Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thumbs up OMG, what a difference!

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    ....the near-miraculous results from the combined steroid and local anesthetic.

THIS is what it felt like. I feel amazing compared to a few days ago. Waking up without severe back pain is WONDERFUL! Taking it easy all weekend besides some WROD groomers at Solisunday for a few hours.

Why did I wait so long??????

I know what your going through. I was in a car accident when I was 18, resulting in a severe herniation at L4/L5. After shots, PT, chiropractor, I was still damn near bedridden, so I ended up opting for the surgery. I was fortunate enough to have a master neurologist do the microsurgery. I went about 12 Years without any significant pain. During this time snowboarding 70-100 days a year. Last winter I re-injured my lower back, do to shoveling sierra cement, firewood, and construction work. To say I was bummed would be a major understatement. This time around I didn't even want to think of surgery. Then a relative suggested I get the book "Pain Free" by Peter Egoscue. At first I kind of blew him off, but ended up getting the book anyways. All I can say is that it has changed my life. In the book there are very simple exercises specifically for herniated discs, and sport specific exercises. It is by far the best $15.00 I have ever spent. I would highly recommend it. The author also has a website egoscue.com. There may even be a clinic in your area. I would of went to a clinic, but I couldn't afford the price. You owe it to yourself to at least get the book. Now I am very grateful for every pow turn I get. I hope this helps.

Wink

Well the good news is I lasted a little over a year before I slipped a disc again a few days ago.

The bad news, I slipped a disc a few days ago and it is killing me again.
    Call into the doc for another round of epidurals and talk about long term stategy.

No bueno!!

Oh dude, that blow! How'd you do do it this time?
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

Getting a large startle in the middle of the night due to some activity outside my house and jumped out of bed in a contorted manner, felt a little pop in lower back and pain.....

Ouch! Hoping you can settle it down quickly.
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

i had surgery for a L4-5 disc herniation
    after a year of trying alternate routes including cortizone into the spinal space, the surgery made a huge difference
    hope you find some relief!

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    i had surgery for a L4-5 disc herniation
    after a year of trying alternate routes including cortizone into the spinal space, the surgery made a huge difference
    hope you find some relief!
    I'm apparently very hard headed and to be honest scared of back surgery.
    Been 10 years now dealing with this.
    Waiting to hear from the doc on next options. Would like to limp by with epys till after the season and spend the summer rehabing.

Gotta talk about all options with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Getting a large startle in the middle of the night due to some activity outside my house and jumped out of bed in a contorted manner, felt a little pop in lower back and pain.....
    What a wierd coincidence. I was outside your house last night making a disturbance when I hear screaming from inside. Scared the hell out of me, think I might have actually strained my back.

I'm apparently very hard headed and to be honest scared of back surgery.
    Been 10 years now dealing with this.
    Waiting to hear from the doc on next options. Would like to limp by with epys till after the season and spend the summer rehabing.

Gotta talk about all options with him.
    i avoided it too, but i never really got the relief i felt i should.
    if you pursue surgery, all you can do is put your trust in the best doc you can find.
    nothing to be scared of...he's doing all the work, you just lie there

i understand your predicament; good luck with however you decide to proceed!

Quote Originally Posted by frozenwater View Post
    What a wierd coincidence. I was outside your house last night making a disturbance when I hear screaming from inside. Scared the hell out of me, think I might have actually strained my back.
    Let me know when the game is over Fred, I am tired of playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    i avoided it too, but i never really got the relief i felt i should.
    if you pursue surgery, all you can do is put your trust in the best doc you can find.
    nothing to be scared of...he's doing all the work, you just lie there

i understand your predicament; good luck with however you decide to proceed!
    Thank you, any good outcome encourages me.

Let me know when the game is over Fred, I am tired of playing it.
    Apparently my "this will come across as good natured and funny" meter is broken.

No offense meant Ron Sorry to cause trouble and best wishes for a successful and pain free conclusion to your back

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by frozenwater View Post
    Apparently my "this will come across as good natured and funny" meter is broken.

No offense meant Ron Sorry to cause trouble and best wishes for a successful and pain free conclusion to your back
    Honestly I did not know how to take that, so my bad.
    I was in a hell of a lot of pain yesterday and I kneejerked a reaction like that to even people here at work and that was not good.

I will quit the kneejerk reactions in hope for true world peace!

I had spinal fusion at the L4-L5 Aug of 2009. The recovery was fairly discouraging at first , but as time went by I was able to do more and more things that had had given me pain over the previous years. I was able t ski the following season. Even though my doctor suggested I give up skiing,he knew I would be on the hill asap.Do as much research as you can when picking a spinal surgeon, if you even get a choice, and prepare for some tough days.The rewards for me have been great. I skied 40 days in 09-10 with about 10 in the backcountry.Looking back on the pain I endured on a daily basis , I wish I had acted sooner. Be wary of the epidural addiction that so many fall for. The procedure is very unhealthy for you and yet it is highly encouraged by your loving insurance company.While in PT I met many people that were going in for 6-8 shots a year for several years, and werent one step closer to actually being cured. I only put my two cents in to dispell some of the never have back surgery rumors because you only hear about the ones gone bad. There are many of us wandering the earth and enjoying our decission. Good luck, wish you well

So after several weeks the last round of shots pretty much did nothing.
    I am feeling bone hit bone sometimes and it plain hurts bad.

Stretching and PT is helping, but it looks like come summer I am going to look into a possible fusion or whatever can help.

I am tired of not being able to do much without a ton of pain.

yeah good luck. I believe that i will eventually need a fusion as well. AS good as my back feels (no pain down my leg) it really always hurts. You just get used to it.
    The pain i have now is nothing like the pain you have, it is just nagging and tight.
    I also feel bone on bone to some extent. My goal this winter is to make it through the winter with no back issues.
    I am done with bumps, groomers, pow and heli.
    started up cross fit again and see how that works.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    I am done with bumps, groomers, pow and heli.
    So you need an XXL tee for the park I see.

yeah love the park.
    air is out of the question unless landing is super fluffy, can still ski at speed though.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    yeah love the park.
    air is out of the question unless landing is super fluffy, can still ski at speed though.
    Yeah, taking after my parents, I grounded myself as well, last year.

fwiw bro...

1) I have a good old friend here in town who has not been careful with his disc problems. This has resulted in chronic pain and associated drug problems and the associated problems with that. Basically a broken life. I don't say this to bum you out but to hope that you don't do what he did, which was to always say "fuck it, I'll be fine" ...or "I'm fucked, I might as well do what I want" and always make it worse...moving furniture, jumping off the back of the truck...Just always finding a reason not to be careful, or like pretending he's completely ok until he's completely crippled.

2) This may mean you're not skiing/riding anymore. I want to tell you, and you know how important skiing has been for me, that I haven't skied since March of 2009 now and life is not over. There are good things in life for you even if it turns out that your best path is to avoid sports where you may fall hard and end up with permanent neuralgia.

I had no idea you were dealing with this. Hang in there broseph.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    fwiw bro...

1) I have a good old friend here in town who has not been careful with his disc problems. This has resulted in chronic pain and associated drug problems and the associated problems with that. Basically a broken life. I don't say this to bum you out but to hope that you don't do what he did, which was to always say "fuck it, I'll be fine" ...or "I'm fucked, I might as well do what I want" and always make it worse...moving furniture, jumping off the back of the truck...Just always finding a reason not to be careful, or like pretending he's completely ok until he's completely crippled.

2) This may mean you're not skiing/riding anymore. I want to tell you, and you know how important skiing has been for me, that I haven't skied since March of 2009 now and life is not over. There are good things in life for you even if it turns out that your best path is to avoid sports where you may fall hard and end up with permanent neuralgia.

I had no idea you were dealing with this. Hang in there broseph.
    Thanks J, having good friends helps.
    This go around I did NOT go to my family doc to get pain meds like last time. I got to the point with em that I thought I could be hooked. Scared me so I quit em cold. Gave em away even.

As for not skiing or riding, if I have to stop riding, then so be it. But I want to be able to ski with my wife and daughter as she is learning well at age 5.
    So it is up to me to get it figured out or stop before I am crippled.
    This one is the hard one I am dealing with.

So we will take it easy, one Sunday at a time. When I am made fun of for sitting in the parking lot by the crew I'll take it as they may not know or don't understand this kind of pain. Its all good.
    But as I hang at the truck, my wife and daughter will be out skiing and that makes me happy.
    This is one activity we all enjoy as a family and I would really like to keep it that way. I'll rest when I need to rest.....

Talking

So we are trying a whole different approach.
    Got a new bed, been doing the reseach.

Then got a different new bed as I learned more and the first one was just not quite right.

Been on this one for 3 nights.
    NO BACK PAIN!

Am a little sore after boarding for 4 hours straight yesterday though pow and chopped, but just a bit.

Lost 5 pounds as well over the last two weeks and core stretching with light crunches till I feel stronger.

I hope this keeps things good over the winter, as it is epic so far!