made in the late 70's, real bloody and violent, especially for that time.

Ring any bells to anyone?

are you talking about el mariachi? cause that was made in like 1993-ish
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Ok, theres a movie I'm thinking of, but I can't remember the damn name.

It's not REALLY a western, but I remember the plot is a piano player and a chick travel through mexico killing lots of people. I think it was made in the late 70's, real bloody and violent, especially for that time.

Ring any bells to anyone?

El Topo?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067866/

Went for a bike ride and remembered it in the middle of a flowy techy section, it just poped into my head, wierd how that works.

"Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071249/

I actually haven't seen the whole thing, so maybe I'm not qualified to mention it, but from what I saw it was kind of cool, and very much a western, although a little later than most in the genre.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Having the pope in your head would be kind of weird.

What about the Quick and the Dead? ya it's kind of camp and over the top but that's what Sam Raimi does and quite well at that.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

I liked the remake of 3:10 to Yuma. Silly me.

Once Upon a Time in the West is amazing... as was Claudia Cardinale's rack:

I love Sergio Leone's Westerns.

BSS Guest
    My favorite ten off the top of my head:

Tombstone
    Josey Wales
    Two Mules For Sister Sarah
    Young Guns
    The Alamo
    The Shootist
    Good Bad & The Ugly
    Liberty Valance
    Few Dollars More
    Death Rides a Horse

and pretty much anything else with Lee Van Cleef. Open Range would probably be in there too if I were allowed eleven.

Honorable Mention? Sons of Katie Elder and the Treasure of The Sierra Madre

Does Gunga Din count? It was filmed in the west. I really like that one.
    Last edited by BSS; 08-23-2009 at 12:52 AM.

Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia is a Sam Pekinpah flick made post Wild Bunch and with Warren Oates, so I can see why one would think of it as sort of a Western.

Since somebody mentioned El Topo, here are 3 other "trippy" Westerns worth a look-see if you're into non-traditionalism:

1. Zachariah (The First and Only Electric Western) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068011/

2. Dust - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243232/

3. Blueberry (aka Renegade) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0276830/

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    While I love the Clint joints, if you have never seen Once Upon A Time In The West with Charles Bronson and Henry Fonda, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

Once Upon A Time
    My Name Is Nobody
    Little Big Man
    Dead Man
    The Good, The Bad.....

Others to consider

A Man Called Horse
    Jeremiah Johnson
    Breakheart Pass
    Last edited by cawaco515; 08-23-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: mis-spelled word

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Dances with Wolves
    The Seachers
    Tombstone
    True Grit
    The Cowboys
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    Silverado
    Unforgiven
    Support Your Local Sheriff

Lonesome Dove is by far the best Western "themed" film ever made as far as I'm concerned, but it's a MINI-SERIES...not a movie.
    The Sheriff is near!